Number plate spacing....

bazza_g

grin.gif I know its everyones favorite topic tongue.gif - just need a quick pointer......

The gf has found a plate she wants to buy from the DVLA - old style format Letter, Number, Letter , Letter, Letter.

So its supposed to be put on the plate LN LLL

she wants it spaced LNL LL

do you think she's inviting unwanted attention from the 5-0 ? or would they probably ignore it ? or not even notice ?

...am I waffling ?? 169144-ok.gif

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They are getting much hotter on this.

I know someone who had V60 LLL (L being the letters of course) and spaced it V6 0 LLL.

Think he got pulled three times and fined twice and eventually reverted it to it's correct spacing.

Also, most of the time mis-spaced number plates can look a little "fake Rolex". They sort of suggest that the owner wanted a proper personal plate, couldn't afford it, so bought one a bit like what he wanted and then fiddled about with it.

Not a good look generally (although someone's posted one in the A4/S4 forum today that I guess must be mos-spaced, it's on an S4 and it does look good!)

grin.gif I see what you mean - the problem is that she's very determined to get it !

I would certainly get pulled by the police if I tried but a lady in her late 20's in a Cooper S ? She seems to think the police will leave her alone !

I suppose all I can do is advise, but at the end of the day she's probably going to do it anyway !

...keep the opinions coming 169144-ok.gif

I know some guys that drove around for months with no front number plate at all on there car - it was in the front windscreen!! Never got stopped once until leaving a car show, and then it was 'ooops sorry officer, been to a show and forgot to put it on'

But as Paul said it is murphys law - and you might never get stopped, alternatively you could be stopped 4 times in first month and have the plate reclaimed by dvlc....

[ QUOTE ]

grin.gif I know its everyones favorite topic tongue.gif - just need a quick pointer......

The gf has found a plate she wants to buy from the DVLA - old style format Letter, Number, Letter , Letter, Letter.

So its supposed to be put on the plate LN LLL

she wants it spaced LNL LL

do you think she's inviting unwanted attention from the 5-0 ? or would they probably ignore it ? or not even notice ?

...am I waffling ?? 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

sekret.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I know some guys that drove around for months with no front number plate at all on there car - it was in the front windscreen!! Never got stopped once until leaving a car show, and then it was 'ooops sorry officer, been to a show and forgot to put it on'

But as Paul said it is murphys law - and you might never get stopped, alternatively you could be stopped 4 times in first month and have the plate reclaimed by dvlc....

[/ QUOTE ]

That could have been my brother in his beetle, he did that then got fined twice in 1 day!

Whilst she drives around proudly thinking how cool it looks, she might want to consider that many people (self included) will take one look at the plate and form an immediate negative opinion of the driver.

Weighing up the risk of her being caught is not really part of the equation, it's illegal, full stop. Because the law is currently broken on a widespread basis doesn't make it OK for yet another sad personal plate wannabe to join the ignorant herd.

Sorry, but as you guess, feel strongly about this topic.

[ QUOTE ]

Whilst she drives around proudly thinking how cool it looks, she might want to consider that many people (self included) will take one look at the plate and form an immediate negative opinion of the driver.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd venture that would have more to do with what she looks like Colin! wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Doubtful, the same hormones that drive the number plate thing will probably have her blacking out the windows to heighten her self importance.

Gosh, I am in a bad mood, now to the bar!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

[treading carefully]

shocked.gif blimey ! its only a number plate grin.gif - I can assure you that no tinting of windows will occur - now go get some beers!

[/treading carefully]

Back to topic.......

I have the exact spacing that your asking about. No problems and been past many coppers and had many stare and look but no pull over son! *Touches wood*

My mate is a copper and says that you can see everything fine. No screw covers in funny places etc!

Also which plate would you remember more.. HT 51 GDF or *** ** . Doesn't matter what you have if a copper wants to pull you over he will... Even more so if they don't know what your car is! ROLLEY~14.GIF

grin.gif on balance were talking no funny fonts, no screws in strange places, just the space moved one character right - I've told her its UHOH7.GIFillegalUHOH7.GIF but the chances of getting pulled are slim so its her choice.

..the last thing I want to get is 'the blame' if she does get pulled by the fuzz yelrotflmao.gif

It is an offence but it really depends on the cop and the force! Some police forces have a scheme where by u get a producer style ticket which means u have to get them changed within 14 days and get the ticket stamped at an MOT centre before taking it back to the police station.

I know of some people who have had this and then swapped their illegal plates back

This scheme isnt compulsory and the cop can just give u a £30 ticket, the risk is up to u!

I got pulled the other day, I have not messed with any dodgy screws or altered the lettering, you can see it very clearly.

The only thing that I had done was altered the spacing, there should be a 33mm gap between the prefix (and numbers) and the next letter, my gap was 15mm.

I thought this was petty as that day four police cars had been behind me (not all at the same time) and not stopped me. This plod was on a bike and after I had a rant he fined me.

His specfic duty of the day was to stop cars with altered plates. fekr.gif

This is something they are cracking down on, the decision is yours, my only advice is not to rant at the officer when you get stopped(thats if you do), he might not fine you and only give you an initial warning. blush.gif

sorry to hear that. bad luck i guess!!

my plates are legally spaced cos its my initials, not a word or anything, but i dont see the harm in a little spacing adjustment when you've paid a premium for a personal plate anyway.

making the letters/numbers look different is a nono as the cameras wont detect you properly and thats cheating, but adjusting the spacing makes no difference if you havent connected them or something.

The problem is, if you allow "a bit of adjusting" where do you then draw the line?

If they say "well, we'll allow a little tweaking of the spacing" then someone will tweak the spaces and then add a black screw head or something and say "well the spacing's not illegal, so it's only the screw head thats a little bit dodgy..." and so on and so on.