Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Smudge

New MkV Gti Test drive

28 posts in this topic

So who's had a spin then?

I know a couple of people have mentioned they are keen, or possibly already has. My local dealer doesn't have their demo car in yet, but I'm hoping for a call when they do.

Anyone wanting to post their opinions, if they have had a "proper" spin?

ECLIPSe.gifbeerchug.gif

grin.gif When I dropped the log book for my R32 into the dealer I sold it back to, they had a new GTI in the showroom - he told me to give him a call if I fancied a testdrive, hopefully I'll find time in the next couple of weeks. Of course, I'll be sure to post here with results 169144-ok.gif

After all the rave reviews I can see a 'dealer taunt' happening very soon..... wink.gif

But NO, I don't see myself changing car anytime soon grin.gif

Are there demo cars about yet? I got a mail from my local VW dealer on 10th Dec advising that they'd be in touch when a car was available...

Honestly!

I've just bought an R32 and one of the dealers I went to between Christmas and New Year was telling me they had just received instructions from VW not to drive the new GTIs under any circumstance because of a problem with the oil pumps that had caused a number of engines to blow up!

I suppose there could be a worse time to find out.

Tony

[ QUOTE ]

I've just bought an R32 and one of the dealers I went to between Christmas and New Year was telling me they had just received instructions from VW not to drive the new GTIs under any circumstance because of a problem with the oil pumps that had caused a number of engines to blow up!

I suppose there could be a worse time to find out.

Tony

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh dear!!!

Flush.gif

Well, I drove one yesterday at my local dealer.

As nice as all the reviews. If you have 20k+ and want a new car you honestly wouldn't feel short changed in any way.

Felt at home straight away. Normally takes me ages to find my ideal driving position (I gave up after 30 mins of messing in the case of a Clio 182 and in my S3 it took a great deal of messing to get a position which was just ok). A quick fiddle with the wheel adjustment and we were away.

One of the first things I noticed was the great throttle response and very impressive pick up from low revs in any gear. 4th gear, 2000 revs, plant the accelerator and away you go.

Loved the steering feel too - weighting spot on, and responsive too - as nice as my BMW 3 sport, but without the tramlining (on 17"'s at least), and light years ahead of my old S3.

Brakes very good, if a bit snathcy at first.

Traction control fully engaged allowed a nice, natural-feeling amount of slip, and even though the pair of us were really hammering it the car just did what it was told with no hesitation, supreme confidence and nothing noticeable in the way of torque or under steer. You would have to do something extremely silly to get badly out of shape in one of these, at least in the dry.

Having said that, it's really, genuinely involving and playful as you'd hope too and will twitch on demand. I read somewhere recently (and whole-heartedly agree) that one of the best driving feelings is when a car's apparent limits are close to (or maybe even slghtly below) your own as a driver. I got that feeling in the Golf yesterday. I'm sure the Golf's real limits are way above my own (thankfully), but it gave me that "driving on the edge" feeling that I don't get in a lot of cars. I currently have a fairly new BMW 330i sport and prior to that I had an S3 (chipped). I have enjoyed driving both of these a great deal, each for different reasons. IMHO one thing they have in common is that a lot of the time you just feel like a pilot in something with a great deal more ability than you as a driver. Sure you can burn most people off, but you have to push crazy speeds on the road to get the sort of buzz I hanker for. Not so in the Golf. It does make you want to drive quickly admittedly, but it rewards a lot lower down the scale than others.

What else? Well, the interior is nice - real, cold brushed metal. Stereo looks a bit Fisher Price although I believe the sound system is pretty good. Nicely positioned 6 disc changed under drivers armrest, with individual disc eject. Fantastic steering wheel, nice slick gear box (not in the slightest bit notchy like the 6 speeder out of the S3). Groovy dials (maybe a bit too cool, but at least the passenger can't read the speedo). This one had leather - very nice, but I sat in another with cloth and that was fine too (and £1700 cheaper). Loads of rear leg room. Good quality overall, no complaints.

Outside looks purposeful. Only disappointment is the HUGE expanse of rear bumper which is plactic. The plastic spoiler trim elsewhere looks fine, but I would have to get something done about the back bumper - I was thinking maybe getting the top half of the bottom section sprayed, leaving the cutout over the exhaust in bare plastic. Disappointing to think that on a car at this price you'd have to spend extra to get it looking right, but as the rest of the car is so perfectly balanced I think I can forgive VW.

