Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CarMad

New Golf GTI - Going to be a hit ?

21 posts in this topic

No I haven't ordered a new golf GTI but I have been reading all of the magazines that dropped through my door this week.

Autocar thinks its very good and will be able to go head to head with the best hot hatches and not loose out. Beating the Renault Megane Sport 225 and Honda Civic.

Evo is very impressed with the engine a cracking motor calling it 'Stimulating and effervescent' and great ride and handling the golf is back to being a proper GTI. They gave it 4.5 out of 5 169144-ok.gif

And CAR seems to think its good but the reviewed it seems is a big fan of the Mini Cooper S Cooper Works and thinks thats the best but the Golf is in second place. A few dodgy comments if you ask me an a little too biased.

I myself have just taken delivery of a new A3 Sportback with the new 2.0 T FSI engine that the car is going to use. I haven't given it the full right foot yet ! But I can say it is very refined but has a great exhaust note, nice and fruity and with bags of character. Its very torquey indeed and as good as my previous 2.5 TDI and 2.0 TDI I test drove. Car feels very secure and corners like a dream and seems very light on its feet.

Anyway if you thinking of getting one I would have a read of a few of this months mags in the newsagents. Now where are my keys ....

From a look perspective - I am just not convinced about that big black grill it has. Also looked at a 2.0 tdi and felt the interior felt a little cheap compared to my Mkiv and the A4.

Said it before, but worth saying again..... I think as a car the MKV GTi will be a capable wee motor and no doubt it will drive and handle well BUT theres no way on God's wee green and blue planet that I'm going to pay £23k for one.

That a much as the R32. Its a Golf GTi not a an EVO or STi and it should be reflected a such in the price, ie under £20k. Theres a huge market out there that lives and buys in the <£20k bracket and VW are missing out on a heap of sales by pricing it at £20k and above (need the options to make it worth while and that brings it up to £23k)

169144-ok.gif

Agree all the way but I think that despite the inflated price, it'll sell very well. Makes me think that the new MkV R32/R36 will come in at c£26k without any add-ons!!! shocked.gif

True when you look at it like that. Some of its rivals are 4k less which is obviously a lot.

Raises the question of are all golfs a little too expensive and maybe getting a little to close to Audi territory?

Last VAG talk I heard fo was that VAG wanted to increase the gap between VW and Audi in order to maintain the Audi marque.

I'd have thought that if you're into the £20k + bracket for a VW you might as well stick a few £k more and get an Audi - I would !!

Autocar this week advertised a site (www.drivethedeal.com) where you can order a new GTi with £2,125 off Retail Price...not bad if it's the car for you. 169144-ok.gif TP.

[ QUOTE ]

I'd have thought that if you're into the £20k + bracket for a VW you might as well stick a few £k more and get an Audi - I would !!

[/ QUOTE ]

...Then again if you were in the market for a Type R, you might as well stick a few £k more in and get a Golf- I would !!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

...Then again if you were in the market for a Type R, you might as well stick a few £k more in and get a Golf- I would !!

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not just a few more though its about £4k more isn't it?.. Huge price!! I thought GTI's were ment to be around £15k not £20k+. Think the real GTI's are the segment below the Golf now.. POLO sized cars, Golf is very grown up now.

When will we see a new decient GTI Polo? Small light B road basher! Just like all the GTI's were in the late 80's and early 90's.

[ QUOTE ]

Small light B road basher! Just like all the GTI's were in the late 80's and early 90's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, a spot on statement.... this is what a GTi is all about..... and it should cost nealy £24k !!! Thats just silly. £24k buys you a decent Boxter, an STi or Evo.... seen a X Reg Tuscan S for £26k 169144-ok.gif

The Mrs got a letter from VW asking if she wants to pre-order her Golf GTi .... i sent them a letter back saying HAhahahahahahahahahaha.

[ QUOTE ]

The Mrs got a letter from VW asking if she wants to pre-order her Golf GTi .... i sent them a letter back saying HAhahahahahahahahahaha.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice one !!

I wrote this in the "Spotted" forum where a conversation about the cost of the new Golf GTI started. I think it's probably equally relevent here too so I'll add it and see what you Golf guys think.

beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

The truth of the matter is that the Golf GTI will be bought as an alternative to a basic 3 Series, not instead of a specced up Clio.

What the Golf has (and what makes it worth the extra) is all the performance, but as well as that it is a good place to be sat when you're in traffic, it's quiet and comfortable on a long journey, its as safe as anything that sized in a crash (what would you rather be in in an accident, a Golf or a Clio), it (should) last and maintain its quality over many miles and years.

