Has anyone ever seen a Phaeton badgeless grill?

PhaeTTon

Thanks for the welcome. The car is awesome! I had to have it in service for a couple minor issues and drove a V8 Touareg with air-ride as a loaner - I felt like I was positively slumming grin.gif

Seriously, as nice as the Touareg is, the Phaeton really is that much nicer.

I haven't had any luck finding a supplier for a grill yet. ABT seems to have a placeholder on their site for the Phaeton so maybe I will get lucky there. Else, I can always have something fabricated. At least it's a dead-simple install.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I collect my new phaeton 3.0TDi on 23rd February and I want to keep the VW badge on my grille as a constant reminder to all those Bentley drivers who are driving a car which is the same as mine. Bentleys are built in Germany by VW people before being transported to Crewe to be "fitted out" and at what cost? NO THANKS, the VW engineers can keep my car at Dresden until its finished so the quality is guaranteed and I get to save £80,000! PHAETON THE LUXURY CAR FOR PEOPLE WITH MORE SENSE THAN MONEY.

• 2 weeks later...

I think when you buy a Bentley, you are buying the history, craftmanship, utter luxury with no cut corners etc. BMW and Merc - you are buying a brand (and they have a price ceiling, above which people will not buy). VW you are buying into reliability and functionality.

Bentley is not just a factory hand made job, it is craftmanship at it's finest. (you can argue for all you are worth about fit and finish, but that is part of the hand made bit)

Yes, you might have saved £80K, and yes the Phaeton is a mighty fine car - BUT it ain't no Bentley substitute.

3.0TDi engine is a peach, but it ain't no 6.75 V8 Twin turbo from the Arnage nor is it the W12 Turbo from the GT.

If you have the money and can afford a Bentley, then what is the problem?

Just my humble opinion!

I would have to agree.

When it takes 8hrs to make a steering wheel end to end you get an idea of the work that is put into the car.

The only thing that comes dome Germany is a painted body. This is because the cost to make a paintshop with the quality that Bentley need and demand and the volume that they want to make is just not viable. Bentley has never made body panels on site, it cost far too much money for them to do it. Tooling costs are massive for such low volumes and to buy all the requied equipment.

Even the engines are made on-site and each one gets bench tested.

As cruiser says you are buying into far far more than just a car. Most Bentley owners already have an S class or a 7 Series that they used day to day, and that was before the GT even came along.

Yes a certain amount comes from the Phaeton but the re-engineering to make the GT or Flying Spur that is now release is massive believe me.

"utter rubbish"? In actual fact I speak having had 20 years experience in the motor trade and for your information when my garage business was sold last year I was invited to Crewe to view the factory and test drive the continental, nice car but not practical when married with two children. It was when I drove the Phaeton back to back with the Bentley that I realised just how good a car it is and what value for money it represents, it was on this basis that I ordered one and now have it tucked away at home in the garage.

I can't agree more. The Bentley is a fine vehicle however for 4 people to travel in comfort with enough legroom, headroom and boot space the Phaeton wins hands down, the fact that it is £80,000 cheaper is almost insignificant, whether you have the money or not the Phaeton by way of it simply being more practical , wins. Maybe not so when the Bentley 4 door shows its face later, who knows, if it proves to be a better car I may just part exchange my new Phaeton for one.

[ QUOTE ]

I can't agree more. The Bentley is a fine vehicle however for 4 people to travel in comfort with enough legroom, headroom and boot space the Phaeton wins hands down, the fact that it is £80,000 cheaper is almost insignificant, whether you have the money or not the Phaeton by way of it simply being more practical , wins. Maybe not so when the Bentley 4 door shows its face later, who knows, if it proves to be a better car I may just part exchange my new Phaeton for one.

[/ QUOTE ]

ahem, the continental GT is bentley's sports coupe!!

comparing its dimensions and practicality for 4 to the phaeton is stupid. as is comparing the build quality/materials of a bentley and a phaeton in the first place anyway NONO3.GIF

bentley have plenty of larger cruisers if you're that way inclined, and can afford one.

Having been to the factory I am well aware that the Bentley Continental is a sports coupe but at the time I drove one (with the intent and money to buy) it was the only "Bentley" option. The 4 door that I refer to is the new vehicle out later in the year apparently to be called the flying spur and to built at Dresden alongside the Phaeton, now what does that tell you......

[ QUOTE ]

built at Dresden alongside the Phaeton, now what does that tell you......

[/ QUOTE ]

And fitted out and finished at Crewe?

Bit like the new ocean going Cruise liners then. Built wherever, moved to wherever for fitting out.

What does that say about British Craftmanship for the stuff you can see and touch.......

• 2 weeks later...

It isn't being built in Germany. The only reason this might happen is if demand gets so high that Crewe can't manage they have an option to do it else where.

All construction takes place in Crewe as I have already stated. The bodies get built in Germany but everything else that gets attached to the car is done in the UK.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...