New Yoik!

Mollox

And if you need any goodies (eg I just ordered the Slim Squeezebox) then order online and have stuff delivered to your hotel for your arrival (in the name box on the web order forms put "Mollox - Guest Arr 7 Feb" or similar). Any decent hotel will then hold the item for you.

If you order from most companies in a different state (or people like Amazon.com who are registered in Delaware or similar) then there is no tax to pay. Apple have retail shops in every state so they will charge you wherever you have it shipped.

If buying camera's in New York, there is only one shop I would trust, and that's B & H Photo on 34th and 9th. (That's how to ask any cabbie for a destination, always state street and avenue in that order to get to a corner then provided you got the direction of the street correct, ask him to "pull up over there" outside your venue, else get out and walk from the corner of the block). Never ask for, say, "420 Ninth Avenue" in this case, the cabbie won't have a clue.

Enjoy the trip, I'm there tomorrow and again 3th Feb.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you're flying on the 3rd Colin or flying in on the 2nd and 'recuperating' on the 3rd?

The deliver to hotel idea is genius!

I'm getting quite excited actually, unusual for me. Can't believe I haven't been to NY yet. I think for trip #1 I'm coming at this from a Hollywood angle, hence the limo idea wink.gif

I imagine there will be a conflict between Liz's need to sightsee and my need to eat everything but I'm sure we'll manage.

I'm already finding things I like the sound of, like:

"At Shula’s Steak House, one of the featured entrees is a 48-ounce porterhouse steak. Those who finish it join Shula’s 48-Ounce Club, which currently has more than 23,000 members nationwide."

169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I'm getting quite excited actually, unusual for me. Can't believe I haven't been to NY yet. I think for trip #1 I'm coming at this from a Hollywood angle, hence the limo idea wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly the reason we did it 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

At Shula’s Steak House, one of the featured entrees is a 48-ounce porterhouse steak. Those who finish it join Shula’s 48-Ounce Club, which currently has more than 23,000 members nationwide."

[/ QUOTE ]

EEK2.GIF Go on I dare you tongue.gif

So you're flying on the 3rd Colin or flying in on the 2nd and 'recuperating' on the 3rd?

I wish! I am flying there on the 3rd, reporting at Heathrow at 09.30 and should be at the hotel in New York by around 3.30pm local time (8.30pm UK).

Wake up call is at 6.00am New York time next morning for a 9am flight back to London, arriving 20.40 UK time, which means I'll be home by about 10pm.

Most flights leave New York in the evening for an early arrival into Heathrow, but this is our "daylight maniac" as it's called. In New York itself for about 18 hours!

PS If you are thinking of booking this flight, please wait a few days as my final roster is not confirmed just yet.

We’re booked on AA @ 8pm. 1st choice was BA @ 2030 (has to be evening as I’m working that day) but availability went south. We’ve got a 2355 dep on the way back which is pretty much exactly as we wanted it.

I take it you’re not driving on the way back?

Just as well I’m not on your flight really – the temptation to cause mischief would have been too great! wink.gif

Anyway, that means you can pick us up from the airport - can you get hold of a limo? tongue.gif

Ok, blatantly pinched from someones post about NY on scoobynet sekret.gif ......

According to Zagat's Guide, the most popular restaurants in NY are:

1. GRAMERCY TAVERN

Flatiron District

42 E. 20th St. (bet. B'way & Park Ave. S.) New York, NY, 10003 (212) 477-0777

The “definition of fine dining” for many NYers, Danny Meyer’s Flatiron New American – ranked No. 1 for Popularity this year – “exceeds expectations” on all fronts, from chef Tom Colicchio’s “masterful” food to the “rustic” yet “luxuriant” decor and “beautifully choreographed”, genuinely “warm” service; plan to book way ahead, and if you’re price-conscious, try the less costly, but equally lovely, drop-in front tavern.

2. UNION SQUARE CAFE

Union Square

21 E. 16th St. (bet. 5th Ave. & Union Sq. W.) New York, NY, 10003 (212) 243-4020

An “enduring” “all-star”, Danny Meyer’s “benchmark” New American off Union Square “has the magic” to elicit “wall-to-wall smiles” – credit goes to chef Michael Romano’s “exhilarating”, “soul-satisfying” cuisine, “seamless service” from “the smartest staff” going and a “genteel” but “not-too-formal” ambiance; while you’ll “thank your lucky stars” when you land a “coveted reservation”, those who “can’t wait” “can always sit at the bar” for a “primo” bite.

