Freeview services

shao_khan

[ QUOTE ]

The French are very fussy about UK broadcasts being avaliable in France so the transmitter masts are designed to make sure that doesn't happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why does this not suprise me? They do not want Le BBC then, or L'ITV 2. How about Le Chanel 4.

One thing, I bet they can get Le Chanel 5, as I can't!

I doubt very much it is a French rule.

UHF radio waves only work by line of sight and the range can be calculated by 1.25 x sq.rt(h) where h is the height of the antenna in feet.

You can find the height of the transmitter aerial here where it says Dover is at 366 feet.

Assuming it is omnidirectional, the range of signal will be just 24 miles. Barely enough to cross the channel.

The above formula is all related to the distance to the horizon, curvature of the earth etc.

Its not a rule per say but they 'asked' nicely ...

The transmitters are not omni directional at all the coverage patterns are very intricate. I've got on paper somewhere the pattern for Crystal Palace and its quite mad.

Also the Dover one has specifically been shortened to make sure it doesn't reach France. If you look at my local transmitter (mendip) its 589 feet, so quite a difference to Dover's 366!