Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
silentandy

Where to buy - discounts?

65 posts in this topic

...but in some circumstances, they would. (which was my point).

It's about being at the right place at the right time.

Just before it's launch, I got what equated to 12% off a new 'facelifted' 3 series sport (fatory order) when all the other dealers were saying they couldn't and wouldn't knock 1p off.

This was based on me ordering before the 31st of the month in question - so that they could fill that month's quoter. They weren't bothered about profit as they knew they could make that up elsewhere (X5's etc).

I have been there (negotiating for cars on release) and it is rare to get discounts, especailly on something like a GTI. I have never managed it on anything other that the 3.

But it isn't impossible.

[ QUOTE ]

...but in some circumstances, they would. (which was my point).

It's about being at the right place at the right time.

Just before it's launch, I got what equated to 12% off a new 'facelifted' 3 series sport (fatory order) when all the other dealers were saying they couldn't and wouldn't knock 1p off.

This was based on me ordering before the 31st of the month in question - so that they could fill that month's quoter. They weren't bothered about profit as they knew they could make that up elsewhere (X5's etc).

I have been there (negotiating for cars on release) and it is rare to get discounts, especailly on something like a GTI. I have never managed it on anything other that the 3.

But it isn't impossible.

[/ QUOTE ]

right you're on really dodgy ground when you start quoting BMW margins/discounts to me.... the_finger.gif

A few questions;

1. was this the E46 and when?

2. Explain the 12% discount....given that there is an 8% front end margin on BMW's... znaika.gif

p.s. it's "quota" not "quoter"... ha.gif

The deal that I eventually signed up to was from a VW dealer in Dundee. £1450 off list with free mud flaps, 1st service and and an extra 2yr roadside assistance, Sept delivery. This was for a GTI MkV 5dr with leather,Sat Nav,xenons and met paint, No trade in. jump.gif

[ QUOTE ]

A few questions;

1. was this the E46 and when?

2. Explain the 12% discount....given that there is an 8% front end margin on BMW's... znaika.gif

p.s. it's "quota" not "quoter"... ha.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a facelifted E46, 320ci Sport just before the 03 facelift. It was a factory order in Saphire Black (met) with Grey (Montana) Leather, Sunroof, Electric folding mirrors, CD (front) player, F/C armrest

It was just under 30k (list) and mine for 26,5k

PS: I'm not on dodgy ground as i don't lie about things: the_finger.gif

My VW dealer told me (in confidence) that they have a 5% margin on the GTI. Is this likely to be correct? Do different dealers have different margins?

The whole profit margin thing is a minefield.

I was always under the impression that dealer mark up was 10% minimum.

When i bought my second Golf GTI 1.8T, the dealer showed me on his screen how the car was broken down financially. everything was there in black and white (vat, options, delivery etc etc) except for an unmarked sum of £1800 (the car was roughly 18k) he said this was the dealer's profit which he would split 50/50 with me. (i actually got this up to 1k off).

found this...

"UK and European main Franchised dealers usually work on a profit margin of 10%. They also get several target bonuses ranging on Service Level Agreements to target bonuses. As a rule of thumb the more common the vehicle the larger the discount."

169144-ok.gif

Looks like Doc7 has shut that ar*e Gareth up with his discount then!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on Gareth; lets hear your comments on Doc7's discount then sportifs2.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

nice attitude Fella... sportifs2.gif Easy to insult someone personally on a fourm isn't it..bet you feel so much better now.. suicide.gif

I just thought I'd wait to see what other people "claimed" they got a discount.... iamwithstupid.gif

The car/spec that Doc7 described sounds similar to mine with a list price of around £24,000. Given that list price a "discount" of £1,450 would equate to a 6% discount which is potentially is possible given the margin available. However I would be very surprised - as I've said a few times - if a VW dealer is giving that kind of discount on the GTI.

As ever if anyone wants to prove they got a substantial discount off a UK VW dealer I'll be happy to button it....

ZZZ.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Happy to oblige you....

How's that libel action case against me coming on...??? sekret.gif

LeMan

10% margin is actually well above the "average" these days. Most quality European car brands give their franchises an average between 6% and 8% as their front end margin. On top of that they get additional margin for hitting quarterly targets - front page margin - both in sales/service and customer satisfaction.

[ QUOTE ]

My VW dealer told me (in confidence) that they have a 5% margin on the GTI. Is this likely to be correct? Do different dealers have different margins?

[/ QUOTE ]

good to see that you are sharing what you've been told "in confidence" on a public forum jump.gif Sorry couldn't resist that, only joking Chap 169144-ok.gif

5% is too low, they are getting a scale between 6% and 8% front end margin on the mk5 GTI...hence my doubts on some of the quotes by other posters who claim they have got more discount than there is margin on the GTI in question.... ha.gif

Gareth, you should really turn your webcam off mate.

gareth_computer_640.jpg

-Sorry, couldn't resist that 169144-ok.gif

Phew, thanks for that tip....now where's that on/off button..?!? lol.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Happy to oblige you....

How's that libel action case against me coming on...??? sekret.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I only implied that your previous statement could be construed as libellous, not that I would commence proceedings; a subtle but slight difference! znaika.gif