Followers 0
Smudge

MkV GTi

114 posts in this topic

[ QUOTE ]

Not just a poser who buys a badge?

Cheeky s*d.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Was merely pointing out that he wasn't "blinded by the badge" and was making an informed choice.

[ QUOTE ]

And he had an E36 M3? Well I'll tell you something that I suspect you know - the only reason he isn't buying an other is because he can't damn well afford one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely right, and I'm sure he'd be the first to admit it. He also found the M3 a very hard ride, although I've seen it and I don't think it was standard, it looked lowered and stiffened to me so this isn't a general M3 comment, just a comment on his car.

[ QUOTE ]

You seriously trying to tell me that if he had an option on an E46 M3 or a Golf GTI that he'd take the Golf?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not for one second, the M3 is in a different league (as well it should be for more than double the cost) where did I say otherwise...? confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Who are you trying to be today Ari? A comedian I suspect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all, was just interested to chat to someone who was a genuine buyer and who clearly felt that the Golf GTI was worth the money.

The fact that it was replacing an (old shape) M3 I just found ironic and mildly amusing in the circs.

[ QUOTE ]

Ya know, if I didn't know better, I'd say that type of "choice comment" could have only been made by someone who would be silly enough to do something such as, say, lower the roof of a cabrio whilst in a blizzard to fit something like a pre-planned electrical purchase in? Say, a TV for example.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be daft, no one would be insane enough to do that. NONO3.GIF

Would they...? UHOH7.GIF

jump.gif

Hang on he had and M3 and now hes just spent the good part of £24k on a MKV GTi, by the look of the spec.... you can get an M3 for that, an X or Y Reg at least, granted it may have 30-50K on the clock but thats where I'd put my £24k.

Theres no contest what so ever smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Hang on he had and M3 and now hes just spent the good part of £24k on a MKV GTi, by the look of the spec.... you can get an M3 for that, an X or Y Reg at least, granted it may have 30-50K on the clock but thats where I'd put my £24k.

Theres no contest what so ever smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

But he didn't want a second-hand M3, he's just got rid of one.

What he wanted was a new car. A sporty practical hatchback that gave him good performance with the German build quality he was used to.

Ergo, the Golf GTI. 169144-ok.gif

I think i`ll try and get a test drive in the new GTi and see what all the fuss is about....

Riz smile.gif

Ari - I still think it is one hell of a come down.

I see your points, but M3 to GTI? Hmm, 4 bed detached to flat....

I'm not sure how old his M3 was, but Im thinking it was an N reg, so thats what, 10 years old?

I know the Golf is a lot more cash than he got for the M3.

I totally agree that no one would have a Golf GTI over an M3 if all else was equal, but with circa £20K to spend, and given that ther Golf is quick enough, more practical, cheaper to run and of course brand spanking new I can understand his decision.

My initial post mentioning this really wasn't meant as a "ha ha I know someone who prefers a Golf GTI to an M3". As you rightly say, he can't (or doesn't want) to afford an M3.

It was really to point to someone in the real world with money to spend who is buying the Golf because he considers it good value for what it offers at £20K. Putting his money where my mouth is in other words. smile.gif

The fact he had an M3 was merely ironic given your weapon of choice. grin.gif

I know, I know... grin.gif

However, more practical? How does that equate?

I'm sure he has good reason for choosing the Golf and I do appreciate the gulf in price (I was merely offering a wind-up in return).

I saw another one today (actually, I think it was the same one I saw last week) - black. I have to say they don't strike me as something particularly good looking.

It certainly didn't look £24k worth of car (or £20k for that matter). Many might say the M3 doesn't look like £40k worth of car or the M3 Cab £50k worth of car, but the latter IMO certainly looks more like its value than a Golf GTI does.

I know, deep down, that the GTI is a quality car, of course I do. Its reviews say it all. However, the one question that every single reviewer has asked if would they pay £20k - I'm not sure they all would, no matter what they have said about its virtues.

We need a GTI owner to register with TSN - quickly!

Ari and I can exchange banter forever at this rate, but both of us have to drive one too - and then compare our notes with an owners notes.

[ QUOTE ]

However, more practical? How does that equate?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cos its a hatchback. Tailgate and folding rear seats. You try getting a Mercury 8hp longshaft outboard into an M3, it can't be done. (You're going to tell me that the coupe has folding rear seats now aren't you, I can feel it coming! UHOH7.GIFsmashfreakB.gif)

[ QUOTE ]

Ari and I can exchange banter forever at this rate, but both of us have to drive one too - and then compare our notes with an owners notes.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, for the full picture we'd need to own one, paid for with our own cash. I'm sure for a quick drive a Clio 182 would be much more entertaining for much less cash.

The beauty of the Golf GTI (indeed any German car) is in the owning, the delight at the way everything works and keeps working, the fact that it loks and drives like new at 100,000 miles when all the French stuff is worn smooth and baggy. And the fact it's still worth money in three years.

German quality car ownership appreciation is a slow burner, not a quick fix.

I know, I swapped my beloved MK2 GTI for a (twice as expensive) Prelude VTEC. Much faster, much flashier, much more toys. A quick test drive convinced me as surely that it was a good move as using it for six months convinced me it wasn't! SAUER0421.GIF

No, I'm not going to mention folding rear seats (or ski-hatches) - but then again I didn't know there was an outboard motor to fit in the back....

...and the question has to be how did the M3 manage it previously!!

I don't disagree with the other comments either(although VW's are not the bullet proof quality of your Audi Ari, and I know because we once had a Passat 1.8T 20v - and the build left much to be desired).

But...back to the point...£20k!!

We don't need to own one either (unless you wanna go halves on one!) to be able to give judgement on it. Yes, you'll appreciate its build after more time, but most people buy cars based on 1 or 2 test drives and we'll get enough of an opinion on the car in doing just the same.

Tell you what - let me know when you can get up north and we'll take a half day test drive together in one - I can convince some silly dealer to do that I'm sure!

We'll bicker and argue every mile, but my god will it be fun. You thrash it, I thrash it. You check the build, I check the build...then repeat in chorus until time has expired! 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Tell you what - let me know when you can get up north and we'll take a half day test drive together in one - I can convince some silly dealer to do that I'm sure!

We'll bicker and argue every mile, but my god will it be fun. You thrash it, I thrash it. You check the build, I check the build...then repeat in chorus until time has expired! 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That would indeed be a laugh! grin.gif

I can imagine us back at the showroom still arguing the case:

You - I'm sorry, but there is no way that car is worth £20K

Me - I so is! Its got quality, style, performance, economy, comfort, build quality, I tell you, there is no better car on the market for the money, nothing!

Dealer - Fantastic, when would you like to take delivery sir?

Me - Err... bugger. crazy.gif

Ahem - you missed a bit out .... as we bring the car back ...

"Did you say a limit of 30 miles to be put on the demonstrator or 300 miles?"

"See, Ari took a wrong turn and I thought I knew a better way back...but I didn't and we got lost"

"Its your fault Mr Salesman - see if the car had SatNav as standard it wouldn't have happened!!!"

Well after going through 12 pages of this stuff (yeah I was bored), you can't just leave it like that. I'll go mad with the incessant wondering. I've just got to know..........

Is the GTi wortk £20k ???? bowdown.gif

Hell yeah - especially when compared with new VAG gear. Makes the TT look like an overpriced relic. £27k for a 225 ffs!

Ian