So there you go, I know you've heard a lot of this before in all the reviews, but it's true.

Would I get one? I'm thinking about it, it's just the cost to change vs. what it offers over and above my current car. My BM has everything I could need on paper, and when I got back in it I didn't immediately start picking fault (I should hope not). I just drove home and remembered I already have a great drivers car - just not as special, but is that enough of a reason? Hmmmmmm.....

Anyway, great car VW 169144-ok.gif

Paul. Excellent write up. Thanks for that. I'm going to try and get a test drive shortly. 169144-ok.gif TP.

TP... let me know if you do get a TD and if you want a passenger. I'd like to see it and compare it to my current R32 bias assumptions smile.gif

No worries Brett...I can get a TD anytime now I think as Glenvarigill have a Demo in stock now. I'm away next week so maybe the week after? TP

PV72 has it spot on , the only downside is there is quite abit of road noise, saying that ive specced mine with 18" Monza 2 wheels so it probley b even worse. Ive owned lots of nice cars M3 e46 , new 530d etc but what i like about the golf it does the business without shouting it. Plenty fast enough for todays driving and it seems a quality product with a excellent driving position.

yelrotflmao.gif Just had a 'recorded for blah blah purposes' phonecall from VW asking how my GTi test drive went!

I politely pointed out that I hadn't had the test drive and was still waiting for them to come back to me when the car was available.

To their credit I got a call back from the sales guy less than 5 mins later so we'll see how the GTi fares smile.gif

Got my test drives booked for this Sunday..in a manual car first and then the DSG variant...looking forward to it 169144-ok.gif

Ive got the test hopefully this saturday, it will be very intresting. One of the first qestions I asked the dealer was how it compared to the R32. He said it is a totally differant sort of car due to the 4wd, where he said made the car flawed... Not sure i agree there wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Ive got the test hopefully this saturday, it will be very intresting. One of the first qestions I asked the dealer was how it compared to the R32. He said it is a totally differant sort of car due to the 4wd, where he said made the car flawed... Not sure i agree there wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ] The salesman who i spoke to told me to keep the R32!

Riz tongue.gif

Well I drove both the Manual and DSG cars yesterday fekr.gif

Overall it's a really good little car. Feels "tight" (in a good way), handles superbly (ESP is spot on), steering has just enough feel, brakes are fine, ride (both cars on 17's) was excellent and the performance was a blast. Only disappointment was the noise NONO3.GIF The UK cars do not sound as good as the initial reports had suggested, i believe the UK cars have been toned down a touch..shame. Anyway a trip to AmD/Milltek will sort that of course... ECLIPSe.gif

As a point of reference I drove a R32 after the two Mk5's-as my GF used to have one. Even though the R32 is a great little rocket this mk5 makes the mk 4 R32 feel very old. The brakes, damping, body control and strutural rigity of the new car is infinitely superior to the R32.

As an ownership proposition the Mk5 is also superior-better residuals/mpg/oil use/servicing cost and schedules etc

Will be very interesting to see what the R32 Mk 5 is like... notworthy.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Riz tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ignore the salesman, use your own judgement Riz beerchug.gif

Gareth just a couple of questions:

How did you find the performance compared to the R32.

Did you notice much torque steer, the salesman assured me it was absolutely unnoticeable, but personally I find that very hard to believe with 200bhp through the front wheels.

beerchug.gif

Hi,

The performance is totally comparable to the R32, but with a couple of considerations. The two demo cars I drove were still low mileage (2k on the Manual car and 150 miles only on the DSG car) so as is always the case with VAG cars the engine is very tight. However the manual car with 2k miles already felt like it was freeing up nicely and it would give the R32 (std car, not one fitted with a remap/Milltek of course) a run for it's money. Whilst the mk 5 is no lightweight I feel that the weight of the 4wd R32 mk 4 would hinder it's ability to shake off the newer car, especially on flowing A and B roads.

Flat out the R32 is (just) quicker but it really depends on the road, conditions, driver etc....but the other attributes of the mk 5 outweigh the older car IMO.

