• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 russellfray

russellfray

Porsche Boxster S

• Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 07:08 PM

After reporting on here a while ago how bad the combined MPG on my new A4 was, I thought an update was due!

The engine is up to just under 4000 miles now and it's really loosened up. I still HATE the delay when starting to accelerate but I guess that's just the diesel/turbo/automatic combination (and certainly a combination I will never ever choose again). But, average MPG is now floating around the 42-44 mark and performance for acceleration is much nicer.

Overall I absolutely love the car, but the lack of "oomph" for the first 0-15mph acceleration still kills me everytime. I don't think it's down to the particular engine, my wife has a new BMW with a 2.5Diesel turbo, also automatic, and it suffers exactly the same problem.

So - would I buy another A4? Absolutely (assuming it's not the ugly new model with that ghastly nose). Would I buy another diesel turbo automatic? No way.

#2 Cupramax

Cupramax

BMW M5

• Members
  • 4,024 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 11:21 PM

I had a Volvo S60 D5 geartronic the other day for a business trip and that was appaling as well. Put foot down and like 4 seconds later something actually happens, alarming when trying to pull out from junctions/roundabouts etc.
A5 3.2 Quattro

#3 russellfray

russellfray

Porsche Boxster S

• Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 10:17 AM

Exactly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I have to floor the car just before the car I want to pull out behind has reached me, rather than waiting for it to pass! I guess with a manual it would be fine because you can rev it much higher and drop the clutch, but the combination of auto and turbo-lag is awful.

#4 Snail

Snail

Porsche GT3

• Members
  • 11,633 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 12:08 PM

Satan, does it help using the gears on your car? or does it still happen?

#5 danksy

danksy

Porsche GT3

• Members
  • 10,754 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 04:00 PM

I manage 40mpg on average and don't hang around.

Find I have to slip the clutch to get a good start.

My clutch bite is right at the top of the pedal travel (no slip yet), but think I might need a new clutch in the next 2000 miles (this will be 26k miles in total)
For Fun - White and Black Honda CB 600 FA Hornet -HRC carbon tank protector, Ermax nose screen :P

Honda Fireblade (tweaked) - +++

#6 UBM

UBM

Lamborghini Gallardo

• Members
  • 16,573 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 04:50 PM

I have a manual and the DIS quotes between 46-54 mpg for every trip. I only "hang around" when I have passengers and generally drive the car like it was designed for! My clutch point is also right at the top, which makes for quick changes!

#7 russellfray

russellfray

Porsche Boxster S

• Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Satan, does it help using the gears on your car? or does it still happen?

[/ QUOTE ]
Not quite sure what you mean by using the gears, as it's an auto? If you mean using the " + and - " selectors, then that makes no difference to the acceleration as the problem is only evident from a standstill where it will be in the lowest gear anyway.

As for mpg - I don't know - I never ever use the manual controls (apart from once just to see if they worked!)

#8 gizze

gizze

Audi R8

• Members
  • 9,834 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 06:59 PM

I have just ogne from the 2.5tdi Multitronic to an A3 S-line 2.0tdi DSG, the DSG gearbox shows no sign of the lag when pulling away.

Also if you knock the car into manual mode on the multitronic box it gets rid of this lag too, great if you are at a busy junction where you need to be certain that you pull out quickly.

#9 russellfray

russellfray

Porsche Boxster S

• Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also if you knock the car into manual mode on the multitronic box it gets rid of this lag too, great if you are at a busy junction where you need to be certain that you pull out quickly.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll have to give this a try in the morning - it didn't get rid of it last time I tried it but the car was new and the engine hadn't bedded in. If it works, you'll be promoted to hero status as the lag is the one thing I hate about my A4! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

#10 awalsh

awalsh

Ford Fiesta ST

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 09:42 PM

It's my pet hate with the Multitronic gearbox too, however pulling away in 'Manual' mode does help it.

I also have a strange problem when trying to reverse off the drive whilst the car is cold (not a steep drive by any means), I have to literally floor the accelerator before the car will move backwards! I'm sure the neighbours love me!

Anybody with this combination noted anything similar?
2005 A4 2.5TDi S-Line Cab | Multitronic | Ebony Black | Full Black Leather | Symphony | BOSE | TODO: Cruise | PDC | Heated Seats | Garmin I3 | TODO: Origin B2 | Dension Piccies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users