Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
UBM

130 TDI tuning box

14 posts in this topic

just thinking about fitting an analogue tuning box (up to 30bhp boost). seen some on e-bay for about 50 notes - anyone got one? it works by injecting more fuel - any obvious problems, except using bp ultimate diesel? sekret.gif

Cheap way of getting a power boost, be careful you don't blow your clutch though with all that new torque. The one box usually fits a number of models too so it probably won't have been very well tested on yours. Also, overfueling a diesel causes them to smoke, I always enjoyed not having people switch their lights on behind me when I booted it, it'd be a shame to lose that.

I looked into the whole chip thing with my TDI, but the 130 is a well sorted engine and there's nothing much wrong with the power it already delivers. You won't get anymore top speed from it as the engine hits the red line in top at 130mph, and the best you'll probably manage is to keep up with the fast boys a bit easier.

How big is the risk of doing damage to the engine. I don't really spank the car anyway - just thought I'd give one a go to see what the benefits were. Still, having bid for one I'm still not sure about actually fitting it. I don't think the extra torque quite hits (well, anywhere near) the 300Nm required to start clutch slippage - but if people think it's too risky, I'll remain chicken! SPericani2.gif

Give it a go, stick it back on ebay if you don't like it. I've never heard of any serious damage being caused by one so the risk is probably low.

[ QUOTE ]

How big is the risk of doing damage to the engine. I don't really spank the car anyway - just thought I'd give one a go to see what the benefits were. Still, having bid for one I'm still not sure about actually fitting it. I don't think the extra torque quite hits (well, anywhere near) the 300Nm required to start clutch slippage - but if people think it's too risky, I'll remain chicken! SPericani2.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you not mean lbs/ft rather than nm. The 130 already has over 300nm of torque?

Indeed I stand corrected - can't get used to old units - as a Scientist I should know sekret.gif better!

Sorry could you clarify about not using BP ultimate with the Tdi tuning box? I have one, should I not use Ultimate?

[ QUOTE ]

You won't get anymore top speed from it as the engine hits the red line in top at 130mph.

[/ QUOTE ]

You what, thought it was a 6spd. confused.gif

Ian C

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

You won't get anymore top speed from it as the engine hits the red line in top at 130mph.

[/ QUOTE ]

You what, thought it was a 6spd. confused.gif

Ian C

[/ QUOTE ]

Correcto Mondo, my old 6 spd Tdi topped out at a similar speed, with the Oettinger re-map I managed 142mph.

sekret.gif

Still some way from the redline surely: Thought the more modern engines from VAG and BMW had interstellar sixth gears to tick over at just 2000 rpm around 75~80 mph? Surely it is geared to more like 160 mph if you can find a downhill straight long enough. The new[ish] stretch of the A93 over Glenshee springs to mind....

Ian C

Hmm - I'm not planning on breaking speed records - I might lose what little hair I have left or even my hat sekret.gif. I just want a little bit more poke for overtaking. By the way finally found an Insurance company to cover me (Egg).

On your cars i wouldn't bother with a box spend the extra and get it re-mapped AMD,SUPERCHIP,REVO,JABBA, come to mind unless of caurse you like smoking like me.

I'm very happy with my box thanks, at least until the warranty on the car expires. I can pop it on and off in a few minutes...and it only cost about 60 notes!