Its getting hot in here, or supposed to be !

Hopsta

Since owning the sooty (bought in July) i've noticed that it takes longer for the water temp gauge to rise up to the norm on 90 degrees than it did in the S3. Obviously with the colder weathere we're having at the moment its taking even longer.

This may sound like a silly question but do sooty's take longer to heat up than petrol cars ? I know there are no relating faults in the ECU so any suggestions if this behavior is not the norm.

Graham

Mines about the same - the 90 degree mark isn't reached until about 5 mins into the trip. Thats the norm on the last three sooties I've had! First 3 miles of my trip about the asme as yours. The aircon will not belt out hot air on auto until the engine can supply enough heat, but the vents set to full on the screen supply some warm air.

Timed it yesterday and it took 9 mins for the water temp to reach 90. Heater was almost kicking out scorhing heat by then but it was pretty cold so took a while for the ambient temp inside to increase.

Car is due for a service in about 6 weeks so i'll get them to check it all out then.

Thanks chaps 169144-ok.gif

I only heard this thing about diesels taking longer to heat up after my A3 2.0l TDI order was beyond the point of spec changes. I started to worry about not getting the aircon or the seat heaters for the leather seats etc.

Needn't have worried on either count. My Diesel has hot air coming out the vents in about 2 minutes which is a hell of a lot faster than my old '98 1.6 petrol A3 or my brothers Golf. As for the heated seats. Apparently they have pressure sensors that mean the bloody things only come on when you sit in them thus you still have the pleasure of experiencing freezing leather on buttocks. Glad I didn't waste my money on either.

• 2 months later...

because the diesle engine block is larger and tougher compared to a lighter alloy engine it takes longer to heat up, you also tend to run it a lower revs which means less combustion whihc means less heat. Compared to a modern light alloy block sportscar engine my Cupra takes about twice as long to heat up.

My soot chucker takes a while to warm up. Not like the A8, which was up to temp in maybe 2 miles max.

However, with the Climate showing 23, the cabin temp warms up quickly - maybe there is a seperate heat provider????

However, I am in an Omega 2.5 TD Elite.......so Vx would have done whatever BMW told them the engine does!