Where to buy - discounts?

silentandy

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gareth, I think you are being a bit paranoid on this discount business. Almost everyone here has obtained a discount of £1k or more with stu1 geting a whopping £2.5K, except you by the sounds of things which doesn’t say much for your negotiating skills. So how about telling as all what sort of deal you got?

I didnt get a discount and like Gareth buy lots of cars each year. Certainly a lot of guys on mkivs.net didnt get anything. There were some early discounts, but Drive the Deal, JamJar, Tins etc have all stopped. Only Broadspeed seem to have anything on a UK car - factory order -£500.

Mine was a cash deal, so no trade in to muddy the water.

Ive seen Gareth in action and if anyone can get a deal, he can. Both of us made lots of calls when we bought our and nothing was brewing.

Jonathan

I ordered a GTI a few weeks ago and after speaking to numerous dealers who would not even talk about discounts I ended up ordering through my leasing company. They are one of the largest leasing companies in the UK and they informed me that none of their dealers were offering any discount.

The only dealer which offered a discount (£1,000) was Reg Vardy Leicester BUT for August delivery.

It seems to me that it's a simple case of supply and demand and after all the positive press, demand is so strong that dealers don;t need to offer any discounts, not to mention the reported threat to dealer's allocations if they do offer any significant discounts.

If discounts are in fact widely available (which I very much doubt) then I obviously need to improve my negotiation methods sportifs2.gif

Hmm better not tell Gareth that all 3VW dealers that I visited at the weekend offered up discounts in excess of £1k with dealer fit extras for free. This was a cash deal with no trade-in and an anticipated delivery of late Aug or early Sept.

All this discount business is very strange indeed

[ QUOTE ]

Hmm better not tell Gareth that all 3VW dealers that I visited at the weekend offered up discounts in excess of £1k with dealer fit extras for free. This was a cash deal with no trade-in and an anticipated delivery of late Aug or early Sept.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wolfie

I've got no problem at all with anyone getting a decent discount on any car- especially when I make it my business to get as much of a deal whenever I buy or sell cars- but I do find it difficult to believe that on the GTI "certain" VW dealers (who have yet to be named...) are seeminlgy giving away ALL of their front end margin on a car that they are not allowed to and really don't need to...

it's well and good for people to say things like "I got £1,600+ off a GTI" and to then not be able to answer any pertinent questions as to how they got such a deal and if they even bought the car or were just window shopping.

My posts were not meant to be specifically confrontational but I'm still waiting for anyone to prove they got a sustantial % cash discount on a UK dealer supplied Golf GTI.

As I said before I'm happy to be proved wrong and make a contribution to charity as well buying a nice portion of humble pie beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

The main thing for me is that IF the GTI continues to sell at list, like a Cooper S for the near future, residuals will remain very high. I dont mind paying list if all are playing the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree 169144-ok.gif

The GTI is well placed to sell out of it's UK year one allocation of 6,000 units in the next 1/2 months as well-about 4k now. That bodes well for the future values and if VW dealers remain strong-which they should given the demand- the car will command decent residuals going forward.

BTW I've seen 2 VW dealers advertising identical cars to mine with 2-5k miles on for list or up to £1k over list... EEK2.GIF

August is when the next quota of cars go to people like drivethedeal, etc. Not knowing the demand drivethedeal and others offered big discounts to get rid of their stock. Their initial quotas were snapped up straight away and with no more cars to sell you could only go to the stealers. With supply limited to the stealers they've got a bit of a monopoly and can quote what they like. With the stealers knowing you can get compettion after august they'll start discounting for cars delivered after then. Bloody hell those economics lessons at school seem to have tought me something!!!

As per usual people seem to want to tell everyone how much they're paying for something. Not when their actually getting it. Ask yourself the question;

Do I want to pay full price and get it in Apr/May or get a discount and wait another 4 months till Aug/Sept

Anyway lets be happy we're all getting a bloody nice car and should be happy.

Best advise try and get the dealer to write down a delivery date on your order. You've then got something to try and get a discount on if it doesn't materialise.

Anyway

Online brokers such as drivethedeal.com were offering very good discounts at the beginning of January, I'm in no rush to replace my car so I'm thinking of holding on until around August/September to see if they start offering such discounts again.

I asked Carfile.net on the 10th of February for a quote on the following spec for a Golf GTI:

5 door (£500)

Laser blue (£335)

Front arm rest and cruise control (£385)

The list price for this is £21,215. A VW dealership emailed me the next day quoting £20,193 for this spec, saving me £1,022 on the list price (4.8% discount) with a delivery date of June/July.

I can't remember exactly what drivethedeal.com were offering at the beginning of January but it was around £19,700 I believe.

