Replace Heatshields - That'll be £2250 - Thanks!!

Kraken

Well I've finally got an official response from Wayside about the 'rattle/crackle' noise from 2500rpm upwards on my S4. Apparently it's my heat shields and despite the car being 6 months into it's "Approved Audi" warranty when I originally asked what the noise was, and now 9 months from purchase when they've confirmed it, it seems the warranty doesn't actually cover them.

So it's over to me...

In fairness Craig at Wayside says he's spoken with Audi UK and they're prepared to put in 70% as a goodwill gesture, but it leaves me with £680 (presumably plus VAT) to find.

So what DID my warranty cover?

Well apparently my dud heated mirror on the drivers door, the gas struts that don't open the boot and the linkage on the gearbox that makes a sound like a dropped aluminium (aluminum for our USA friends) ring pull going between 3rd and 4th.

Reading the booklet the exhaust system is not covered (fair enough - they are perishable items), so I guess that the shields must be interpreted as part of the exhaust system. confused.gif

The reason for the massive cost is that it's an engine out job to sort it, so looks like I'm stuck with it.

Personally I'm less than amused (surprise surprise)as it means the intended visit to 'Silicon Heaven' (Revo or AMD) in the very near future is now down the toilet while my 'Approved Audi' costs me and Audi combined nearly 12.5% of the purchase cost of the car 9 months ago.

So 'Caveat Emptor' - even if it is an approved car from an Audi main dealer.

"Fixed twice"?? - is there a fix outside of removing the engine etc or did you end up forking out £4K+ ?

How long did the fix last for, coz I'm not thrilled with the idea of this sort of expense on a regular basis. (Once is a PITA, twice is a "Will I buy an Audi next time?" thing.)

I had suspected from reading posts on the various Audi groups that the heat shields were at fault, but taking the head mechanic at Wayside out for a spin in the car back in December and getting the noise quite readily, he said he wasn't sure what the noise was. The suggestion was that I live with it until it's next service was due then they'd have a look. Not very impressed with that - more so as I did suggest that this was possibly the shields at that time!

They did not have to take the engine out. It first occurred at about 10k miles on mine and was fixed during a service under warranty. Then after I had a lot of mods done on the car (RS4 turbos and full Milltek exhaust) it started doing it again. HWM Audi wouldn't fix it under warranty due to the mods, so I got AmD to fix it. I can't find the invoice but I believe the parts cost was about £15 and the labour about £350.

The heatshield is a bugger to get to. I think AmD pulled the gearbox to reach it. Scott said at the time he thought they were going to have to pull the engine, but given it takes 26 hours I'm glad they didn't!

Hi there

Its not just a commen problem on S4 as my S6 avant has had this problem, at 2500rmp up it starts rattling, when i took it to Meridian Audi i was told £1800 plus replaice cats as they said they had rusted to the down pipe section at a total cost of £2800,the down pipe is fine its just the shields, i told them they could sing for that!

so i still have the same problem, it causes no performance loss and you only realy hear it in first thru second so im gonna live with it untill a cheaper alternative comes along without power loss,

Try powerflow in St Albans (i think its London rd not sure) they make a variety of custom exhaust parts and may be able to solve the heat shield problem, i would look into it my self but as mine look like an old tea bag ,

im to totally replaice

hope this helps

Bod

My S4 has the vibration from 2500rpm upwards. It is when on boost and usually better heard in 3rd gear upwards.

Third time lucky it sounded when I had the Audi technician in my car about three weeks ago.

He said later that day that my turbo actuator linkages are vibrating. You need two new turbos frown.gif

Also the other noise I got them to listen for - a clunk when coming to rest after heavy braking - was the rear suspension link arms need replacing. frown.gif

Thankfully, this is all covered by warranty cool.gif Thank you Executive Audi beerchug.gif

I call them today to find out how long before all the parts are in and they've booked me in for 27/28 March, with a courtesy car, and they said they were only waiting for the manifolds....... confused.gif eh?! I didn't know they were going to be done as well. I'll just shut up and let them get on with it. fuck_scott.gif

I'll have new car before long grin.giftongue.gif

Thanks guys - apologies to Drill, I got pulled up for spelling colour "strangely" elsewhere so I thought I'd better try and walk the middle line. (SOOL on that one...) Flush.gif

I do happen to know the car's former owner (he bought a 2001 S4 as it happens) and after E-Mailing him as I thought he'd mentioned the Heat Shields before, I've been told that they were previously done on the car - under warranty.

So I'm gonna be phoning Wayside to discuss the situation as he had all work on my car performed there and presumably they can explain what went wrong with their replacements.

Rob K - thanks for the info, I'll mention that to Wayside about HWM Audi managing to do the deed without removing the lump. I also know that they use AMD for tuning mods etc, so perhaps they might chat with Scott about it. Failing that Bicester is only 20 minutes or so away.

Bod - you're right, there is also no performance problem here, although the noise is exactly as Biturbo describes and more obvious on my S4 in 3rd gear and onwards, problem is the only way to drown it out is to apply a bit of gentle "music" - doesn't need much, but at least you don't hear the rattle!!

Useful info about Powerflow thanks, not that far from me either so I may well get a quote there if Wayside stay high on price.

I'm also a bit intrigued about what exactly the heatshield/s are - I know the function, but are they truly a part of the exhaust system? On that basis you/they could argue that so are the turbo's as they are integrated into the system also, or am I being just a bit too pedantic?

I'd hate to think Biturbo's actuator linkages which are apparently making pretty much the same noise at the same RPM's and intruding on the earholes from the same gear as I'm getting, are another problem spinning off from the heatshields - mine makes the noise all the time now although it started as he describes it - about every 3rd to 4th time I used medium (not hard - although that DOES do it every time now) acceleration. Maybe I've got more bad news on the way. frown.gif

Guess maybe I'm being a whinging g!t, but I wasn't expecting this sort of expense having bought the full package from a main dealer.

The Audi.co.uk site reckons that:

"Audi Centres have a simple philosophy about the purchase of a used Audi. It should be no different to buying new. No different in peace of mind."

then goes on to say:

"The durability and high quality finish of an Audi means that what you can see might be difficult to distinguish from new. But you can also rest assured that we have done everything to make certain that it is also true of what you can't see. Before becoming an Approved Used Audi a car has to pass one of the most rigorous examinations in the business. A qualified technician makes no fewer than 110 separate mechanical, bodywork, interior and electrical checks, conducts a full road test and prepares a detailed written report...."

Maybe heatshields don't get included on the 110 point check - they certainly can't be easily seen or maybe they aren't expected to be durable? And as for peace of mind - I'd like to give the person who came up with that bit of sales gab a piece of mind. wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Rob K - thanks for the info, I'll mention that to Wayside about HWM Audi managing to do the deed without removing the lump. I also know that they use AMD for tuning mods etc, so perhaps they might chat with Scott about it. Failing that Bicester is only 20 minutes or so away.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it was actually Aston Green in Slough that replaced it the first time. HWM were the ones who wouldn't do it.

The heatshield in question surrounds the nearside turbo and the exhaust manifold. Its function is to protect the other engine components from the extreme temperatures these parts reach. I wouldn't exactly say they were "part of the exhaust system" but they still need to be there.

The reason they keep rattling is either one of the bolts holding them on breaks, or the heatshield itself breaks. My heatshield was cracked completely in two; the pieces then flap about and cause the irritating rattle. Mine used to do it at about 2-3000 rpm.