What's the closest shave in a car you've had?

russellfray

Prompted by another thread, I'm wondering what the closest people have come to being nicked, crashing, killing somebody etc but escaped by milliseconds? And, has it changed your driving habits?

Here's mine!

My worst was coming home from work very late (about 3am after working solid for 36 hours) several years ago. Me and a mate had both been in the office working to meet a deadline. We were kind of racing home but not at stupid speeds, just taking it in turns overtaking etc as the roads were empty and generally "playing". He was infront and we were coming up to cross roads. He went through just as the lights were changing to red. Without even thinking I followed at about 60mph. As I entered the junction I heard this huge "BEEEEEEEEP" and from my left saw this bloody great big HGV belting towards me, literally metres away. Next thing I knew I was driving out the other side of the junction as if nothing had happened but pulled over shortly afterwards as I was really shaken up due to the close shave. Ten mins later got back in and drove home. Parked the car up and noticed that a chunk of my rear corner bumper was missing where the truck had skimmed the back of the car. Due to our combined speeds (both doing approx 60mph), had I entered the junction just a fraction of a second later I probably would be dead.

I still have flashbacks today about the truck and it's taught me never ever ever to run a red light.

mine was pure stupidy.

xmas day s few years back; it was my first car [had been driving dad's old sunny for years before i got my civic] and i'd only had it 2 months - first big motorway journey in it.

driving back from work ashford to manchester, pouring with rain.

obivously on that day there was no traffic and i got from kent to jn 19 in a shade over 2 hours. those of you who know this route...getting off at this junction is a small windy road and near the BP i took off from the traffic loghts at speed, wondered what the heck cars were doing coming toward me as i skidded at a notorious bend.

overcorrected and in the car it felt like i had just come up on 2 wheels for a bit then stopped in a field.

as it turns out [accordingly to the family who was in the car behind me atthe lights and pulled me out as well as the cops, later, since they had interviewed a couple of eye witnesses] i had done 180 turns in at least 2 planes, i had gone through a little tree on the edge of a field UPSIDE DOWN [destryong the little tree about 1/2 way up!] and then i had slowed by basically ploughing this field for a bit. the driver's side was destroyed, the passenger side untouched.

my injuries? a little cut to my head, wounded pride!

oh and cops who managed to finally get to me and breathalise me 3 times and ask if i really was the driver as the state of the car and my injuries didnt tally....

it was a life-changing moment

mine was nearly being killed by some twit accelerating whilst i was overtaking them.

it was a country lane with a long straight near chesterfield.

i'd started overtaking someone going at about 45mph, and someone behind me had followed too, expecting i'd overtake quite quickly and it was a rather long straight with nothing coming the other way.

anyway, the f***head i was overtaking accelerated. i couldnt brake as someone behind me. i had to accelerate and ended up at about 90+ to get infront of him and on the correct side of the road, just before a sharp corner. i just about managed to keep the car under control as another car came wizzing round the corner in opposite direction.

its changed my driving as whenever i overtake now, i assume they will speed up, so i overtake with plenty of mph to spare.

a friend just saw this thread and reminded me about the time i was at the wheel and we aquaplaned around a bend in the scottish highland around some mountain or other...

hhhmmm this isnt getting very flattering but the important thing is "it was all a long long time ago!"

and of course i'm a paki - wot gave it away? my name?

The combination of Sunny and Civic, couldn't be more stereotypicaly paki. My mates got a civic, he's not graduated onto a sensible car yet, still lusting after a type R though. Having said that he went to pakistan for a month long holiday to see his grandparents and caught hipititis and malaria, he's still there and it's been about 10 weeks. Dunno what they'll say when he goes back to work.

Racing round the Scottish Highland roads obviously intent on breaking land speed records or something....

I came round a corner only to find a Suzuki Vitara Side on in the middle of a not very wide road....

It was raining extremly hard and my MK2 Golf with no power steering and NO ABS was a right hand full to keep on the staight and narrow as I headed for the side of this Vitara with full brakes on and teeth gritted.

I managed to slow enough to control my general direction and Aimed for the verge and round the front of the Vitara..

Prefering to hit Scotland and not Vitara. Except there was a wall (scottish Dyke) which my left wheel hit pitching the left side of the car in the air, The right hand side of the car scraped down the front bumper of the Vitara....

Result... The scrape was so close I actually rubbed the rubber residue from the Vitara bumper off by hand...Not a mark (wing mirror got banged in) The front left wheel had driven up the wall only leaving a small cut in the tyre wall and my front wheel out of alignment.

