Lead times (especially DSG)?

robp

I was told by a guy at Alan Day in Southgate that the lead time for the manual was 4-5 months, and most interestingly given that I want the DSG, that "although the website says they are out now, we aren't getting the DSG in until November" (or words to that effect) i.e. he seemed to be suggesting that rather than there just being a delivery lead time for the DSG (which is to be expected), it isn't even out yet. I find this very surprising - it's certainly the first I've heard of this

Thanks guys; I suspected he was talking rubbish but was in a bit of a rush so didn't bother questioning him. The fact that he referred to it as 'the automatic' didn't exactly inspire me with confidence!

By the way, latest edition of Top Gear magazine has the DSG up against BMW120i and Impreza. DSG come out on top but I was surprised to see that they said 'the trade' were predicting steep depreciation - they said it would be worth less than £10k after 3 years. This is far less than predicted in this month's What Car, which estimated it would retain 60% of its value over that period

Yes, they've got the black 5 door manual outside, and a reflex silver 3 door inside. The silver looked really good, I have to say. The black looked a little dull. Trying to tempt the other half in to getting the 3 door, as it looks better as well as being cheaper, but she's adamant that getting a child seat in and out of the back of a 3 door is not on. Fair point, and I may have to give in on this one if I want a quiet life, but I'm not happy. Must be a sign of the GTI's target audience if baby seats come in to the equation. Anyone else have these sort of discussions!

By the way, the 18" wheels looked great. I've not seen the 17's so don't known if there is that much difference, but definitely tempted. I guess it's a wise tactic by the dealer to put the 18's on, as a lot of people will be tempted to part with the £450 having seen them

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks guys; I suspected he was talking rubbish but was in a bit of a rush so didn't bother questioning him. The fact that he referred to it as 'the automatic' didn't exactly inspire me with confidence!

By the way, latest edition of Top Gear magazine has the DSG up against BMW120i and Impreza. DSG come out on top but I was surprised to see that they said 'the trade' were predicting steep depreciation - they said it would be worth less than £10k after 3 years. This is far less than predicted in this month's What Car, which estimated it would retain 60% of its value over that period

[/ QUOTE ]

Those Top Gear comments are a little harsh IMO. Over the course of this year the GTI is going to be a very good bet residually...but if VW flood the market over the next two years (which they aren't this year) it will struggle to hold 55% IMHO.

as for the DSG lead times...I think the dealer is talking bollox...plus the manual is a much better drive anyway 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Rob,

The Silver 5 dr my dealer has got, I notice that ISO fix is fitted as standard to the rear seats and also a switch on the dash for the passenger airbag to be switched off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point

The other half has told me I can go for the 3 door if I really want to, though she's not happy (though she does admit it looks better!)

Spoke to a dealer via a broker yesterday: think I'm going to take the plunge on a 3dr, DSG. He reckons delivery will be in July, which is fine with me

Rob mate,

Just some ammo for you!!

The Gti has ISOFIX - which means the job of getting the seat in and out of the car is 100x easier and also some people say they prefer a three door when they've got a child seat. This is because in a three door you can 'approach' the seat from the front of it in a 3 door, where as it's from the side in a 5 - making putting the baby/child properly in it's seat a bit more of a challenge!!

Now this didn't work with my other half - but as i was more tempted down the Sportback route i didn't force the issue!!

Hope this helps!!

Well form has won the day over function: I've paid a deposit on the 3 door. A bit daunting paying that sort of money but hey, a man's got to have some indulgences in life

For anyone considering buying, I was referred very quickly by carfile (carfile.net) to a dealer in Leicester, who contacted me very quickly, seemed like a nice bloke (not that that matters, but I have a natural suspicion of car dealers (apologies if any readers are car dealers!), and most importantly, offered a decent price

Went for my test drive today and am going ahead with order, subject to getting reasonable Contract Hire quotes (co car)

Went through the details with the fleet manager, who was the first person in the dealers who seemed to know what he was talking about, and he told me that manufacture of RHD DSG cars will not start until week 16 and that paddles change will not be available on the early cars. I am apparently going to struggle getting a car with both of these for my preferred delivery date of early to mid July.

Fantastic car though 169144-ok.gif

I'm struggling to find anyone I can believe at VW. I spoke to the sales manager at another dealer today and he confirmed that manufacture of DSG cars WITH paddle wheels would not start until the end of April but customer cars without the paddles would be available from the beginning of April.

They're all such bunch of useless fSAUER0421.GIFers that I'm going to get a contract hire company to source one for me as VWs quote was comical

Hi,

This is very strange. I checked with my dealer last night and my order (GTI, 3-Dr, DSG & paddles) has been given a build date of March 1st and should be at the dealers on March 21st. The build week started out at 14 but has come back to week 9.

My car is leased through Lex Vehicle Leasing - I work for LVL so maybe that's helped...

Neil.

I think it depends upon the dealer / allocation etc.

I bought a Mini Cooper S in 2003. The wait from my local Dealers was 6 Months. At the time there was a lot of hype about the waiting lists (generated by the dealers?).

In the end I ordered from Warrington and got my car in 6 weeks.

It seems to be a similar story with the Golf Gti. My Local dealers are not giving discount and quoting waiting lists. Like my previous Mini, I've ordered mine from a supplier in the North West again. smile.gif

White GTi when did you place the initial order? Think that alot of people have tried to get a test drive in a DSG so have delayed ordering. Most have then given up and placed their order anyway. This has ment that if you got your order in, in the first few weeks of January you've missed the rush.

When I ordered mine dealer said that they send the cars with options like leather, DSG through in scheduled batches each month. Therefore if you the run is full in one month they dont extend it but push it onto the next month.