WRX PPP or standard STi?

18ME

I had the new 2005 STi on a 24hr testdrive last week. Would anyone recommend the WRX with the Prodrive upgrade over the STi? the reason why I ask is because I was a bit disappointed in the low down pull of the STi and the wife doesn't like the large rear spoiler and the enlarged scoop on the bonnet, plus she wouldn't like the fact that to go anywhere she'd have to keep swapping cogs to get above the 3k revs to be able to overtake, although the times that I'd be driving it would be when I want to go and have a blast grin.gif

The dealer is going to give me a ring when they put one on demo with the PPP(he said that it will have a lot more pull lower down because its not got the variable valve timing of the STi), so at least I'd be able to see for myself soon but I thought it would be a good idea to get others thoughts on the matter.

BTW Evo mag has the 0-60 as 4.8 for the WRX PPP but I don't think it mentioned 0-100....doubt its as quick as the STi to 100 though, what do you reckon? 169144-ok.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing low down is always going to be the nature of the beast if you take a two litre engine, tune it to buggery and smack on a whopping great turbo!

I wrote quite a long piece a while back regarding a test drive in an STi and remarked how when I put my foot down I spent a second thinking "this is crap compared to R32" until the turbo span up and I nearly crapped myself! Awesome fun but to go quick you gotta keep them revs up!

I have a mate with a WRX with the PPP and if I had the choice I'd take the STi every time. JUst go the whole hog and PPP the STi (that is what I test drove) and clock up 60 in just over four and a half seconds!

• 1 month later...

I was wondering the same thing.

I have been looking at a Scooby to replace my 99 Audi S4 and the low down torque was missing altogether compared to the S4 although I reckon the STi might have been a bit quicker when on boost.

Does anyone have experience of insuring a WRX PPP? - I wondered if it would be difficult to insure because it is a modification rather than a standard model?

Personally I would buy a 5dr WRX with the PPP pack. I have driven an Sti quite a bit and really could not get on with it.

Have you tried the 2.5XT Forester - it is a great car. Great fun to drive ! Almost as quick and quite subtle. Even JC rated it in yesterdays Times !!

• 2 weeks later...

Choice really comes down to what you want. WR1 is a lovely car, but remember it is based on a 2004 car. The new 2005 cars are heavily revised. The 05 STI has a wider track (hence the extended wheel arches at the back) and longer wheel base (if you look at the front wheels, you'll see that they are offset towards the front of the wheelarch). It also has a heavily revised power steering setup - this has addressed one of the biggest failings of the Scoob (IMHO) - a lack of steering feel and feedback. There is also an active yaw control - similar to that found in Evo's. Essentially, the new STI is an S202 - which is a stunning car (ltd Jap edition - rated as one of the best if you're not familiar).

Price wise, the cost of the STI would soon get to 30K and above pnce you add on the decent 18" alloys, PPP and Prodrice suspension. It's up to you if you want to spend that kind of money. The new 05 WRX is also heavily revised and features many of the same improvements mentioned for the STI. In PPP guise, yoo should be looking at around 250 / 260 bhp and a very decent increase in torque. It is a very quick and capable car. It's hard to find demo cars with PPP as they have to be fitted as an extra after they have been registered (all to do with type approval apparantly), but if you ask around on Scoobynet or go to a meet, you find some good first hand experiences.

Chris

Hi Guys..

On the eve of replacing my 2 cars and am looking for a car that I can drive everyday up to 30ish miles that puts a smile on my face and that I can learn to drive properly and have fun in. Short list is really short consisting of Subaru WRX, STi or STi PPP.

Had a test drive of a STi PPP and was blown away!! When did DCCD come in? Can I buy a secondhand ex Demo one now??

Any advice would be much appreciated... Cheers

Hi Scooby_Doo - thanks for the welcome smile.gif I've lurked on here for ages, but thought I would contribute. I'm based near Hertford - so not a million miles from you. MY01 black WRX (until the end of the month, when my RX-8 arrives!) - my car is for sale if anyone is interested. If not, just have a look at the pics smile.gif

loddrik is right up until the 2005 model. A new PPP'd STI is a serious piece of kit and every bit as focused as an Evo. The revisions to the car have made a very noticable difference.

[ QUOTE ]

loddrik is right up until the 2005 model. A new PPP'd STI is a serious piece of kit and every bit as focused as an Evo. The revisions to the car have made a very noticable difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I had the cash....

Mine's a Green Classic P reg with a tow bar, Must get around to driving one of the newer STI's, might be fast enough now... grin.gif

Get over to Hertford now and then. I'll keep um peeled 169144-ok.gif

• 1 month later...

Hi 18ME. I have driven both models since the Jan 03 model. The WRX PPP is better in my opinion than Sti - and handles much better than the sti and Sti PPP and is as quick if not quicker than both. If the wife is driving it, definately go for the WRX as the ride is so much more forgiving. The Sti is a harder ride and great for trackdays but for B roads the WRX is the much more capable. I have a WRX PPP at the moment and it is my 2nd Impreza in 2 years.... its an awsome car and i have given up a BMW 330 CI Coupe to get back in my Impreza as BMW=Unreliable (despite what reviews say). Hope you make the right decision and whatever you do... please dont listen to carlT.. There is NO WAY on this plannet that a Forester 2.5XT is as quick as a Impreza WRX PPP. Must be on drugs...

Take care.

Pc

Blimey, this is an old thread. shocked.gif

I gave up on the idea of an Impreza and bought the wife a Clio 182 in Dec and planned to take delivery of a Clio V6 on an 05 plate but they stopped producing them which is a good job as we are now going through a divorce. ROLLEY~14.GIF

So I've bought an S4 V8 Avant with around 400bhp and a Yamaha R6.....must be my mid-life crisis. Can you have them at 38? confused.gif