My whistling bonnet

jonsutton

Got a problem with the car when at speed.

When I'm up to speed in my MYO3 STi (say over 125-130 mph, depending on wind direction) the car starts to make a large whistling/humming noise. I thought, at first, this could be the large 'picnic table-sized' rear spoiler resonating. More recently I have noticed a very slight lifting on the bonnet at the time this noise begins.

My question to all those Scooby experts out the is one of safety. If I push on will the bonnet catch fail? This car should be able to cope with the occasional 155 mph blast?

Can any one let me know if they have had a similar experience with their STi (I used to own an MY00 'Classic' turbo and had no such problems on the occassional high speed run!).

If this is a common fault on the STi 7, maybe due to the enlarged bonnet scoop, should I concider some sort of adittional bonnet restraint/pins?

As I hope to get the car on a track day sometime soon, any helpful suggestions would be greatfully appreciated.

confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Got a problem with the car when at speed.

When I'm up to speed in my MYO3 STi (say over 125-130 mph, depending on wind direction) the car starts to make a large whistling/humming noise. I thought, at first, this could be the large 'picnic table-sized' rear spoiler resonating. More recently I have noticed a very slight lifting on the bonnet at the time this noise begins.

My question to all those Scooby experts out the is one of safety. If I push on will the bonnet catch fail? This car should be able to cope with the occasional 155 mph blast?

Can any one let me know if they have had a similar experience with their STi (I used to own an MY00 'Classic' turbo and had no such problems on the occassional high speed run!).

If this is a common fault on the STi 7, maybe due to the enlarged bonnet scoop, should I concider some sort of adittional bonnet restraint/pins?

As I hope to get the car on a track day sometime soon, any helpful suggestions would be greatfully appreciated.

confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome to Tyresmoke 169144-ok.gif

I assume you are testing at these speeds on a private road grin.gif

Anyway, if you say the Bonnet is moving (The front I assume) I would firstly investigate the front catch is locking correctly. The bonnet should not be lifting EEK2.GIF

Not a known fault that I am aware of.

Simon,

Thanks for the welcome. I'm not sure but we may have met at an Audi club meet in Chelmsford some time ago???

Did I say 125-130 mph, I must have meant kph, of course.

The car is due its 20,000 service in January - I'll have to get Subaru to take a look. Until then I better take it easy during those occassional crazy overtaking manoeuvres.

Just out of interest I tried Millers plus Octane booster recently and I have noticed a significant improvement in mid-range and especially top-end performance (more than just the cold weather, I think). Have you had any experience with octane boosters? I'm assuming that my catalysts wont die as a result of continued use with Millers?

Chris,

Thanks for your input regards my 'dodgy' bonnet!

I'm getting the fella checked out in a few weeks, so I can hopefully find course of the problem then.

I just wondered if you have tried Millers Octane booster on your STi? If you haven't, just give it a go. I reaaly did notice a difference straight away. My girlfriend usually tells me its in my mind- not so this time. She said that the improvement was significant!

169144-ok.gif

• 2 weeks later...

this noise was very badly heard on the older classic shapes and it was always due to the windows nog being locked high enough on the plastic trim from the car.

we have doors with no sills...so the window is closed against the rubber sill on the chassis.

If you lower your window and then have it go up again while the door stays closed the motor won't be able to push it far enough and the windown won't be shut 100% properly.

beerchug.gif