KWire problem with diagnostics

sschlesinger

I had an Alpine stereo installed in my 2000 Jetta.

The installer followed Tech Bull 99-01 and did

not connect the K-Wire to avoid problems with the

scan tool.

I had the engine check light come on and took it to

the dealer. They said they couldn't diagnose it because

the K-Wire was not grounded.

Does this mean that as long as the Alpine stereo is installed, the diagnostics system can't be used?

Any advice would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

New VW radios are ''diagnostic-capable''. This means that the diagnostic system talks to the radio to detect faults and change settings.

The ''K-Line'' on these new diagnostic-compatible radios happens to be on a pin previously used by VW/Audi radios for +12V. Therefore, if a third-party adapter-cable is used to install an aftermarket radio it can result in the K-line pin being directly to 12V. This tends to cause damage to dealer diagnostic tools and can be very costly for them.

If the installer followed the TSB then the K-Line should not be connected to the radio. This should not cause any problems to the rest of the diagnostic system - the only noticeable change should be that the radio can no longer be programmed/diagnosed.

Did the dealer actually connect the diagnostic tool to your car?

If they just refused to diagnose it, as many dealers will if the car has an aftermarket radio fitted, you could always buy your own diagnostic tool. See ''VW Market Place'' forum.

Regards,