Competitors to new GTi

shao_khan

I See Auto express had some 'images' of the new Astra GSi (or whatever badge it will wear) and I must say in appearance I like it better than the Golf. For a start Vauxhal didnt appear to skimp onpaint so the Astra is all one colour and doesnt have silly half black bumpers and grill.

[ QUOTE ]

GTi comes up tops in this month's EVo against the Leon Cupra R, BMW 120i and Astra SRi 200.

I haven't fully read the article yet, but from skimming over it, it sounds like quite a comprehensive 'win' for VW...

[/ QUOTE ]

I read it and didn't think it was that much of a convincing win for VW. It won, but didn't leave the others standing.

Maybe I was biased and read it 'too' much and made it out to be a closer call than it was - anyone else read it!

169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

GTi comes up tops in this month's EVo against the Leon Cupra R, BMW 120i and Astra SRi 200.

I haven't fully read the article yet, but from skimming over it, it sounds like quite a comprehensive 'win' for VW...

[/ QUOTE ]

I read it and didn't think it was that much of a convincing win for VW. It won, but didn't leave the others standing.

Maybe I was biased and read it 'too' much and made it out to be a closer call than it was - anyone else read it!

169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Chill Chill.... maybe VW are saving the one that will leave others standing... the next R32!

Riz 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Chill Chill.... maybe VW are saving the one that will leave others standing... the next R32!

Riz 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

But it'll still be a fast version of the not-so-nice looking MKv...... they'd better pull the styling magic out their wee VW bums to pull it off 169144-ok.gif

Anyway, regardless of wether we like it or not, its from the VW stable and we should support it and welcome the GTi into the fold as another example of VW engineering that is better than the other brands!

smile.gif

The GTI's competitors is kinda of a grey area now.. the obvios crew such as Renault Megane 225, Leon Cupra R, astra SRI 200 etc..

Not sure about the BMW its not that sport orientated really.. not unless they bring out a M model..

The price of the GTI when some kits been added takes it into a different class of cars altogether, not direct competitors but cars that provide an interesting option when we're talking £24K.. Things like the Mazda RX8 or the Nissan 300Z, Impreza Turbo, Alfa GT... To many good cars that may offer more. IMO..

Its clearly the best HOT hatch but is it the best sports option for £24K?...not sure..

I agree. On a careful reading it was not the devestating victory that some of the press are making it out to be.

Interestingly, this weeks AUTOCAR has a full road test, and agian with a careful reading there are certainly areas that are not perfect.

And as for the Astra VXR...thats going to be a tasty little car. Well specced and quick too 169144-ok.gif Even the 5 door in the afore mentioned article is a very handsome car on those thin spoked 18's grin.gif