As for torque steer there is just a little. But the ESP (I drove half the time off and the other on) is very, very well set. In a tight 2nd gear roundabout I was able to push the nose a little wide under acceleration and then feel the ESP just feed in and then lighten up the rear under load-which you could then drift nicely. The roads were damp and cold yesterday so it was a good test of how good/bad the torque steer could be. Another thing here is the tyres fitted as OEM.

One car had Bridgestone RE050's which are a hard compound...the other car had Dunlop SP sports-which I am not very familiar with, but I would liken them to Michelin Pilot sports I've had on a few other cars. By that I mean they are a good all round tyre but nothng special. For me this car would really Goodyears GSD f1's or Pirelli Rosso's or Nero's and then it would handle even better.

Hope that helps a little 169144-ok.gif

Thank you, it will be intresting driving the two back to back this weekend. I'll let you know what i think 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

As an ownership proposition the Mk5 is also superior-better residuals/mpg/oil use/servicing cost and schedules etc

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting you think that residuals on the MkV GTi would be better over the R32 Gareth, especially when the GTi's are going to be far more common. You know something you're not letting onto here, or is it just a hunch?

I've still not had a test drive in the MkV GTi, but I have booked one. I can imagine it being very very good. I was impressed with the general MkV chassis when I had one as a loaner a few months back. That car only had a 1.4 engine but it played through the countryside very well indeed IMO.

I'll post my thoughts on the new GTi once I've had a proper spin in her.

I took the GTI out on Saturday, Very impressed, so impressed i've managed to convince my sister to order one. The performance was very similar to my R32, but the interior build quality didn't compare. Door cards seemed too vacume formed, or whatever it is they do. Sound wise i loved it, not too noisy, smooth ride. However I'll be sticking with my R32 for the timebeing.

Hiya Smudge beerchug.gif

My thoughts on residuals are driven by the following really;

1. R32 mk4 is the old shape - "old" shapes always speed up in the depreciation game as the new model rolls out

2. The mk 4 R32 doesn't book in the price guides. Therefore the residuals are basically set by the trade and buyers/sellers of course. With that in mind the market is not stable IMO-but it doesn't mean the R32 isn't a great little car of course before I get flamed !!

3. If VW stick to their original allocations for the mk 5 GTI of 5,000 units (if I recall correctly) that is not many cars for the UK market over 2005. That also help keep values strong this year.

4. The positive news/PR/press on the mk5 GTI will help with the values as well.

5. Yes a hunch as well.... sekret.gif I change my cars about 3-6 times a year and help a number of people over at www.BM3W.co.uk to buy/sell as best they can. Basically I hate losing money on cars and have made it my business to know the car business....and dealers hate that !!!

Cheers,

Gareth.

Not in the market for flaming, this is a discussion forum afterall (though some people miss that bit tongue.gif), everyone is entitled to their own opinion, especially if they are willing to back it up sensibly. 169144-ok.gif

My only comment on the above is this:

[ QUOTE ]

1. R32 mk4 is the old shape - "old" shapes always speed up in the depreciation game as the new model rolls out

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't the MkV R32 / R34 not due until at the late 2006 at the very earliest? The GTi & R32 are not the same car, obvioulsy chassis is the first point & the list goes on, but is this the car to compare as an alternative to the R32?

[ QUOTE ]

2. The mk 4 R32 doesn't book in the price guides. Therefore the residuals are basically set by the trade and buyers/sellers of course. With that in mind the market is not stable IMO

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see our point here. Many have noted in the R32 forum that the advertised price may not be that close to the final sale price. I can't comment as I have no experience of what people are getting used R's for, so hard to judge.

But 5000 GTi's this year isn't really "limited" and although I agree that the trade reviews etc etc etc are building a great perception, some areas of VW seem to be doing there best to shatter the illusion. I'm already hearing horror stories like RS4Barrys about cars going tits up, and if my dealer experience is anything to go by . . . . .

Flush.gif

I guess only time will tell. Fingers crossed at least.

beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Riz tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ignore the salesman, use your own judgement Riz beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ] It was only a general remark.... i didnt go there with the intention to buy anyway, the salesman knew this, but do you honestly think that i would part ex my R32 for a GTi... tongue.gif

Riz 169144-ok.gif