I love TVR's BUT........

ian_m

[ QUOTE ]

I would never by a TVR or a Noble! Flush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I would. True driving cars IMHO. But I would only do it if I had a main car & the Trev / Nob was in a garage for most of the time, and released on days when the sun was shining & the track was calling!!

cool.gifECLIPSe.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I would only buy a TVR if I knew someone who offered cheap recovery!

[/ QUOTE ]

OK you have a point with regard to breakdowns even though i never thought mine was bad crazy.gif I think the thing to focus on with TVR's is that its hell of a bang per buck spent FIREdevil.gif Theres a 30K TVR kicking £100k 360's into touch ( OK maybe a slight fib) beerchug.gif

I have to say, I go slightly ga ga when I see a Tuscan or a T350/Tamora.

Would absolutely love one, and would be fairly wiling to trust the reliability, but would need to have another car simply because I wouldn't want to be a constant 'show'. I wouldn't really want the attention if I was just popping to the supermarket tongue.gif

One of my most ‘memorable’ TVR experiences, and fortunately one of my favourite ones, involves Bison and his bloody (ex) Trev’s wipers.

We were trying to get back from Windsor, I was following Trev in a new A3 loaner and trev had a bit of a water allergy that night. I do believe that having blown 2 fuses en route to Windsor, Trev then proceeded to throw another 4 fuse burning hissy fits on the way back. Each time all Bison asked of him was that he wipe his windscreen. I can tell you that standing on the hard shoulder of the M25 getting lashed by rain 4 times in an evening is not good. At that point we’d run out of fuses, Bison had gotten through a sack of 15amps. Of course it happened again and this time we had to dive off road, eventually I spied an AA van and proceeded to chase it down. AA man was v friendly, very nice man and got us back on our way.

It was most amusing rolling up at the TVR Centre at 11pm, or rolling into the TVR Centre’s gate eh Nick? wink.gif Bison then had to jump the fence and find somewhere to leave his key – it was all very comical.

The best bit is they just phoned first thing the next morning to ask what the problem was and where the keys were hidden. Seems its not unusual for people to just dump their trevs like that!

It was all comical but just too much for me as an ownership prospect.

I was with you there Ross, all the way until you mentioned the Tamora.

Flush.gif

IMO that thing looks more like a boat than a sports car.

smashfreakB.gif

And I remember Nick's arrival at Windsor that night. The door to the Crispin flew open & a rather drowned Bison stomped in. "Anyone got a spare sheet of tarpaulin??" You can imagine the confused faces & replies!!!!

I also remember the pocket full of spare fuses. Fear that drive home!!!

slap.gif

• 2 weeks later...

We've got 2 audis in our household a TT and an A6. These have had the AA out more times to either of them than my Chimaera (owned for 6 years, only call out a flat battery) and my T350 combined (only 6 months so far, but 6000 miles and no AA callout - even did 2,500 miles to Italy around the Alps/Stelvio without any faults).

TVRs generally have what I'd call niggles. You have to be patient to own them and be prepared for the odd trip back to the dealer to fic a sensor here, a door seal there etc. If you've not accepting of this then buy something else. If you are then the rewards are great.

I agree TVR should fix these niggles before you get the car, but they don't - although that may change under the new Russian owner.

BMW M3 and Porsche engines go pop quite often, just like TVRs. Problem with TVR is the experience isn't painless - BMW/Porsche replace the car, whisk you motor away and fix it quickly. TVR don't.

I have as much faith in my TVR getting to any destination as our TT (which BTW had a mechanical fault when we took it to the South of France (minor, didn't stop the trip)).

Each to their own is my view - the less people buy TVRs, the more exclusive they are ECLIPSe.gif

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey all, first ever message!