3. DANIEL

East 60s

60 E. 65th St. (bet. Madison & Park Aves.) New York, NY, 10021 (212) 288-0033

There’s “true joie de vivre in the air” at Daniel Boulud’s East Side flagship, a “crème de la crème” experience where the “sumptuous” New French cooking (rated No. 3 in this year’s Survey) is the “stuff of dreams”, the wine list “vast”, the service “flawless” and the flower-festooned room “opulent to say the least”; in sum, it’s the “ultimate special-occasion restaurant”, and as for the price, it’s “still cheaper than a midsize car.”

4. GOTHAM BAR & GRILL

Greenwich Village

12 E. 12th St. (bet. 5th Ave. & University Pl.) New York, NY, 10003 (212) 620-4020

This “modern NY classic” has provided some 20 years of “high-end” Village dining and still stands tall in surveyors’ esteem: chef Alfred Portale’s “towering” New American creations continue to “tantalize”, the “soaring-ceilinged” setting remains casually “glamorous” and service is “top-notch”; if prices also induce vertigo, a sure cure is the $25 bargain lunch.

5. AUREOLE

East 60s

34 E. 61st St. (bet. Madison & Park Aves.) New York, NY, 10021 (212) 319-1660

A “perennial” “wow”, Charlie Palmer’s “classically elegant” East Side townhouse offers chef Dante Boccuzzi’s “celestial” New American fare, including some “showstopping desserts”; “meticulous service” caps the “idyllic experience”, but “bring your entire paycheck” or opt for the “late-lunch bargain” to “savor the moment.”

6. RIVER CAFE

Dumbo

1 Water St. (bet. Furman & Old Fulton Sts.) Brooklyn, NY, 11201 (718) 522-5200

It’s “the view, the view, the view” that keeps “romantics” swooning at Buzzy O’Keeffe’s “s****y” New American (rated No. 1 for Decor in this Survey) tucked under the Brooklyn Bridge, though the “wonderful”, “beautifully presented” cuisine and “stellar” service are just as “spectacular”; in short, it’s “the best date [place] in the city”, and while the prix fixe–only dining here is quite “expensive”, the enamored enthuse it’s “worth every penny"

Oh and a reply from someone who has just got back....

[ QUOTE ]

Just this minute got back from there

F*cking freezing- wrap up warm.

wind chill is making temp -15 at the mo and i think it hit -20 yesterday. It is below freezing without the wind factor....... still, central park is stunning in the snow.

[/ QUOTE ]

The deli that is mentioned above with the worlds biggest sandwiches i think would be carnegies deli on 7th at 55th www.carnegiedeli.com

We used carmel cars when we were in NY in December. It is $44 from any manhattan address to EWR. They have a website but can't find the ad at the moment.

If you want a decent meal go to The Rvier Cafe, is right under one of the pillars for the Brooklyn Bridge on the Brooklyn side so you look out at the manhatan skyline whilst you eat.

AA are pretty good, give me the flight details wink.gif

• 2 weeks later...

So...

Its tonight that I go! smile.gif

Just a thought, whats the beef with tipping in NY?

Who do I tip? When? and How much??

Do I give the porter a dollar every time he opens a door? (I'm hoping the answer is no), will he hate me if i give him a dollar for carrying my bags??

Do cabbies really EXPECT 15-20%?

These crazy yanks...

You are expected to tip everywhere!! Its fecking crazy! Every drink you buy in a bar costs you a dollar more (buy a few at a time and rack 'em up to save a few quid!). I wasn't sure about the door thing. They opened the doors for you each time you went through them at our hotel and it would have been insane to tip them each time. When they get your bags in or out of the car, fair enough.

Everybody wants your money over there!

Loads of great clothes shops at the south end of Broadway including a great Puma shop with loads of retro stuff that I had never seen if you like that kind of thing. And a quality G-Star shop a few blocks north of that.

Enjoy!!

You tip in any service outlet. It's just part of the deal in the States as service industry staff get paid only a tiny amount by the establishment, the rest of their income are tips which keeps them on the ball.

If you run a tab at the bar, then add approx $1 a drink, or sitting at the bar just leave a dollar with your change as you go.

A ready reckoner is to look at the bill and double the tax as NY has 7.5% tax so you can immediately see how much to tip efectively. Never round it down to pennies, just up to the nearest dollar.

Tip cabs but never doormen. A dollar a bag for putting in the cab or couple of dollars a bag for bringing to your room is normal.

Brits only complain because they aren't used to it. Our service charges are all built in *and* we have 17.5% VAT so even with the transparent tipping method, it's still cheaper over there.

You'll know when you f*ck up because the waitress will come running after you and say "you left this on the table" if your tip is too meagre.