Anyway, it sounds like discounts are getting harder and harder to come by due to the popularity of the new Golf GTI, but my impression is that there are dealerships still willing to offer fairly decent ones beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wolfie

I've got no problem at all with anyone getting a decent discount on any car- especially when I make it my business to get as much of a deal whenever I buy or sell cars- but I do find it difficult to believe that on the GTI "certain" VW dealers (who have yet to be named...) are seeminlgy giving away ALL of their front end margin on a car that they are not allowed to and really don't need to...

it's well and good for people to say things like "I got £1,600+ off a GTI" and to then not be able to answer any pertinent questions as to how they got such a deal and if they even bought the car or were just window shopping.

My posts were not meant to be specifically confrontational but I'm still waiting for anyone to prove they got a sustantial % cash discount on a UK dealer supplied Golf GTI.

As I said before I'm happy to be proved wrong and make a contribution to charity as well buying a nice portion of humble pie beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Gareth, I notice you haven't answered Wolfies question on what sort of discout you got. Could it be that you are an undercover VW PD ready to grass up the competition grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wolfie

[/ QUOTE ]

Gareth, I notice you haven't answered Wolfies question on what sort of discout you got. Could it be that you are an undercover VW PD ready to grass up the competition grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What's a "VW PD" then?!?!?! smashfreakB.gif

Well actually I got a £3k discount as you're asking.... the_finger.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wolfie

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What's a "VW PD" then?!?!?! smashfreakB.gif

Well actually I got a £3k discount as you're asking.... the_finger.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

PD = Principal Dealer, or so I always thought.

£3K discount is bloody good; so are you going to substantiate this deal or do a Pureguilt?

Doc7

So close but no cigar....it's DP as in "Dealer Principal" (not as in "Ben Dover DP babes 7..." fekr.gif

And no I'm not a DP for VW, or any other brand of car...

And I was joking about the £3k discount...although I note my friend "pureguilt" has been a little quiet now....perhaps he's consulting his lawyer to bring a major libel case against me....yawn... ices_blah.giflol.gif

my friend "pureguilt" has been a little quiet now....perhaps he's consulting his lawyer to bring a major libel case against me....yawn... ices_blah.giflol.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I don’t need to consult a lawyer, I am one! I note that you still haven’t substantiated your own discount. Could it be that you are just as big and bloated as that X5 that you drive? All said without prejudice, of course!

[ QUOTE ]

my friend "pureguilt" has been a little quiet now....perhaps he's consulting his lawyer to bring a major libel case against me....yawn... ices_blah.giflol.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I don’t need to consult a lawyer, I am one! I note that you still haven’t substantiated your own discount. Could it be that you are just as big and bloated as that X5 that you drive? All said without prejudice, of course!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if you are a lawyer you really should know better than to make childish, hollow threats....oh sorry no that's what lawyers do anyway...how silly of me... the_finger.gif

In actual fact I don't drive an X5 at the moment as I sold that and then bought the GTI mk5.

I'll answer your one question when YOU answer ANY of mine !!!! ha.gif

from a dealers point of view, aren't car discounts totally dependent on a number of factors, one of which is margin and the other is meeting a monthly quoter. A dealer HAS to sell a certain number of cars each month or risk losing his franchise. So in theory, shifting a GTI for no profit to meet his quoter is very possible (if it's a gauranteed sale and they are desperate), knowing they'll make their profit back on other vehicles (used/etc) It's all about the right dealer, in the right place at the right time IMO.

[ QUOTE ]

from a dealers point of view, aren't car discounts totally dependent on a number of factors, one of which is margin and the other is meeting a monthly quoter. A dealer HAS to sell a certain number of cars each month or risk losing his franchise. So in theory, shifting a GTI for no profit to meet his quoter is very possible (if it's a gauranteed sale and they are desperate), knowing they'll make their profit back on other vehicles (used/etc) It's all about the right dealer, in the right place at the right time IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are only partly right with your theory. Dealers are usually measured on the following monthly and quarterly targets;

1. New car units

2. Used car units

3. Servicing sales/profitability

4. Customer service measures

When a dealer really needs to hit a number (not profit) they will sell their "bread and butter" cars at a 'paper loss' or with little or no front end margin. However they would be VERY unlikely to do that on a car like the mk 5 GTI because if they sell it with no margin/full discount VW UK will have visability on the deal and it goes against all the directives dealers have been given for the Mk5 GTI. If that happend they would be very likely to lose future additional allocations and the relationship between the franchise and VW UK would be soured somewhat...hence it's very unlikely that a dealer would sell a brand new mk GTI at zero margin just to hit a quarterly target and risk the wrath of VW UK...

Maybe later in the year when the cars are more plentiful it will be different of course...but for now...I very much doubt it sekret.gif

As we stand now VW UK are bringing in 6,000 units for 2005 and the order bank is at 4,200 units -forward and current - at the moment. So it's clear that the UK yr 1 allocation will be sold out soon and the values will continue to hold for the first 6 months (at least) of this year.