Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Smudge

New MkV Gti Test drive

28 posts in this topic

Some good points there Mate (as I slip out my pin striped flame suit grin.gif)

As regards the mk 5 R32 I don't think anyone really knows when it is due out..my guess would be Spring '06 though. Maybe the R32 is not the right car to compare to the mk 5 GTI..but as we've had one and just sold it-plus a lot or R32 owners will be considering the new GTI- I reckoned it was as good a place as any to start from 169144-ok.gif To be honest if you look at the mk 5's current competition -Megane/Type R etc- I wouldn't even consider one as the Golf punches above it's weight, and will tempt people out of alot more exotic machines. i know of 2 or 3 current e46 M3 owners looking at them and I've got a 2004 X5 4.4 Sport !!! FIREdevil.gif

Interesting - a few of the folks have said the mk5 Gti seems as fast as the R32.

Surely it can't actually be as quick 200bhp vs 255bhp?

I went down to the High Wycome dealers today. They have three cars in stock, one a demo and two for sale (blue and silver). Anyway I sat in the car. Its a lot nicer than I thought it would be. A good looking and feeling steering wheel (i'd be interested to know how many turns from lock to lock) was the first thing I noticed. The cabin is 'fresh' and a nice place to be, but surprisingly doesn’t make the Mk4 cabin feel old, or in fact any less nice.

I was a little put off by the lack of presence the car had. This is one area where i found the R32 shines, the GTI just doesn’t do that, and the wheels look small (are the 18's?). I hate to say it but it also has a bit of a lardy bottom, not the nicest I have seen, but perhaps it will grow on me.

Of course the looks of the car have never been the most important thing to me, or I would have gone for a Fiat Multipla (ba da boom) so I asked about performance and drivability.

Now this garage openly admits to not having that much experience with the R32, but the salesman is vaguely familiar and has recently had a bit of a thrashing in the GTI. Now he knew the GTI wasn’t for me (for my brother), and he saw me pull up in the R, but he said the dreaded words I prefer the GTI!!! He said there is virtually no difference in performance and the new car just drives so well, it is lighter, front wheel drive suits it better. Well I wasn’t happy. Not happy that a GTI could be a 'better' car than the mighty R.

But then there are a few things to remember:

By this time in the R32's life cycle, they were impossible to get a test drive in and pigs would ride penny farthings before you would see them on the road. High Wycombe had three in stock, and they implied it would be fairly easy to get hold of one as long as the spec wasn’t too complicated.

If I was to get one it would be fully speced like the R. I was flabbergasted when having a look at the options list that the car could come to around a whopping £28k ish mark. (now I may be slightly wrong in that, as I don’t know if some options overlap), but I have to add, I don’t think I put DSG on (£1200).

This is an expensive car, and due to the reasons above you can’t help thinking that residuals on highly speced cars may not be as good as we want them to be.

Now don’t you dare think by any means I am putting the GTI down at all because if anything I am a little worried that this car could be more of a rival to the R32 in terms of performance than I thought it would ever be. Magazines are raving about it (including Autocar, who were not a fan of the R32) and you can see why, it is a fun, lighter car, that is both practical and luxurious, and in this respect there is really no competition.

I cant believe I have rambled on this much about a car I haven’t even driven yet. I think it will be very interesting to drive them both back to back.

P.S just in case any of you R owners are getting worried, I still prefure the R, but that’s just me.

beerchug.gif