Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Simonl

ipod

16 posts in this topic

What's the best way to get an ipod into a new A3 3.2 linked up to my Concert 2/Bose (would like to avoid screwing a cradle onto my dash if poss) 169144-ok.gif

If tunecasts are the same as iTrips and broadcast the signal then they are a nightmare in cities and big towns. I live in London and have been eternally frustrated with local and pirate radio stations so as you drive from area to area a previously clear frequency is now occupied.

Vodafone do their own very small magnetised phone holder that glues to the dash and you stick a metal plate to the back of your phone. Assuming that a phone and an iPod react the same to magnetic fields this may be an option that doesn't require making holes and is quite discrete when not in use? They are also only £5 so worth a try. SMOKE6.GIF

it was more a question of 'cables' and 'what plugs in where' than brackets.

Actually to be more specific, is the concert 2 stereo 'CD changer ready' ie: does it have a plug socket on the back?

Also - how do i remove the stereo?

Leman - look at the this recent thread:

dension/phatnoise

Although this discusses a little about the phatnoise system, there are details in there about how to connect the ipod up to the headunit.

The brodit cradle, if you wish to use a cradle, does not screw onto the dashboard and is a non-destructive way of mounting the ipod.

As far as connecting the ipod up is concerned, the dension kit is the (probably) the best way to do it as it connects directly to the back of the headunit. If you don't currently have a CD changer it means you don't have anything to disconnect 169144-ok.gif

Very simple installation and far better quality than a FM transmitter.

You remove the Headunit via four Audi stereo removal keys - there is a sticky in the electronics section about Audi removal keys.

beerchug.gif

iTrip FM, easy to setup, no cables needed!, tune your pod to an FM freq then match it on the headunit for perfect sound.

My company sells em if your intrested let me know and ill get you a quote,

Type1 or Type2 pod?

(these are quite hard to find due to radio laws but weve managed to get em)

Sorry, don't mean to stitch you up here Rob!

I got an iTrip from the states about 18 months ago but really didn't get on with it. At home I'd tune it into one of the very few free frequencies, but by the time I'd got to work that frequency would be occupied and I'd get crappy/no audio. I couldn't find any frequency that would work for my whole journey to work, and it's not really practical to re-tune it while driving (safely!). I think it would be great out in the sticks where there are fewer radio stations, but around here (west london) it really doesn't work I'm afraid.

I've had one of the Dension ICE Link iPod things fitted recently and it's amazing. I had mine fitted professionally as I didn't fancy pulling the interior of my new car apart, cost me a bit more but they did a fantatsic job.

Assuming that a phone and an iPod react the same to magnetic fields

Phone = circuit board and aerial

iPod = circuit board and (magnetic) hard disc drive

Wouldn't advise proximity to a magnet.

Paul, where did you get your dension ipod thing fitted?

Also does it clip on or do you have to screw it to the dash. 169144-ok.gif

If I remember I'll take pics tonight and post them. Leman as I said if you go for a Proclip it sits between the seam of your dash and has a little bit of sticky-stuff that helps it stay in place.

Cheers guys, was thinking about having the ipod in the glove box-cheechy was it you who has done this already???

If so, is it cheaper to just get the 'docking cable' or do you have to get the whole cradle kit for '99 smackers' anyway?

thanxs

Leman - no I was going to put it in the glovebox but the cable was getting crushed in the glovebox. I wasn't going to drill a hole so I put in the cradle instead.

I don't think the non-cradle version of the dension is any cheaper. Indeed where I bought my Dension the only option was for the cradle so you may end up paying more if you can't find someone cheaper (the rrp is £130 so I was pleased to find someone doing it for £100)

I had mine fitted by Thames Car Radio in Egham, £199 all in. I didn't really have any idea what to do and didn't fancy wrecking the interior of a two week old car. They did a fantastic job, and give a 12-month parts and labour warranty, so I was happy with the price.

Mine is fitted with the bracket which is mounted down the side of the air-con unit (they would have had to have taken that out to fit the bracket, definately not something I'd want to go near!).

It's not screwed to the dash anywhere, so you could remove it without leaving a trace.