A3 2.0 T FSI DSG Sportback - Review

CarMad

Ok so I have promising an update for a while so here it comes.

Its just about to turn 1 year old and has just hit 10,000 miles and everything is either as good as when I first took delivery or better. It has had no faults, nothing had fallen off that’s not to say it has been perfect but pretty darn close. Having had a fault free Lexus before this car I’m glad that the Audi is following the same trend.

Performance / Handling

Well after a period where I just wasn’t feeling that good about the car things have now totally returned to how I initially felt about the car. Its fantastic, it has all the performance that you could want for everyday driving in our congested roads and all you need to the times when its quiet and you can enjoy the handling. I have to say for a road car I prefer not to have too much power, if you like me it can be very easy to flex your right foot at the wrong times. 200bhp seems just about the ideal amount to get you past the slower traffic and to have a punt down a country road. You can ring the neck of the car without doing stupid speeds but still very definitely pressing on.

The engine has freed up a lot over the last few thousand miles and feels stronger than ever. Also the exhaust seems to be even more fruity as before almost after market when the right pedal is buried in the carpet, but ultra quiet and smooth when on the motorway. Some people have put Milltec exhaust on their A3 and Golf 2.0Ts and I really feel its not needed on the A3, it certainly sounds better than the Golf as I found after a brief test drive. Those at a recent TSN meet certainly commented even following a few cars behind that the noise was great and more noticeable than a following Audi S3.

The handling is also great for a fwd car, yes it has issues getting traction sometimes with my car being the DSG FWD but under steer isn’t terrible far from it. It’s the damping on a country lane that most impresses. Bumps mid bend don’t phase it at all, it just firmly but smoothly shoots from bend to bend. Its one of those cars that you can throw about and really enjoy it, take it to the limit and it doesn’t start to go ragged and unsafe. It doesn’t have the ultimate feel and control of a rear wheel drive car but then again it doesn’t have the risk of spinning you like a top as you put a bit too much power down either.

The steering really isn’t bad either, its electronic but not so that you would notice. I haven’t seen the issue of it getting heavy when rushed that I did when I test drove the 2.0 TDI S-line either. It has feel and is direct and helps at the pumps, can’t be bad.

Economy.

I don’t like 4 cylinder diesels. Yes they run for miles and miles but they do nothing for me and leave me cold, they are just unrefined compared even to the worst petrol’s of today. My heart has to rule my head to choose a car for now at least and this meant the 2.0 T FSI engine. And what a choice it has turned out to be. It’s never going to match a diesel for economy but it does do pretty darn well for a 200bhp car. CO2s of 187 have meant a lower tax bill for a petrol than just about anything else. Economy has meant averages on journeys of 37 and 38.3 MPG door to door over 200 miles. Average for the car is 33 MPG. This all means I can get between 400 and 500 miles out of a tank with 450 being the norm depending on the journeys.

DSG

Well its fantastic. I do miss having a manual to play with sometimes but not very often. In heavy traffic its like a full auto with total flexibility. Down a country lane it is a bit annoying that it changes up so quickly and at a lower rpm than the rev limiter in the manual. But it does give you the ability to use the paddles and keep both hands on the wheel making a back road blast even more enjoyable.

It does have issues, the main being the jolt that you sometimes get when you rush it. If you move it from N to D and press the accelerator quickly without letting the clutches engage it jolts as it rushes the process. If you think ahead or just put it into D before the lights change its not an option. I would still pick it again though.

If you are not a foot to the floor driver it’s a better option than going for the Quattro, as you will get a more chilled out drive and better economy. Also the car is lighter making it handle a bit better even without the advantage of Quattro.

Spec

What would I choose if I had the chance to go over the options list again ?

Well the rain sensing wipers would have to stay is the first thing, they just do the job without you needing to give it a second thought. Changeable weather just gets dealt with, a truck with more spray no problem. They are on and work all the time so you don’t even need to turn them on to do the sensing. They can be switched off if you choose or you can change the sensitivity at which they will activate and wipe as well.

