Insurance for a 17yr old is stupid

18ME

I'm hunting around at the mo for insurance for the son of a lady who works for me.

He's 17, just about to take his test although the quotes that have come through so far are the same wether he's past or still on provisional license confused.gif

The car in question is a 1996 P reg Clio 1.2 RN clubmed cost was £1600 and he lives in a decent area with his mom and is a full time student.

The quotes are coming out at well over the £1200 mark Third Party. Anyone know how or where to get this price down? I've tried using his mom (no not like that smirk.gif) as the policy holder but it doesn't make much difference and she'd have to transfer the car in her name.

Tesco was the cheapiest for my age group when we were 17. Other than that, most go under their parents for a year or so until the cost comes down a little.

Note though that all under 25 drivers will be applied with £250 young persons excess ontop of what ever excess is declared. Eg. Voluntary at £200 would mean £450 if a claim was made on their own policy.

You could try bell direct (online quote) but they're part of elephant so if you've already had a quote from them there might not be much point. Although, that said, it has been known in the past for one to beat the other... wierd.

Best of luck. If you don't get any joy I know an independent guy who helped me out in my younger days. PM me and I'll forward his details. wink.gif

I was paying £2000 with ADSA before somebody recommended Norwich Union to me, I had tried them online and it was silly money bit I thought I would give them a ring anyway, they turned out to be £800 cheaper!

The most stupid thing about the whole deal is that the £2000 with ASDA was with my dad being the main driver but the Norwich Union price is TPF&T in my own name with me as the owner, still a rip off I know but at least im building on some no claims discount.

They gave me what worked out to be about 20% off the premium with pass plus as well, so it should have been £1440. Try to keep mileage down as well, hard for a young driver but prices varied a LOT between 6,000pa and 12,000pa.

Would have probobly got it even cheaper if I paid in one lump sum but I couldnt afford it so I pay monthly. They say its interest free but your quote just gets higher if you pay over the year. So my advice is to actually ring people as in my own experiences, the internet quotes tend to be very innacurate, get pass plus and keep the mileage down!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

My brother did a quote for a Golf TDi, MK4 model which was approx 24months old.....

£18,000 approx for fully comp insurance!

Riz smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Bargain! grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Isnt it just shocked.gif

He wants a Lupo GTi so i think he`ll have to be a 2nd named driver under dad`s policy....

Riz smirk.gif