Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
holybob

A3 Sport 2.0d DSG or VW Golf 2.0dGT DSG - Help!

15 posts in this topic

I've just had a 2002 A4 1.9TDI sport for 2 years and loved it. I've now got to order my new car (I've got a Rover 75 in the overlap!!!!).

Because the new A4s have come out, the price has gone above the pence per mile I;m allowed to have (company rules) so here's my choice:

A3 Sport 2.0Tdi DSG - standard spec + armrest

Golf 2.0dGT DSG - standard spec + armrest.

So, both cars are essentially the same apart from the Audi has the badge, but the Golf has more toys.

I loved my A4 and can't fault it at all, but surely the Golf is essentially the same?

I'm edging towards the Golf at the moment but need help deciding!

Oh, and I've got to order tonight.....

Help!

Bob

do a spec breakdown between the cars and see what you get...

i was looking at the tdi sport and when compared to the gt tdi golf i found the audi had more spec...not sure what the deal is on standard spec

just my 2p's worth

beerchug.gif

A3 comes with (things that matter....):

single CD

Driver Computer (DIS)

Dual climate control

Split folding rear seat (my A4 didn't have this!)

Heated, electric mirrors

Sports suspension

17" wheels

front fogs

The Golf has all the above plus:

rain sensing wipers

auto-dimming rear view mirror

cig lighter in boot

So, a couple more toys on the Golf but not TOO much. Both cars are around the same price though - £20.5K for Golf and about £21K for the VW. Doesn't matter to me though because work are paying.

Oh, the Golf has 5 doors..... if that matters.

I think the main reason I'm considering the Golf is that I've had an A4, and an A3 might feel like a downgrade, but a Golf would just feel 'different'. Do you know what I mean? I don't.

i think you'll be plesently suprised by the a3 then, i thought the build quality was superb, much better than the gloomier golf interior

go for the sportback(5 door) a3 tdi, will have the latest grill and still not many on the road

I can get the sportback, but thought it looked a bit too much like an estate though? And I'm only 27. Not studied one close up though, so I'll listen to opinions.....

Deffo the A3. Try and get the sportback - they look tops....I'd have one! 169144-ok.gif

Have a look at the review below if you want to have a look at a Sportback, has my views and a load of pictures. Oh and I have only just turned 30 and I have nnooooo problems with it whatsoever. Its a fantastic car and am sure you will love the DSG.

I would say go for the Audi, it will still be a lot different to the A4. I had an A4 before I got this and the A3 Sportback is miles better to drive and can really be chucked down the backroads plus its very nice to sit in as well.

And as for options, the Auto light / wipers / Dimming rear view mirror pack is the best value they do in my opinion and it all works well. 169144-ok.gif

OK, decision made. It's Audi all the way. If I can't fault my A4, why look elsewhere?

Now I just need to decide between 3 door and sportback. I'm gonna have to make a quick trip to Mssrs Smith Knight and Fay very early in the morning.......

I was considering the same choices. I currently drive an R32 but due to the high running costs - ok lets face it the sub 20's mpg figure. I decided to sell it and get something that'll do a few more mpg's.

I love my golfs and have had a fair few over the years so naturally thought I would go for the mkV golf.

When I specc'd the 2 cars up the difference in price wasn't that great.

The difference in interiors though is like night and day. I'm sure the golf is made of high quality materials but it just looks so cheap. Plus I think the golf looks too much like a 307 but I'm sure I will change my mind eventually when I am used to them.

The A3 has a much, much nicer interior and looks better as well.

J.

A3 A3 A3 anyday.... it's a step up!

The new golf is shocking inside... Fisher Price!

I've heard that the mk5 Golf interior quality has dropped significantly over the mk4 (which I had before the A3). I'd say the A3 is definately a step up, even from the mk4.

Also, the mk5 Golf seems to be really common already, you won't be able to move for them in a year or two.

Anybody read what cars, bmw1, A3, golf reviews?

guess which comes out on top!

Its not the first 2 on the list.

Infact most reviews put the golf in front of bmw, audi!!!

Over the new A3, the only Mk V Golf worth buying is the GTI. The BMW 1-Series looks dung.gif compared to both the A3 and the Golf.