EVO Magazine.

Riz

The R32 in the EVO magazine has been regarded as the best of the 200bhp+ class for years now but after reading the first lines of the new MK5 GTi review im thinking they are two-faced.

They have always said that the R32 is more than a hot hatch or a GTi... somewhere in between the hatch sector and the 4x4 jap cars sector.

This is what they said..... confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]

The Golf GTi is back - bold, unambiguous and, by the looks of the spec, equiped to on the leading fast hatches. Its about time. There were four sporty Golfs in the MK4 line-up and none of them hit the nail on the head; not the limp 115bhp GTi, soul-less 150bhp 1.8T GTi, loping 170bhp V5 or the four-wheel-drive 237bhp V6 R32

[/ QUOTE ]

F@cking nutters!

Riz jump.gif169144-ok.gif

2 points....

a) Its going to take one heck of a Golf GTi to whip an R32. The reviews of the R were done when they were new and 'stiff' but a loosened up R32 is going to be a hard car to beat. GTi may have 200bhp and a turbo but its FWD and I don't think the suspension and brakes are going to be that top spec.

b) If anyone is daft enough to buy one at £23k then fair do's to them - but you won't catch me parting with my money for one.

With reagrd to what EVO have written I wouldn't read to much into it. It all about the 'new# and whats hot, the R32 is now a 'yesterady' car and so they'll be wanting to show the MKV as the Golf class leader. What they fail to understand is that the R32 was never a run of the mill car or part of VWs line up. Its an end of line, limited run production model which is was designed to be something special.

Its not in the same class as the rest of the VW Golfs, its above that - shouldn't really compare the two.

.... but, yes should I come up against one I'm sure they'll want to test it out against the R32 and I'll be happy to oblige, assuming that I ever see one that that price smashfreakB.gif

One other thing to bear in mind, Evo had the R on long term test, but never got to experience the change of the car when 6463 was added, they commented in their final write up that they felt it needed something extra & that they had noticed the engines hesitancy (maybe VW stood up and listened at this point?). IMHO, I think if it were possible to have the same R32 on the MKIV chassis, you would see our cars trounced. The MKIV chassis is better (again IMHO), sharper & much more responsive. Hence, the 2.o FSI probably feels great. But, for what you could see of it, the interior looked extremely bland to me.

Anyway, Riz, why don't you right to them & pull them up on it?

I wrote to EVO about their total change of heart and exchanged several emails with Hilton Holloway.

Basically the main gripe was the hesitancy (now cured) and it simply appeared that he was bored with it (he admitted as much as the news editor - Old car, old news).

The R32 did win "The Decider" against some serious competition and did very well in the ECOTY thingy too.

The other journos still like the car A LOT but Mr H's main priority is news items.

When you read any car article, read it with a pinch of salt as there is still no mag on Earth that isn't biased.

I have actually stopped buying EVO due to what I percieve as their awful attitude.

There are a variety of reasons, but mainly amoungst them is the fact that they won't put my car in the knowledge (Fabia vRS) despite haveing the 1.4 in.

I have written to them on several occasions, both to the editor and to the knowledge feedback and been flatly ignored. Roger Green even had the cheek to show up on Briskoda asking people along to an EVOactive event, was asked to give ana nswer to why the Fabia was ignored, said he would reply and never did.

I have come to the conclusion that they really truly hate diesel cars, particularly small ones. On closer inspection there is no 206 GTi HDi, Ibiza FR 130pd etc. I just do not think that that is right. This is not the place to go into the good or bad points of these cars, but they do have their very strong benefits.

Hilton holloway, on the other hand, is a top bloke. i had reason to interview him when he still worked for CAR and we chatted for over an hour - the interview should have only lasted 30 mins. 169144-ok.gif

I enjoy the expensive, high performance focus of EVO and am not one of these "your reader can't afford what you write about" people, but I strongly feel that they think they don't need to try.

TBH buyin Autocar each week and CAR each month does me. It also leaves EVO to browse in the shops when the missus is shopping jump.gif

Cheers,

Ross.

[ QUOTE ]

I have actually stopped buying EVO due to what I percieve as their awful attitude.

There are a variety of reasons, but mainly amoungst them is the fact that they won't put my car in the knowledge (Fabia vRS) despite haveing the 1.4 in.

I have written to them on several occasions, both to the editor and to the knowledge feedback and been flatly ignored. Roger Green even had the cheek to show up on Briskoda asking people along to an EVOactive event, was asked to give ana nswer to why the Fabia was ignored, said he would reply and never did.

I have come to the conclusion that they really truly hate diesel cars, particularly small ones. On closer inspection there is no 206 GTi HDi, Ibiza FR 130pd etc. I just do not think that that is right. This is not the place to go into the good or bad points of these cars, but they do have their very strong benefits.

Hilton holloway, on the other hand, is a top bloke. i had reason to interview him when he still worked for CAR and we chatted for over an hour - the interview should have only lasted 30 mins. 169144-ok.gif

I enjoy the expensive, high performance focus of EVO and am not one of these "your reader can't afford what you write about" people, but I strongly feel that they think they don't need to try.

TBH buyin Autocar each week and CAR each month does me. It also leaves EVO to browse in the shops when the missus is shopping jump.gif

Cheers,

Ross.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good to see you're still holding that grudge there Ross........ya miserably wegie!!

jump.gif

Trust all's well!

beerchug.gif

JT

[ QUOTE ]

Here's my 2p worth:

If the Mk5 is 2wd with 197bhp, in the right conditions it will beat the R32.

Just a guess, based on learning that our beloved 4wd systems suck a whopping 106bhp out before it hits the wheels!

Just pray for rain!

english68

[/ QUOTE ]

My R's just been in for a load of warrenty work and instead of having for just the one day they kept it for 5 frown.gif They gave me a mkV demonstrator as a courtesy car.

I've read the reviews on them but wasn;t convinced they where that great. But after driving one around, although only a 1.6, I was very impressed. The handling and brakes are brilliant, much, much better than the mkIV (as is to be expected seeing as its a new car and the mkIV's what 7-8 yearsld now!). So if this is anything to go by the Gti will be a cracking motor.

Who would be stupid enough to buy one, well a lot of stupid people spent at least £22K on a mkIV golf r32 which was nearing the end of it's life, which turned out to be full of faults, is too heavy, drinks fuel and costs a fortune to run... God I love my car laugh.gif:D:D:D:D

At least the mkV should be chippable to some stupidly high figures laugh.gif:D:D:D:D

J.