Close one.... tongue.gif

A 120mph off in the the Armco at the Nurburgring. I only got a few bruises, muscle strains and a sprained wrist. I was told afterwards, that someone did the same thing a year earlier but due to being on rock hard race suspension, rather than hitting the armco the kerb projected them over it. The car then landed upside down in the main road and was hit by a lorry.

Me - sprained wrist. Him - dead.

That's close enough for me. crazy.gif

I had a head on collision once, 60mph on the A5 in northamptonshire, I was drivign down the road at the speedlimit (just passed a speed trap) when next thing I know a lady driver heading in the other direction turns right just ahead of me, so close in fact I didnt even have time to hit the stop pedal, needless to say it hurt, but other than bruising, some cuts and muscle tears I walked away, granted it took me 3 months til I could drive again due to the muscle damage.

Thing that made me realise how lucky I was is the Drivers daughter, she was in the passenger front seat, she was in hospital for several months, had to have a defribulator (sp) at the roadside, basically when I hit the side of the car it shortened mine by 4feet roughly, but her car it just folded the roof down onto the passenger and almost took her head off - not pretty.

Funny thing is the CPS decided not to bring a prosecution against her for careless driving as it was 'an accident' and she had suffered enough, same woman did the same thing about 3 years later.......

Just after learning to drive, i came off a roudabout lost (my mums) car on some oil, and bounced it off 3 buildings.

I just missed a pedestrian, and was told by the policeman, if id have been speeding id have died, i came away with nothing other than a bruised ego, a written off car (well it should have been, long story) and a very angry mother.

Take one Mini Cooper S. Add driver and send it at speed down dark country lane in Wales.

Purchase one large, especially stupid sheep and let to go to sleep on roadside at apex of sharp left hand bend on a hillside.

Strike sheep firmly with Mini and spread across road.

Shake contents of Mini for some seconds by rolling down hill. Leave to rest in rock filled gulley.

Purchase new trouser for driver.

About eight years ago i was comming back from me moms house when about 200 yards away from home two boy racers at full throttle came round the corner, the first i estimated at 75 on two wheels, the second which was the twat that hit me head on on my side of the road was nearly doing a ton.

His speedo was jammed on 85mph according to traffic officers,"NOT BAD FOR A 30 LIMIT & OUTSIDE A SCHOOL" and that was still after taking the front end off of my car flipping over me and sliding up a hill for at least 50 yards on its roof, eventully i woke up and scrambeld out of the rear passenger door only to realise ide broke me neck but with the smell of petrol eveywhere i had no choice but to crawl as far away as possible, eventully every emergency service appeared as by magic and i was taken to hopital for a long bed session, i was visited by traffic officers on several occations and told how lucky i was to survive such an horrific accident.

sportifs2.gif

Nearly forgot about this one

about ten-twelve years ago i was seeing this realy horny holiday maker, in my home town, when by some bizzare conincidence i had my shopping in the back of my work van aswell as the horny tart, on remarking what an untidy landing strip she had, she volenterilylet me remove it with my convenent pack of bic razors ond some bottled water she was tidy as a peach,

van was sure rockin well that night but i had some severe stubble rash in my groin area the next day

yelrotflmao.gif

About 10 years ago was on my way home from work as a barman at about 3am. Was giving 2 mates a lift home. I was driving one of those Subaru micro hiace vans. One mate in the passenger seat and one in the back (ie no seat never mind seatbelt! laugh.gif )

Anyway it was lashing rain and around the bend comes a granada. Veers over onto my side of the road, tries to correct and goes into 720 degree spin and his rear drivers side corner slams into the front of my van. Knocking the van backwards and then over on its side (passenger side

).

Now anyone that knows these vans will know that the 900cc engine is under the floor and that there is nothing in front ie. no crumple zones!! You change the front headlight bulbs from the footwell!! So I'm in the air hanging by my seat belt with legs trapped by the dash. The mate in the passenger seat is at ground level and his legs are semi trapped by the dash. The mate in the back has bounced around like a ping pong ball and is in a heap lying on the sliding side door.

The mate in the back slides the drivers side sliding door open (ie the new 'sunroof' laugh.gif ) and climbs out. The other mate wiggles his legs out from the dash and undoes his belt and then has to hold me up to take my weight of my belt so I can undo it. Then I wiggle my own legs out from the dash and drop 2 feet on the back of my head. Luckily the windscreen had popped out and thats how we got out.