The alloys and roof bar would also have to stay as they make a big improvement to the looks IMO.

The Xenon’s and BOSE aren’t essential but worth while extras. You certainly notice the difference when you drive a car without the Xenon’s that’s for sure, just a shame they aren’t Bi-Xenon though I think they might be now. The BOSE sounds good but not earth shatteringly great, for some the standard might be enough which is still better than standard fit in BMW that’s for sure. But BOSE isn’t as good as Mark Levinson in a Lexus.. a long way off in fact.

The folding mirrors I would leave off I think. They don’t work when you want them too or in the way you expect or need either. A change to the way they work would make all the difference.

The Steering wheel controls are great but it would be nice to be able to use some of the buttons not used by not having the phone kit fitted to operate the Stereo.

1 Year on.

Did I make the right choice ? Well yes at the time it was the best option to me as a company car driver. If I knew I was going to do so little driving I might not have put so many extras on it to just sit outside but you can’t see the future when you choose a car. It is however funny that my car being more expensive than Golf GTI is cheaper to lease on my company scheme. I can only think that the popularity and lack of exclusivity will hamper the depreciation over time. I would choose the A3 Sportback over it every time, especially after driving it. It just doesn’t feel as planted or sound as good as my Sportback and the interior seems to be in a class below that of the Audi.

It has all the space and speed that I need from a car. Its easy to keep clean and is a bit Q car ish in its speed and ability. All in all a great car and a good choice. I only wish it had a couple of extra cylinders to get a V or straight 6 noise, but you can’t have everything. grin.gif

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Just spent a good half-hour reading your story of your car from when you go it to its first birthday. I will be joining the Audi club for the first when I pick up my new 2.0 T FSI Sportback on Saturday, after waiting patiently for whole a month. Being a past Peugeot fan, and just traded in my 307 2.0XSI (136bhp), I feel being 36, and a hard worker (honest) I deserve a step up in both performance and quality. The Golf GTI was my preferred choice but after a few minutes in the A3 it was clear what would be getting parked on my drive.

Just experiencing the customer care in Audi Glasgow in comparison to my wife and I seemingly annoying the Volkswagen salesman by asking questions about tests drives, delivery times, colours and option lists, has been something to enjoy. Golfs, obviously sell themselves. I got the impression from VW that it would be our privilege to own one if they could be bothered to let us have one. (VW slagging over)

Reading your review, and the other responses, has certainly got me as enthused as you are. I wonder if going for a darker colour (Moro Blue) was wise; yours looks great in Mauritus blue. Quick question. Has the interior faired well. I really wanted to go for leather but my budget did not quite stretch. The only nagging doubt I have as I await mine. I will miss leather, as all the rest of my cars have had it.

Being wise and reasonably controlled, what will my revs be limited to in my first 500-600 miles of use. Your discussions about the exhaust note above 4000 revs have certainly whetted the appetite. Is the wait worth it? Or, should I just go for it?

Never having joined a forum like this before, I look forward to hearing golden nuggets of information about the A3 and sharing my experiences, in what I hope, will be a start of a good and long relationship when I get my hands on mine.

Welcome to TSN Bigfordie beerchug.gif

Firstly, the car is better than ever, the exhaust note / induction noise has improved even more. Its still super quiet at cruising speeds, but wind the window down a little on a country lane, and what with the exhaust and the little whistle from the turbo you have a lot to look forward to believe me.

The seats and interior are the same as new. I had it serviced for the first time a few weeks ago and it had a full valet and wash and it looked like new. grin.gif You won't miss the leather, you will need the extra grip from the seats to keep you fixed in place when you are having fun with the handling. ECLIPSe.gif

As for running it in, I would take it easy for the first 300-500 miles and then start to extend it a little after that more and more and then give it full beans as often as possible after 1000.

