1st Service and Mk5 GTi Courtesy Car

JaffaCake

Had my car in for it's first variable service yesterday. Notifier came on at around 16k miles and it finally reached the dealer having just turned 18k with 300miles left before service was due. I have to say it felt like it needed a service for a while before then, a bit less smooth with a slightly lumpy idle. In the time up to the first service I'd put 2litres of top-up oil in.

After the service, £330 lighter, the car is now a lot smoother and more of an animal again. Idle is perfect and the rattle from my passenger seat fixed. They were too busy to investigate my heated seat issue, but did give me a clean car and a full bottle of top-up oil and VW screenwash to take home.

The highlight came when i got there and I'd missed the courtesy shuttle into town. Instead of walking or getting a taxi, instead I walked over to one of the sales guys.

"I've just booked in my R32 for a service and noticed you have a new GTi outside, I was wondering if I could borrow it for a test drive"

After a discussion with his colleague about whether anyone was really allowed to drive it before May, it was not their car but a VW loan, he came back with the keys cool.gif

Was an interesting drive, absolutely nothing like the R32 at all. Hard to compare with other Golfs at the R32 is the only one I've driven!

Comparing to the R32 the 6spd gearbox felt very different and I didn't like the knob. The dash seemed a bit more plasticky. My girlfriend reckoned there was more legroom on the passenger side but from the drivers perspective it felt like business as usual except for I felt like I was sat ON the seats, not IN them.

The first thing I did was almost stall it as I pulled away from the first junction. I've kind got used to a torquey 3.2 V6 now and the 2.0 turbo just didn't hack it. That being said, when on the move it felt quite nippy and mounted up revs quite quickly. The clutch felt more "normal car" than the R32 which I've always thought felt a bit different.

The power steering felt very different on the Mk5, almost over assisted if anything. The R32 is a heavy car in comparison though and this was very clear when driving the GTi.

Being a turbo car, I looked for a boost guage but there wasn't one which might have been nice to see. The dials I didn't like, not the steering wheel. All a bit normal really as was the feel of the whole car.

In reality, the whole package just lacked masculinity and I felt that my girlfriend should have been driving not me. Just felt like a woman's car.

They had 2 cars on the forecourt. The all 2 common red which just looks a bit ordinary and a black one which, in all honesty, looked quite good. It made set the stock wheels off nicely too.

So the new GTi is no threat to the R32 for sure, but I'd probably choose it over other cars in it's class e.g. Toyota Corolla T-Sport etc. If I wanted a more sporty boy racer feel, I'd be looking towards the Civic Type-R which I don't like at all but is more raw, noisier and has better seats. It doesn't have the options of the VW's though so if you wanted climate control etc. the GTi is the way to go.

[ QUOTE ]

I forgot. To answer my own question from previous times:

The 1st variable service is not an oil change and involves spark plugs etc. Essentially, you skip the odd services and just do the even ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't get plugs at 18.3k...should get them at 37.5k which is due in about 1k.

Did they change the plugs as part of the service [charged you] or as a warranty issue [booked to VW]..?