Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Belchy

New golf GTI

65 posts in this topic

Especially as when the R was first released the main competitor was the Focus RS which had a 2.0ltr turbo and front wheel drive.

I think the GTi will be a very good car, but for me no way its successor, I wouldn’t trade the R in for it, but then I need the 4 wheel drive to maximise the vitally important 0-30 time.

beerchug.gif

I'm not bashing the mk5 GTI - I've only seen it, not driven it.

I would say that a lot of what you guys are saying is based on magazine articles unlike what I'm saying. So how do you define a "better" chassis then? Can you actually tell me WHY it's better or have you just READ that it's better?

I think what most people are doing is comparing the mk4 GTI to the mk5 (miles apart it seems) then directly translating that comparison to the R.

Maybe that's a little unfair?!

As mentioned, a GTI would have been in the hedge about four times yesterday (high speed country lane driving in terrible weather, and the odd overtaking manouevre) where any FWD car, no matter what it was, would have been stuffed.

[ QUOTE ]

So how do you define a "better" chassis then? Can you actually tell me WHY it's better or have you just READ that it's better?

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a 1.4 Golf Mk V for the day as a loaner last year whilst my car was in the dealers to be serviced (and clocked up about 200 miles). The car handles and performs extremely well, especially in comparison to the old 1.4 MkIV Golf my GF used to have (just about a spot on comparison I believe) hence my current assumptions that if I'm impressed by a standard 1.4 Golf, the the GTi, with a more powerful engine, better ride set up etc etc etc will knock spots off of what I drove last year.

So yes, I am "assuming", but in a rather fair way - I think. As for the MkIV GTi vs MkV GTi comparisons, I've not read one yet, but then I only tend to read Evo.

I think it can be assumed that the mk5 GTI is a LOT beter than the mk4 GTI but the R is dramtically different.

BTW - I also only read (and subscribe to) EVO too!

That however doesn't mean the mk5 GTI is "better" than the mk4 R32 or that the mk5 R32/34/36 will automatically be better than the mk4 R32.

Good on VW for working so hard on the mk5 though.

I think they should have made it look a little better though. The GTi anni Mk4 i thought was a good looking car, I am assuming the Mk5 will grow on me, but now i can't say i like it, a bit too bland and Polo like, maybe a subtle aftermarket bodykit would liven things up, and the wheels are too small.

I think that’s all nice, except maybe the wheels. I think part of my problem is I really like the look of the Mk4, and the R32 just tops it. I remember CAR magazine once described the R32 as an old man wearing a shell suit, but I don’t agree, every time I see it I think, I am a lucky lad, and what a great car for the price, looks serious, goes serious and sounds serious. Maybe the GTi isn’t quite the same in this respect?

[ QUOTE ]

I remember CAR magazine once described the R32 as an old man wearing a shell suit,

[/ QUOTE ]

I read that and automatically thought of Fatcat, wearing a Shellsuit.

crazy.gif

suicide.gif

Sorry Pete.

Never met Fatcat, but now I know how to visualise him. beerchug.gif

Mk4 Anni was indeed a looker and I've mistaken black ones for R32s a few times from a distance.

GTI not quite there IMO but I'd like to see one in black.

[ QUOTE ]

The new GTI can have the best chassis in the World but it's still "wrong wheel drive" and a turbo'd small capacity engine.

[/ QUOTE ]

True but the R32 doesn't have "right four wheel drive" .............. and the R32 is pretty underpowered for a 3.2 no? I had an A3 3.2 pretty much the same engine and drive setup as the R32 and I must admit it didn't do it for me.

[ QUOTE ]

I had an A3 3.2 pretty much the same engine and drive setup as the R32 and I must admit it didn't do it for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

NONO3.GIF Chalk & Cheese, had to test drive the A3 3.2 just to convince myself. I'd say the A3 was more like the V6 4mo, more of a powerful cruiser than the R32. Afterall, if the A3 was a competitor to the R, it would be lowered, body kit as standard, possibly noisier (most of us know what the V6 can sound like) etc etc etc.

But again, I can see why people compare. I did, for a while.

..and an RS4 or mental diesel Skoda wouldn't do it for me either.

It takes all sorts you know.

If you drive an R properly, the 4 wheel drive is in constant use and works a treat.

Its not "4 wheel drive" which I think was Barry's point wink.gif

Technically, no matter how you drive it (unless you drive in mud all the time) you're going to be FWD almost all the time smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Its not "4 wheel drive" which I think was Barry's point wink.gif

Technically, no matter how you drive it (unless you drive in mud all the time) you're going to be FWD almost all the time smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Mmm are you sure? if it was setup like this why do people removed the haldex fuse to run the car on a FWD rolling road?