You will find loads of info on TSN. Start a new thread/post in the A3 section and tell us all about what spec you have gone for and what deal you got maybe, there are a few people who are due a new motor the same as ours. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

- No lock on the glovebox still, unbelievable!

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't believe they still do this! Most, if not all, of my motor insurance policies have had clauses stating items should kept in a locked glovebox when left unattended. But what if you have an Audi? crazy.gif

• 2 months later...

Hi. New to tyresmoke. Just read your review on the A3 sportback which has relieved me somewhat as i've just ordered a new 170BHP TDI S-Line. I take it you would appreciate an update sometime on this - however like some other readers i'm afraid i'm having to wait a little while - 16th Oct to be precise.

Have ordered it i think with virtually every option under the sun, including the dvd sat nav - which i'd love someone to update me on. Do you have this already? Can you let me know what it's like please?

Also:

Re; Tax; If any of you guys do less then 10,000 personal miles and you get free fuel - it would probably pay for you to opt out of your scheme and then you pay zero on the fuel benefit. I have just done this - travel 33k a year and it works out great if you can get away with telling the tax man you work from home!!!!!

Welcome to TSN. 169144-ok.gif

Have a look at the A3 forum and have a go at starting a new thread in there or add to one of the ones in there already. A few people have ordered the new 170TDI and I for one am keen to hear what people think about.

Get your spec posted and some pics when it arrives. Any help / quesiotns and am sure there are plenty of people to help you out.

On the TAX question, many in my co don't take the fuel card and get extra added onto the lease rate if they do it. As you say you need to do some high personal mileage to make it worth it. 169144-ok.gifbeerchug.gif

• 7 months later...

Thanks for the comprehensive review.

I too am looking at a company car option and like you find the A3 Sportback is more favourable for a fleet than a GTI. Throw in the fact the Audi is lower on CO2 emissions than the GTI and it makes a sensible personal choice too.

I drove the GTI DSG and loved it. I have sat in an A3 and really like the build quality, so that matched to the 2.0T FSI with DSG seems the perfect choice.

I found your review one of the most real world and in tune with my own approach to road driving to be of great value. Too many motoring journalists seem to be obsessed with track performance. I need a company car that can occaisonally ferry colleagues around, transport the family and provide me with hot hatch fun when alone. Having a car with multiple personalities is a must and having a great sound when pushing along but quiet and refined when cruising is a must.

Cheers

Tony

[ QUOTE ]

I'm still enjoying mine more than ever, just wish I was out driving it more and working at home less. grin.gif

If you have any other questions that I can help with fire away. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]I just wish I had read your review before going through the process of working out for myself that the A3 is cost effective as a company car - I started looking at SEATs and VWs assuming I would be saving a fair chunk but by the time you work it all out the extra cost for a 25k car over a 18k is pretty small - nothing like a personal purchase - given the favourable CO2 emissions of the same engine in an Audi vs VW vs SEAT.

Like you I just can't bring myself to 4 pot diesels. Purely a preference thing I wouldn't argue with a diesel convert simply it leaves me cold. The way engines sound and rev is important to me (I currently drive an Alfa V6) and the 2.0T FSI in the GTI with the DSG box just blew me away - any dilemmas about maybe taking the diesel option this time were resolved.

The S-line takes me pretty much up to my company car limit, so I will be lacking the options you have added. Though I may look to retrofit an RNS-E satnav. The things I will have to forego that I have on my Alfa will be auto wipers, BOSE stereo and steering wheel controls. I think I can live without them but then I am in "new car mode"! I think it is worth it to get the s-line touches rather than go for the Sport and add those options. Plus I currently have leather in the Alfa and liked the s-line seats. Hopefuly that is the right choice...

