Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
scooby_simon

A4 cabs all over the place

137 posts in this topic

There is no doubt there is a degree of scuttle shake in the cab. However, I can honestly say, having had 2 convs beforehand, that the difference between my Coupe and my Conv isn't anything like as bad as yours appeared to be.

Speedwise, there is no noticeable difference at all (yes I know proper testing equipment would show the Coupe to be .4 quicker off the mark).

There was no gap between ownership of the two either - so I would have noticed any major differences for sure.

Perhaps I haven't had the Conv long enough, but it has been on a lot of very bumpy roads already and whilst there is scuttle shake I just haven't been as affected by it as you seem to have previously. Perhaps different build quality within BMW? Who knows?

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

1.9Tdi badge ~ on an M3? UHOH7.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]

No, fool. On an RS4. Keep up! ROLLEY~14.GIF

grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, OK... SLEEP5.GIF

[ QUOTE ]

Perhaps I haven't had the Conv long enough, but it has been on a lot of very bumpy roads already and whilst there is scuttle shake I just haven't been as affected by it as you seem to have previously. Perhaps different build quality within BMW?

[/ QUOTE ]

i think it depends on driving style.

e.g. if you really push an s4 cab, you can feel the scuttle shake, although the audi cabs are built like tanks. its noticeably different to the s4 saloon, but only when pushed properly and driven aggressively. its probably the same for the m3 cab/coupe.

But I do push the car hard, and my style is the same as it was in the Coupe - so I should have noticed a huge difference as the previous poster has?

[ QUOTE ]

I haven't personally explored the M3's superior dynamics as you so condescendly seek to find out.

I didn't claim to either. However, a quick review of magazines and TV programmes reveals that no-one has ever debated the M3 is the better drivers car.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

But I do push the car hard

[/ QUOTE ]

now i'm confused again. znaika.gif

Let me add clarity:

To truly explore a cars superior dynamics I would say it has to be on a track.

To drive a car hard does not necessarily need to be.

I can't see the contradiction.

[ QUOTE ]

Let me add clarity:

To truly explore a cars superior dynamics I would say it has to be on a track.

To drive a car hard does not necessarily need to be.

I can't see the contradiction.

[/ QUOTE ]

tracks however are designed for high-speed and their gradients are usually slight. cars designed for roads dont always perform well on the track and vice versa.

you can explore a cars dynamics without being a danger to yourself or anyone else if done responsibly on roads. going really fast in a straight line at 140mph isnt needed to see how a car handles round bends, through twisties and on varying road surfaces in different weather etc.

theres stacks of gorgeous scenic roads in north wales which are great. i wish audi used them to test, cos then they'd make their front-ends lighter smashfreakB.gif

I used to look forward to every weekend when I lived in North Yorkshire. There were stretches of roads on the moors where you could truly push a car in the early morning of a Sunday (before the tourists arrived).

How I miss those roads now.

[ QUOTE ]

I have owned an M3 Coupe, M3 Cab and a couple of RS4's to name but a few. The M3 Coupe is a terrific car with far superior driving dynamics to a standard RS4. Although spend a bit of money on the RS4 and the tables turn. The Cab however is dynamically flawed - two words SCUTTLE SHAKE. It skips and jumps over anything more than a join in the tarmac due to it's terribly hard suspension It is not a drivers car it's heavier and slower than the coupe hence why I kept mine for 3 weeks and bought another RS4. Don't give a feck if anyone thinks I'm biased I like my RS4 and I like the M3 but as a drivers car the Coupe pisses all over the cab. Cab for posing coupe for driving.

[/ QUOTE ]

At last! thanks for the comparison Barry. I always heard there were differences between the E46 M3 cab and coupe (like the previous model) but I didn't realise they were that noticeable.

it is a shame in some respects that the stock RS4 doesn't handle as good as the M3 and others - maybe if Audi invested more money/time in the handling and brakes like with handing Cosworth more money for the engine mods then we'd have a cracking car.

I was of the opinion that to truely exploit a 'Drivers car' then that would have to be on a track also - if you're pushing that hard on our roads to take advantage of this (especially on a predominantly oversteering car like the M3), then I'll genuinely move over to let these people past and they can kill themselves without my help smile.gif

The pushing hard on public roads would obviously be at a time when there aren't other road users around.

Just to answer the previous S4 and RS4 posts - the reason it came across as this is because upon checking back on my posts I have listed two in which I have erroneously not typed the R in front of the S. Easily done. Nothing more than that.

All great cars and I would never dispute it. But personal preference took me to my M3 Convertible. How many of us make decisions on pure speed, pure handling, etc - we make the decision on the overall package and the suitability for our needs. In my case, well, you know what I chose so I won't go over it again.

However, I will repeat that whilst Barry has highlighted what he saw as huge differences between the Coupe and the Convertible I can't describe them as affecting the car as badly as his was. I don't think I have ever come across a car in covertible form without scuttle shake and (I will stand corrected if someone knows of one) and the M3 certainly isn't amongst the worst I have come across with it.

whatever - I still think, like Inigo mentioned that you confused the RS4 with the S4 - especially quoting reviews/top gear mag/journos etc when I've never seen any article of an M3 being reviewed alongside the RS4 (however I could be wrong) wink.gif

now, a review comparing the B6 S4 against the B5 RS4. that'll be interesting. wink.gif

Think how you wish to. I was genuinely intent on typing RS4.