M3Me's NEW GOLF GTi REVIEW

NewNiceMrMe

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

You wouldn't want to buy my "chavved up" one, especially if I fitted LED DRL's grin.gif.

169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hang on, are you saying you haven't done that yet? yelrotflmao.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

....Only because I haven't yet discovered how to! To be done tastefully of course grin.gif. [cue for you to say that such things can never be done tastefully]

169144-ok.gif

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've recently bought a GTi having owned a BMW E46 330isport.

The GTi is faster, more responsive, has much better handling, better ride quality, less rattles, superior seats, more economical, more fun!

I'm comparing a 20K car against a 30K one.

Sure it's overpriced but then all cars are! You certainly can't get much for around 20K these days. Some of the interior plastics are down in quality compared to the previous model but this is more than made up by the dynamics and the bits that matter like the steering wheel, pedals, seats etc are all fantastic. The engine is superb and has amazing torque for a 2.0 litre turbo. It has much more usable power than something like a Type R which to me feels like a 1.4 at normal revs.

I considered an A3 and a 1 series but you simply get a better all round car with the Gti, oh and did i mention the amazing dsg box? cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I've recently bought a GTi having owned a BMW E46 330isport. The GTi is faster, more responsive.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Strange considering the E46 330 cracked 60 in 5.9 in the hand of evo.

The Golf only has a power to weight a few clicks above my Pug GTi, but I would have thought the 330 is in a different league in a straight line?

Ian

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I've recently bought a GTi having owned a BMW E46 330isport. The GTi is faster, more responsive.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Strange considering the E46 330 cracked 60 in 5.9 in the hand of evo.

The Golf only has a power to weight a few clicks above my Pug GTi, but I would have thought the 330 is in a different league in a straight line?

Ian

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed Ian, I was just about to say I find it bizzare (not questioning the poster, just finding it very odd indeed) that a GTi can be faster than a 330Ci when it's very clearly not on all statistics.

I've driven both, and the latter many a time as a courtesy car - and I know which was faster - and it's not a Golf.

Perceived speed perhaps? Power delivery maybe making it feel quicker?

The rest I wouldn't necessarily question.

....Yes, I also have difficulty believing that a GTI could be faster than a 330Ci. However, much can be down to the driver. There's a full report I saw about how a very experienced German racing driver (who's name I forget) in a Mk5 GTI gave the driver of a new Porsche some serious competition around the Ring. The Porsche driver was so surprised that afterwards he asked what mods the GTI had.......It hadn't EEK2.GIF. It was mostly expert driving by someone who knows the 'Ring.

[ QUOTE ]

The price was, and is, the problem. It's just too expensive. Furthermore, I think the Focus ST makes it look very expensive indeed now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I felt that the GTI was a little steep initially. However, as a 'keeping car' I believed that it was better built and should stand the test of time better than the competition. I just specced mine relatively lightly.

The thing is, it's almost like saying a house in one part of the country is expensive when the same house in another part of the country is a lot cheaper. The fact remains that the initially more expensive property should still command a higher price tag come resale. (providing you don't slap on some LED rear light clusters of course tongue.gif) grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Driver makes a huge diffrenence round the ring. A good driver in a Gti could probably keep up or beat me in the CSL

[/ QUOTE ]

Having a rather intimate knowledge of the 'ring myself Wopps crazy.gif I would imagine a good driver (and I assume by 'good' you mean knowledgable) in an old banger would make mincemeat of you (and I) in your CSL and my Mini .......

Fear it...... smashfreakB.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Even I could beat you in the Pug I'm driving at the minute - you'd be pulling yourself out of the Armco inside 2 minutes grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What you got Mac? Thought you had a VW Polo as your London bash-bash car?

Ian

[/ QUOTE ]

He has probably lost it by now frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Have not tongue.gif

I've done at least 200 miles in it - I had to even put petrol in it the other day which was interesting cos I couldn't get the f*cking petrol cap off grin.gif

I pick up pool cars from work for my runabouts, the Polo is a station dump car. The polo will be back in the marketplace shortly as I've finished the project I needed it for 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

....Yes, I also have difficulty believing that a GTI could be faster than a 330Ci. However, much can be down to the driver. There's a full report I saw about how a very experienced German racing driver (who's name I forget) in a Mk5 GTI gave the driver of a new Porsche some serious competition around the Ring. The Porsche driver was so surprised that afterwards he asked what mods the GTI had.......It hadn't EEK2.GIF. It was mostly expert driving by someone who knows the 'Ring.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but it's the same driver RR...

I find the comments about the built quality strange too, as I felt the MKV was a huge let down compared to the MKIV in terms of build quality. I do agree with the MKV GTI being a cracking drive tho 169144-ok.gif