We head over to the granada and the guy is slumped over the wheel. We thought he was unconcious until we got to the car. He seemed to stir and we gestured for him to roll down his window. The smell of drink was terrible. My mate went to pull the keys out of his ignition but granada driver pushed his hand away and screeched of up the road....GONE!!

So who got his Reg Number??? None of us had noted it considering we were still half dazed from the crash. I've never felt my heart sink so much as that momment. Anyway the Emergency services arrived about 15 minutes later after a passing motorist called them (didn't bloody stop himself though???!!!) The Fire Brigade and Ambulance crew didn't seem to believe our story. They reckoned I was drinking and had driven the van into a lamp post or something. I smelled of Drink from splashes and spillages during the night and because the front of the van was like a V, they started checking the nearest lamp post for damage!!

We were put in an ambulance and we just couldn't believe what was happening, that they were assuming it was a single vehile drink related accident........Then a Fire officer comes to the back of the ambulance and asked if the number plate in his hand that he found embedded in the front of the van was mine.......No, it was granada mans!!

So we got away with cuts and bruises which according to the Fire officers was a miracle. If Granada mans rear corner had hit a foot to the left or right, either I or my mate in the passenger seat would have lost our legs or even died.

The boys in blue tracked the guy down later that night at his home address where they found the granada as we described with its rear corner smashed in but of course he answered the door with a bottle of whiskey in hand....Because of the shock like!!! not to cover his drink driving tracks from earlier or anything dishonest like that!!!!

......and guess what, not only did he get away with drink driving but in the end he also got away with a hit and run charge too due to the police cocking up the paperwork. Scot and free are the words I think.

The only up side was I got myself a brand new VW polo with the insurance payout a year or so later....which got me into VW's which got me into Audi's which is what I drive today.

THE END........

SLEEP5.GIFSLEEP5.GIFsmile.gifsmile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

It was raining extremly hard and my MK2 Golf with no power steering and NO ABS was a right hand full to keep on the staight and narrow

[/ QUOTE ]

We won't mention the time that that same MK2 Golf came piling into the back of my car will we Spence? iamwithstupid.gif

Just as my car at the time will still remain a mystery NONO3.GIF

Apparently brakes need bedding in...but I think the attractive woman on the other side of the road had something to do with it 169144-ok.gif

Cheers.

First long drive on the motorway all the way up to Liverpool to look at the Uni. Just before the M6 turn off, it is p155ing down so I am crusing along in the middle lane and watching the traffic in the outside lane belting past at god knows what speed.

Anyway some feck-wit in a rep-mobile comes belting up in the outside lane and flashes and hoots the guy in front, he cannot stop so pulls into the middle lane (cutting me up), then pulls back out into the fast lane taking the front of the car he has just undertaken into the armoco....now there are two cars aqua-planeing down the road beside me, glass/bits of cars everywhere. Pull over, give my name and then drive on, had to stop at the next services (past brum on the M6) as I was shaking so much.

[ QUOTE ]

We won't mention the time that that same MK2 Golf came piling into the back of my car will we Spence? iamwithstupid.gif

Just as my car at the time will still remain a mystery NONO3.GIF

Apparently brakes need bedding in...but I think the attractive woman on the other side of the road had something to do with it 169144-ok.gif

Cheers.

[/ QUOTE ]

erm......No comment! fekr.gif

2 weeks after I passed my test I parked my old w reg opel kaddet (imported mk1 astra) on it's roof down a country lane. Left my front grill and lights 6 ft up in a tree, and 1 of my front wheels when for a trip on its own.

I wasn't speeding but wet weather, inexperianced driver and the grand canyon of pot holes don't mix.

Just over 2 years later on the same stretch of road i experienced the sound of twisting metal again as my car (mk2 cav 1.6) was turned into a blue bananna. This time it wasn't my fault. Whilst trying to pull out of a blind junction I got T-boned by a speeding drunk. My car was picked up and placed on top of the grass verge about 2ft above the leave of the road 10 ft back down the road. I ended up wedged in the drivers seat which had been reduced to 8" across. Lucky for me I was nearly all the way out of t he turning before he hit me, and he struck the rear off side door rather than mine. I was very lucky and only broke a few ribs.

He jumped out his car said "oh dear I have been drinking" or words to that effect but not so polite. Then ran off.

It was a hire car, so the police couldn't trace the driver out of office hours. He then went to the police station the next morning and claimed he left the scene cause he had a panic attack. Within 24hrs, so he got away scott free.

The last 5 years I have been a good boy apart from putting a fiesta van on the front of my vectra as a mascot.