Is Honest John a mentalist? (Running a Diesel in)

Roy

Looking at www.honestjohn.co.uk he has some tips on how to run a diesel in, which are as follows:-

A) For the first 1,000 miles do not exceed 3,000rpm, but make sure you reach 3,000rpm regularly.

B) For the next 1,000 miles (to 2,000 miles) do not exceed 3,500rpm, but make sure you reach 3,500rpm regularly.

C) For the next 1,000 miles (to 3,000 miles) do not exceed 4,000rpm, but make sure you reach 4,000rpm regularly.

D) For the next 1,000 miles (to 4,000 miles) do not exceed 4,500rpm, but make sure you reach 4,500rpm at least a couple of times a week. After that, no limit, but make sure you continue to hit 4,500rpm through the gears several times a week.

The benefit of this is it helps to self clean the injectors, it blows any accumulated soot out of the exhaust system and it helps to free off the piston rings, making the engine more efficient and less likely to use engine oil.

Anyone have any comments on this, does anyone bother running their diesels in?

suicide.gif

Sounds like b*llocks to me Roy.

I didn't run my diesel in at all, and it's been just fine and dandy. Oh wait, I bought an ex-demonstrator so I didn't need to run it in (oops!).

[ QUOTE ]

D) For the next 1,000 miles (to 4,000 miles) do not exceed 4,500rpm, but make sure you reach 4,500rpm at least a couple of times a week. After that, no limit, but make sure you continue to hit 4,500rpm through the gears several times a week.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since the rev limiter is 4500rpm on my car (and I think the 1.9 A4 as well), I'm not sure it's a sensible idea really if its part of a "running in" programme.

I'd ignore it and just run it normally, but then again, I'm the guy who reversed into a post yesterday 'cos I wasn't paying attention frown.gif

A4 2.5TDi Quattro Sport (phew, what a mouthful!)

The V6 is lovely and smooth and pulls like a train over 1500rpm, but below 1200, you might as well get out and walk, for all the oomph it has. frown.gif

Great car all round though - I'd definitely be up for another A4 quattro of some sort - just probably not the diesel as it doesn't really suit my style of driving (although my previous A3 Tdi 110 was fine).

[ QUOTE ]

The V6 is lovely and smooth and pulls like a train over 1500rpm, but below 1200, you might as well get out and walk, for all the oomph it has.

[/ QUOTE ]

So I guess you use first/second to get up there and then floor it grin.gif

• 3 months later...

S4Dreamer:

I have a new 2.5 tdi (A4 cabrio) and I find there's a strange sort of 'dip' between 1500 and 2000 where the engine races up in revs but the torque goes away for a short holiday. Is this normal ? I have a feeling it's actually new... could swear it wasn't there a couple of hundred miles back. This dead space is pronounced enough that in fact if you come off the pedal and slip below 1500, there's actually a short surge of power and the car speeds up momentarily.

What could cause this ? confused.gif

Mine certainly doesn't do this - it takes off like a rocket at around 1800rpm and keeps going to the rev limiter.

There was some discussion about a problem similar to this in the VW forum, I think and someone suggested the MAF sensor might be faulty, but wasn't sure whether or not the tractor engines have MAF sensors. For the life of me, I can never remember what the MAF sensor does - something to do with regulating the amount of air being allowed through to the engine.

My normal suggestion is that the turbo waste-gate is sticking open, but if you get power back after 2000rpm, this seems much less likely unless it's simply catching/sticking a bit.

Have you got the auto box or manual ?

I suppose it's vaguely possible that you've got some slip in the gearbox if its a CVT auto, but that about exhausts my technical knowledge smile.gif.

Thanks all for reply; it seems to have smoothed out a bit now. The power does seem to kick in just under 2000 which would fit wit turbo lag, but that odd dip in power going upward from 1000 seems less now. Is it unusual to get these things coming and going as a new engine runs in ? Seems to have gone for now...

Btw to answer the question, it's a manual.