Cheers

Tony

It depends what you want. The S-line does have all the nice extra bits that make the A3 look a little bit more special. It wasn't out when I got mine and I would probably have got it if it was. Having said that mine doesn't have the issues that low profile 18" tires can bring, I've got a good compromise of ride quality and handling. Some have gone for Sports for this reason.

On the kit side of things, only the rain sensing wipers would be a must for me. The BOSE is good but the standard on the Audis is better than many. But as you say the engine is a great little unit and a million miles better than the VAG diesel. wink.gif

Either way its a cracking car and great as a company car, slush around when you need to relax or slip it into manual when you want to have fun down the back lanes, and the Audi sounds even better than the 2.0T in the GTI. 169144-ok.gif

• 2 months later...

End of Term Report

Well its time to say goodbye to my little motor. Its just gone over 20,000 miles and it even told me it wanted a service in 28 days at the weekend its second whilst its been with me.

Its been a really good car to me with not a single thing going wrong with it. Its not perfect but it hasn't broken, maybe Audi really are catching up with the Japanese for reliability.

Whats good

The engine without a doubt, its a quick car and also when driven without a lead foot quite is froogle. Its not quite got the noise of a straight six that sometimes I miss I have to say, but its certainly a cracker of an engine in every other respect. The exhaust and induction noise for a 4 cylinder petrol is great and sounds even better than the Golf GTI that also uses the same power plant. I've average 30.8mpg overall in the 20k miles I've driven it but that could be much higher if it wasn't for my recent shorter journeys stuck in queuing traffic. On the motorways I've seen 40mpg and for a 200bhp petrol that does sub 7 seconds to 60mph that's pretty darn impressive to me.

What else is good ? The handling was a real suprise, I've got the Sport not the S-line as it wasn't out when I ordered my car and the ride / handling balance is stunning for a fwd car. Throw it into a corner and its not upset by mid corner bumps and even with 2wd has great traction in the dry at least. On several TSN meets the car certainly wasn't embarrassed and managed to keep up with some very serious machinery.

The interior is good but does have evidence of cost cutting on some of the plastics that you don't see on the A4, but then the A4 is like a boat in comparison handling wise so the slightly smaller interior is a small price to pay.

Spec wise I would choose everything again if I had the choice again. BOSE is good but not great, Xenon's do a brilliant job of lighting the road on a dark night and I prefer the alloys I choose over the standard ones. I don't like the way the wing mirrors work though, its a pain in the arse.

As for DSG well this is a difficult one, most of the time its great and a joy to use. But I do get annoyed at the way its slow to react when its put in gear. It doesn't have any of the problems that many seem to report on the diesels, its never clunky always quick and never ever seems to be in the wrong gear. Put it in manual and play with the paddles and the car can be a real blast down your favorite country road.

Whats bad ?

Well not very much to be honest. The car does nothing badly and many things very well. It doesn't have a drink problem, the ride isn't harsh and nothing has gone wrong with it.

Traction isn't really a problem but for some it could be, stamp your foot to the carpet and it will wheel spin a lot in the wet and sometimes in the dry. But if your smooth then it really isn't a problem. Not having to deal with the extra weight of the Quattro IMO makes the car handle that little bit sweeter something others have also commented on after test drives as well.

Its expensive and I do think many things I've had to add to the spec should be standard. Even BMW has more standard kit these days. If I was owning the car myself spending an extra £3k on toys wouldn't be an option I'd never see the value back when I come to sell it. VW are pushing to go further upmarket, Audi need to be careful not to take things to far above them in my opinion.

Verdict

Well I sit here typing this up and I'm not sorry to see it go. Its a very good very capable car but I don't think it really ever got into my heart. Its good in many areas but not really truly great in any either some how. Maybe I've been spoilt by driving some great cars recently that took an edge off mine. But they are all more expensive so what should I expect. For many a 2.0T Audi A3 Sportback however is a cracking car it just never set my pants on fire.

What am I getting next?, don't know yet but fingers crossed I will be back with a full review of that soon. 169144-ok.gif