Long time ago I had a MKII Golf GTI and I LOVED that car because it was every car in one. It was a hatchback shopping trolley when I went to Tescos, it was a refined comfortable long distance cruiser (used to go to Liverpool and back in noe hit in that car!), it was a quality item that made you feel good with everythingt you looked at or touched. And the icing on the cake, it was a responsive and fun sports car on the right road when in the mood.

It was about £12K back then (1991) and replaced a base model Peugeot 309. And although it was dearer than a 309GTI the quality of the car was in a different league. Plus, after 70,000 miles the 309 felt worn smooth. After 80,000 miles the Golf felt exactly the same as the day I picked it up.

I replaced the Golf with a second-hand Honda Prelude VTEC, all the bells and whistles, over £20K new so a lot dearer than the Golf, and within a couple of weeks I thought "what the hell have I done?" Sure the Honda was quicker and had all the toys, but it felt cheap inside and out compared with the Golf.

I believe (from what I've read/seen) that with this new Golf VW have finally got back to what the Golf GTI was all about when I had mine. A classless, high quality, high performance, classy, quality, comfortable, wonderful car.

And sure, it might be dearer than other cars which, on paper, appear similar. But if they really have recaptured the magic formula then it really will be worth every penny.

Proof of the pudding is, if I couldn't have a soft top and I had £20K to spend on a car tomorrow, then with the possible exception of the A3 I honestly can't think of a car I'd rather have for the money.

Forget Clio Cups, the Golf GTI is for someone who would have bought a 318i and gives them the opportunity to have a fun drive without sacrificing the quality, image and comfort of their Beemer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure the price of this car has been discussed in detail but I have just come across the price in the UAE. I'm a little surprised because its the eqiv. of 14,000 pounds. and that buys you DSG 18" alloys and sunroof as standard.

So compare that to the UK's 22,000 pounds plus for a similar spec....

I thoughtthe UK price was a little steep before I found out the price here, but now... I think VW UK is really taking the piss..Even taking into account the low tax over here and even if I add 17.5 % on thats still 6k more for the same car in the UK compared to the UAE!!

I'm sure I read that there is a Polo GTI coming out with a 150hp engine (presumably the 1.8T).

Now that will be a little cracker! 169144-ok.gif

The tuning potential of the 1.8T is well known and that'll make the Polo GTi a fast wee car smile.gif169144-ok.gif (if 150bhp wasn't enough)

Could this mean the new "it" VW could be the POLO GTi?? Now when I was a wee boy, I remember seeing a Mk1 Golf GTi and thinking to my self, I have to get one of those... no matter what I have to get one of those because sometimes the drive has to be as good as the icon it's self and when I was old enough and bought my first golf Mk1 GTi the feeling was great because not only was it everything I wanted it to be and more, it was to motoring icon I grew up with. I'm not sure if the POLO has the same effect. Will school kids hang pictures of the polo like we hung up pictures of the golf??

I'm just wondering, if the POLO is going to take that spot and does become the new "it" car... what market is the golf aimed to now, because I wouldn't buy it and something tells me it will not be grabbing the fleet managers eyes either at that price!

Pete

[ QUOTE ]

and something tells me it will not be grabbing the fleet managers eyes either at that price!

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets hope not - wasn't the MK4 GTI one of the UKs best selling company cars for a while? No wonder they were everywhere.

Last month's CAR had a world exclusive first drive of a mule Polo GTI, equipped with the 150 engine. They reported that there will be a limited run of 180bhp ones.

Could be a cool little car - but no doubt it will still be a bit over priced FIREdevil.gif VW seem to have a habit of doing that yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif

AFAIK, the 150 engine uses a different turbo to the 180 and is not quite as tuneable?? Mind you, that can always be changed grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

AFAIK, the 150 engine uses a different turbo to the 180 and is not quite as tuneable?? Mind you, that can always be changed grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but you can still get 200bhp out of the 150bhp engine and that in a Polo would be pretty nippy me thinks smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Lets hope not - wasn't the MK4 GTI one of the UKs best selling company cars for a while? No wonder they were everywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, I remember the company I worked for at the time gave their managers the choice of either a BMW 320 or a GOLF GTi... no points for guessing what they went for! wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the kind of situation I'm in smile.gif

I've been considering a Type R for months, the extra 3k or so I need for a Golf GTI isn't easy to justify, but on the other hand, the Golf GTI offers all the little luxeries I would like but are not optional with the Type R.