CHAVMOBILE Spotting...

Lagoo

Looks a very similar kit to one I posted a few years ago in red, and while it was almost identical in having tiny wheels in massive arches, it was a well fitted kit.

Still see it around but it's not been looked after, it now sports patches of un painted filler over poorly repaired accident damage, loads of scrapes and dents etc.

In response to a post by Twinspark that appears to have disappeared-

I've always thought the 2 door Accent would make an amusing Impreza lookalike for Scumball events or similar!

I looked back a page and realised I'd posted it about 18 months ago... so deleted it.

You want a Proton Coupe for that kind of thing, though.

I looked back a page and realised I'd posted it about 18 months ago... so deleted it.

You want a Proton Coupe for that kind of thing, though.

Yeah that would also work, you could really confuse people by making it look like an Impreza, then showing them the Mitsubishi Evo* engine under the bonnet.

*yes it's tenuous, but technically it's the same engine family.

So, if you're 17/18 years old, want a car, what engine size are you supposed to have? bearing in mind the cost of insurance for young drivers these days?

I know we like to take the piss, but we're old enough to be able to afford to buy and insure half decent cars, so we don't have to buy things with tiny engines and spend our wages on making them look nicer*.

*nicer being relative of course, I'm sure a body kitted pug is pretty cool to a teenager.

Thing is - they're probably not declaring the modifications - or their insurance would be just as high, if not higher, than it would be if it had a half decent engine.

Actually that's often not the case.

The car isn't any faster, it's potentially more desirable (depending on your point of view) but a lot of insurers feel that someone who is prepared to spend money on their car, is more likely to look after it, both mechanically and in the way they drive, so yes, they'll put the price of the policy up, but not by as much you'd think, and certainly not as much as if they bought the GTi version in the first place.

It's a bit of a generalisation to suggest the mods aren't declared either, we have no way of ever knowing, and if they aren't, the only person who'll lose out is the under insured driver, the compulsory third party cover means you are protected either way as another road user.

So, if you're 17/18 years old, want a car, what engine size are you supposed to have? bearing in mind the cost of insurance for young drivers these days?

Something like a Mk1 Golf cab, on classic insurance +++

This would be in my list if I was 18 again...TBH it is now+++

the only person who'll lose out is the under insured driver, the compulsory third party cover means you are protected either way as another road user.

And the underinsured driver can lose out significantly. I've heard from one insurer who was faced with a major claim both in terms of the damage to the insured car, damage to a third party car, injuries to the third party driver, and damage to the Armco owned by a certain German company. Unfortunately, the policy specifically excluded the German Armco-clad toll road in question... so the driver was in breach of the policy terms just as if he had made an undeclared modification. The result was that they declined to pay out on the insured car, settled the other claims, and then sued the driver to recover the claims they had paid out.

(I don't know what the result of the litigation was)

• 2 months later...
  • bison unpinned this topic