Corolla Heater

websterm

Hi,

My 12 year old Toyota Corolla Diesel has developed an interesting feature. On a morning within 5 minutes the heater is blazing hot (as usual), however, on a night after leaving work it takes 15 minutes of shivering before heat starts to penetrate the cabin, then it’s its usual blazing hot self.

In both cases the temperature gauge is showing normal, the only difference on an evening is the run is more stop/start. I've checked hoses, etc but as the heat gets there eventually, I can't think that anything is fundamentally wrong.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Well, it's a Corolla: nothing as white-knuckle exciting as a heater-matrix failure ever happens in one of them, and the poster writes that the temp. guage shows no movement. Therefore it must be him or her, and I think they should get themselves to a competent physician as quickly as their sub-zero interior'd car will manage.

I have made this suggestion in an earlier thread. Please see below:

"Have you not simply considered using a small coal-fired stove?

There are some attractive examples on the market at present and I have been particularly taken by a 1958 Sorrell Hearthlike MkII. It's fashiond in the Roccoco style which, although vulgar to some, does allow for good thermal ventilation.

By placing it neatly in your footwell (or that of your passenger) you will enjoy a steady but latent heat under your legs. The rising heat will then warm your upper body.

I understand the MkIII version will have some sort of fan device which may prove popular.

Perhaps you should consider getting one.""

And don't forget the car will still be nice and warm in the morning with this device but obviously you'll have to make sure it's stoked before you go to bed.

[ QUOTE ]

My journey into work is rural then motorway, the homeward leg is a bit a bit of stop/start to get to the motorway, motorway then rural.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you may have a similar issue then. If you (for instance) go out in the evening, do you get the same problem, or is it just work?

• 3 weeks later...