Specs of mk3 vw golf

mogue

Hi, I am looking at getting a mk3 gti 2.0 16v gti and I was wondering if there is anything that I should look out for when inspecting it that anyone knows of!

Whats your view on gun metal grey as a colour?

How can I tell it is a 16v and not 8v by looking at the engine because person is not sure which it is?

Were leather seats an optional extra when mk3 gti golfs came out?

Should I wait for one with leather seats?

This is what the advert says:

1996 VOLKSWAGEN GOLF 2.0 GTi 3

DR, N reg. 66000 miles, finished in metallic grey with contrasting cloth upholstery, pas, alloys, remote locking, e/windows, only 66,000 miles, fsh, in lovely condition. £3,495

....does this sound dodgy?

Sorry about all the questions but a newbie here smile.gif

Tobi

It will have a red 16V badge on the back (a lot of grill badges are nicked) and DOHC on the cam cover.

The red line on the rev counter will also be higher - It will start at about 6800rpm.

Shop around - I PXed my R reg 80k mile late 1997 one for a paltry £2500 when I got the R!

A great choice BTW - Fast, practical, cheap to run and well made.

Chances are it will be an 8 valver because every time they'd lift the bonnet the engine bay is dominated by the inlet manifold which has a big DOHC-16v written across the top. it'll probably be quite difficult to find one with leather though !! The mileage is reasonable providing it's genuine

good luck