How to remove Golf MK4 4spoke steering wheel?

hybrid

Please can anyone help with some advice on how to remove a 4 spoke Golf MK4 teering wheel?

I've heard its a Torx30 so i've been out to buy some but as far as i can feel (you can't see anything) it's not locating with any Torx screw/bolt.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

No time at the moment to help much, just a warning. Be carefull with the airbag. Disconnect the battery before you try removing it. This means that things like the radio will need re-coding when you re-connect. When putting it back together,make sure to re-connect the airbag, turn the ignition on, and THEN re-connect the battery. This means that if the airbag blows when power is restored, it doesn't go off in your face!!!!

Here's a bit of a help. Remove the top and bottom steering wheel trim.

Then there are two slots behind the wheel but they are heavily covered in rubber. There is a clip in each slot. Take a flat blade screwdriver and play with it. It's a feel thing. The clips are just on the other side of the rubber not next the metal inside the wheel.

Unclip them and be ready to catch the airbag so you don't pull the wires! If you have ESP then there will be other cables in there aswell so be carefull.

Then the proper tool for removal of the wheel is apparently a "12mm triple square" but a torx bit may fit.

It might also be an idea to mark the splines and the wheel to make reinstalling a bit easier, you'll know how to align it.

Hope this helps.