I think the R32 runs "mostly" FWD but has say approx 20% running all the time to the rear... something like 80% FWD / 20% RWD.

Riz smirk.gif

So why does it launch from a standstill so well, why does it grip so well, why doesn't it understeer all the time, why don't the front wheels spin, etc, etc?!!

Is it because it's FOUR WHEEL DRIVE?!

I found that with my old S3 the only real advantage of the haldex 4 wheel drive mode was the hammering away from the lights - around corners and on the track, the weight penalty with having this got in the way i'd say. It seemed to me that the ESP made the difference if I overcooked it (most definitely turned off on the track though!).

I don't think there is any real advantage of the Haldex 4 wheel drive for handling around corners/tracks.

The R32 doesn't understeer as much due to the differing anti-roll bars and possibly different suspension geometry settings.

NO grin.gif

Its because its ALL WHEEL DRIVE! the_finger.gif

Good lord, stop being so bloody stubborn!

'Four Wheel Drive' refers to permanent fourwheel drive which cannot be disconnected on the move. Found on off roaders.

The Haldex coupling apportions torque according to readings from various sensors, but in its latent state in the absence of any slip, only the front wheels are driven.

Unpuff your chest now tongue.gif

Also, AWD aside, a great part of the reason the front wheels dont' spin is ESP wink.gif Believe me, you can get ALL the bloody wheels spinning on these Haldex cars if you disconnect ESP and you drive it right 169144-ok.gif

* lack of understeer will more likely be front suspension stiffness rather than any traction issue - I think....could be wrong though.

[ QUOTE ]

Mmm are you sure? if it was setup like this why do people removed the haldex fuse to run the car on a FWD rolling road?

[/ QUOTE ]

Riz, I'm no scientist so excuse my pub science smile.gif

OK so on 2WD RR, the Haldex car has its front wheels on the rollers, and the back wheels on the concrete floor...

Driver floors it, front wheels start to spin on the rollers. Acceleration sensors report no forward motion and vehicle speed remains zero. What does the car think is happening? Thats right, wheelspin!

Then what do you think the Haldex ECU does? wink.gif

There's 2 outcomes. One is going to be very expensive. The other is going to be REALLY, REALLY expensive!

That's why the fuse is pulled 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Mmm are you sure? if it was setup like this why do people removed the haldex fuse to run the car on a FWD rolling road?

[/ QUOTE ]

Riz, I'm no scientist so excuse my pub science smile.gif

OK so on 2WD RR, the Haldex car has its front wheels on the rollers, and the back wheels on the concrete floor...

Driver floors it, front wheels start to spin on the rollers. Acceleration sensors report no forward motion and vehicle speed remains zero. What does the car think is happening? Thats right, wheelspin!

Then what do you think the Haldex ECU does? wink.gif

There's 2 outcomes. One is going to be very expensive. The other is going to be REALLY, REALLY expensive!

That's why the fuse is pulled 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Ahhh i see... anyway i dont want to spin all four wheels, burn my clutch out and mess my gearbox up just to get a fast zero to whatever time!

I used to own a Audi S3 and must say that the R32`s Haldex and ESP programs seem to be a step up.

The package of the R32 is good, its a all rounder.

I think the new GTi is also a good all rounder but with more interior space, the new MK5 Golf seems more of a bubbly car overall, a bigger car compared to the MK4`s, well it seems that way.

I must say the new GTi is very good and will sell loads.

My car days are numbered as im just about to buy a place of my own.

So im going to hold onto the R32 aslong as possible for many years to come hopefully.... if all goes to plan.

Riz 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I used to own a Audi S3 and must say that the R32`s Haldex and ESP programs seem to be a step up.

The package of the R32 is good, its a all rounder.

[/ QUOTE ]

The R32 uses the same modern haldex software revinsions as the A3 3.2 Quattro. Also when the R32's were given their ecu software upgrade due to software issues this upgraded them to a similar release found on the 3.2TT and A3 3.2.

There are tons of FWD cars out there that outhandle the R32 admitedly none come from the VAG stable. Integra type R anybody?

[ QUOTE ]

There are tons of FWD cars out there that outhandle the R32 admitedly none come from the VAG stable. Integra type R anybody?

[/ QUOTE ] Yes but do they have all the same qualities the R32 does? Are they safer?

Riz 169144-ok.gif