Currently own a 350Z which is great fun but rather underwelming in the power department. I drive it with traction control off most of the time so the lack of tc doesn't bother me....... So was debating whether to trade up to a trevor 350C? I suppose apart from all the normal reliability stuff (weekend car mainly - i live in the big smoke near the new dealership), is the 3 year warranty worth the extra wedge over a second hander? How is the 350C to live with? It will be spending 4 days a week under ground and 3 days a week open to the elements........ will the vent at the front of the bonnet mean that it will get toasted when it rains? Thanks to all, cheers, T

[ QUOTE ]

At the end of the day, you are getting something with character and a heap of performance. Buy a micra if you want to get to work on time, and look forward to a weekend in something special with a TVR....

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm.

Breaking down on the hard shoulder is not character.

Spending 30K on a car that is works some of the time is not character.

Not including 20 year old brake technology on powerful road cars is definately not character. It's dangerous.

Character should include being able to drive the damn thing... no???? frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

At the end of the day, you are getting something with character and a heap of performance. Buy a micra if you want to get to work on time, and look forward to a weekend in something special with a TVR....

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm.

Breaking down on the hard shoulder is not character.

Spending 30K on a car that is works some of the time is not character.

Not including 20 year old brake technology on powerful road cars is definately not character. It's dangerous.

Character should include being able to drive the damn thing... no???? frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

All cars break down now and then (some more than others admittedly)

£30K ? I can think of worse cars with the same price tag ...

No ABS is poor, but it makes racing more entertaining

I reckon its a car you buy with your heart.gif, not your head smile.gif

• 8 months later...

I have a friend who owns a Griffin....as an object of beauty it has little to fear.... but in terms of meeting it's first duty (ie to actually move) it really is a lame duck, great if you like visiting the dealership to see what extras the parts dept is selling but not really what i would sign up to. Yes it is a car for those who think with their heart.... i use what's in-between my ears, so i have an Audi.

Ok here we go again....

Firstly.. reliability and build quality.

I owned a Griffith 500 for 3.5 years ran it regularly and the only problem i had was a split radiator hose. As an active member of the TVR club most of the people I know have had a similar experience particularly with cars that are a year or 2 old. Those people who had the most issues tended to be those who left the cars standing.. try that in a lambo, ferrari or porsche... you'll have the same problem only it will cost you a shed load more to fix.

A TVR is a thouroughbred supercar for the price of a 3 series, it needs to be looked after, however treat it like a 3 series and you will have problems. (if you'd rather have a 3 series... fine buy one).

Hudson... its a GriffiTH, I know you don't mean offence, but you can't imagine how annoying it is when someone comes up to you and says "Ooooh a griffin... they're dead unreliable them" you ask what their basis is for that statement.. and they usually say something like... "a bloke I know had one..." which usually means someone they met down the pub had bought one privately from someone who had driven it like a 3 series hadn't services it and left it outside without a cover.

Parting thought.....

As you say a TVR is a Car you buy with your heart... but to a certain extent so are all cars.. Hudson, you bought an Audi (incidentally I have one too) why didn't you buy a skoda? same company? bought with your head?

A fair point with the last statement, i bought the Audi (A6 by the way) due to it's Quattro system (grip) and the overall good things i had heard. I would consider a Skoda (Superb)as i do like large\(ish) exec type saloons. The name... yep i can see why that would upset TVR Griffith owners (sorry). My friend who i do see most days still loves his car and will no doubt never part with it. I can only assume his particular example is a Friday afternoon example and was not put together with much care by the guys in Blackpool. He really has spent a fortune on it over the years, but i suppose as a non owner his experiance is all i have to go on so this is why my view is so tainted.

One item i would very much like from his Griffith (got it right) is the noise when he first moves it in the morning.... You could not call it a stealth car !

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

[ QUOTE ]

What is the deal with the reliability and build quality of them! I know 3 people who own various TVR's and all they seem to do is go out for a blast and come home in the AA relay truck mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that was funny... jump.gif

I am trying to do some reasarch as thinking of selling my M5 to get one..

My brother just got back from france, and there was a TVR on the ferry - when it arrived at Calais refused to start....now thats scary! and very putting off...

though there is something still instide me that wants one...

All cars do break down..i guess the question i have not seen asked is..

How many TVR owners have had there cars brake down on them?

• 1 year later...