GAP insurance & mods.

Riz

GAP insurance are not interested in that, It's your normal insurance that could turn round and not pay up.

GAP only pays the difference between the original cost and what the insurance company pay so they are not interested in what else you have done to the car. Check, but I am sure.

Thats the way it was explained to me. My BF exhaust is on my insurance but is not covered in terms of replacement or damage.

If its damaged they'll only replace with a standard item - which is daft cos it 3 times as much but hey that their rules not mine !

My GAP simply pays out the difference. No mention of what was on the car. If insurance company pay out then thats fine by them.

I'm with Riz on this.

I have VW Gap insurance and it definitely says that ANY modification invalidates the Gap cover.

Actual wording quoted from the booklet I got from the Stealer:

Exclusions

Cover is not provided if:

Vehicle modifications are other than in accordance with vehicle manufacturer's specifications;

Ash.

[ QUOTE ]

Yes, but they would still pay out but not for the new stuff just the original invoice price.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to believe that it's true, otherwise what I plan to do (nothing too exciting, just exhaust etc) would mean I wasted the money buying the Gap insurance.

But, the wording does imply that the cover is not valid if modifications have been carried out other than in accordance with manufacturers spec (I'd guess that means the options you can specify when buying the car are ok?).

Also, the Business Manager at the Stealers explained it to me that way too, and as she knew I had a modded Rallye SE before the R32. She made a point of telling me not to bother the Gap insurance if I intended to 'mess with it' - as I recall her phrasing it!.

Here's hoping you are right though and the cover would be valid with mods !!?? beerchug.gif

Ash.

You GAP insurance would be invalidated IMO.

Consider

Situation 1

[ QUOTE ]

You buy a car, R32/Scooby, does not really matter and put a Miltek on it. Yes you have spent money on it and raised the value in your eyes. But I'd wager for re-sale you would prolly do better without it - It's been said a few times on Tyresmoke before that mods add nothing (or can even reduce the value of a car) usually.

But then it gets shunted and written off, GAP insurance was on the standard car (See the T+C's as discussed)

Exit route for the company not to pay

[/ QUOTE ]

Situation 2

[ QUOTE ]

But an RS6+ and send it off to MTM / AMD or who ever and spend 5K (or what ever) changing it about all over the place. Again, you feel you have inceased the value of the car by 5K.

Car gets stolem.

Same get out clause as above, but hopefully in this case, you see that you bought GAP insurance on a standard RS6+ (and so were quoted using rates based on a standard RS6+). Is a modded RS6 more prone to theft ( I Don't know), but I bet you the GAP insurance would be more expensive on it

[/ QUOTE ]

Situation 3

[ QUOTE ]

You by a car which has all sorts of nice (removable) toys like BBS wheels, DVD, Satnav, CD changer etc etc etc.... You remove them (and sell them on ebay) and the car gets nicked. You claim on your GAP insurance.... Not the same car was stolen that was insured.....

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Exclusions

Cover is not provided if:

Vehicle modifications are other than in accordance with vehicle manufacturer's specifications;

[/ QUOTE ]

Which insurance company is providing your cover?

I just checked my Gap policy which was provided by the dealer (insurance company is Abraxas) and in the exclusions section there is NO mention of modifications at all.

So it seems that the modification issue may vary between policies.

pengy.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Mmmmm mines standard.

So this mean`s ICE is also under the modded section crazy.gif

Surely this cant be right?

Riz confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Dunno, Just using my (old) knowledge of how the policy will have been rated (value and crash/theft).

I would hope/think that small low value mods would be exempt. But if you were to put 5K of ICE in then your Gap insurance would either not pay out for the ICE or be invalidated. I would advise some carefull reading.

Again, Insurance Jon would be the best person to speak to.

Guy's,Guy's

Please, please if you're in doubt ring your GAP insurer and ask them about mods, cause believe me if they can get out of paying out they will. Make sure you get an email or written response and not just a telephone conversation as these "this conversation is recorded" tapes can get lost!!

Err on the side of caution.

[ QUOTE ]

Guy's,Guy's

Please, please if you're in doubt ring your GAP insurer and ask them about mods, cause believe me if they can get out of paying out they will. Make sure you get an email or written response and not just a telephone conversation as these "this conversation is recorded" tapes can get lost!!

[/ QUOTE ] Yes good idea.. without evidence they can bend you over and do you proper if something happens to your cars.

Riz jump.gif169144-ok.gif

Until now this is something I have not been involved in, but in the purest form the VW policy would be void. As I have only read the VAG policy that is the only one I can confirm has this exclusion. If unsure read the policy, or write to the gap insurer before you carry out mods (although this sweetens the biscuit if you know what I mean!).

BUT in reality the GAP insurer needs to know about the mods, and when I claimed for my S3 being stolen neither me or my main insurer were asked if the car was modidified, and if they don't asked they don't know. You have to remember these are very busy people, and they tend to take their lead of the main insurer.

[ QUOTE ]

Guy's,Guy's

[/ QUOTE ]

ANOTHER WORD OF WARNING PEEPS...

As stated, the telephone converstions ARE recorded. Therefore, should they tell you that modifications will invalidate the policy, & you HAVE had mods done - THEY will have evidence against YOU.

znaika.gifsekret.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Surely, ADDITIONS are different to MODIFICATIONS?

You ADD the Road Angel, you MODIFY the ECU.

You ADD Satnav, you MODIFY (change) the exhaust.

ADDED items may not be covered if lost, but I can't see why ADDING would INVALIDATE the insurance? Where would it end?

Mudflaps? AtoZ in the glovebox? Polish?

Most insurers use a phrase like "have you modified the vehicle to alter the performance". That, IMHO, is what gets you into trouble.

Manufacturers don't provide the GAP cover anyway, so don't think the VW cover is any better than a 'backstreet' job - they all make it their business to NOT pay out, of course.

And if I worked as a loss adjuster, I would spend most of my time reading these forums - wouldn't you?

I just asked Direct Line if my car was covered if someone stole the keys from my house then took the car. They said "you will have to claim on your home policy". It took me FOUR goes to get him to actually say that it was NOT covered under my motor policy.

Watch out for those scripted/grey answers.

Assume all insurance is void from the start, that way if you get anything out of them it's a bonus!

I'm off to buy a crack-proof safe for my car keys!

The best cop-out for insurers is.... ready....

ACT OF GOD!!

Car goes on fire.... ACT OF GOD... how the bloody hell is that an act of god!!

I might try that the next time they claim their payments from my bank and I'm overdraw... sorry but my account balance is low because of an act of god.... see how they like it! fekr.giffekr.giffekr.gifthe_finger.gif