To Works, or not to Works?

Jape

I've just ordered a Cooper S for May delivery (someone's cancelled order - hooray!) and I'm trying to decide whether to go for the JCW option before I take delivery....

At 4 grand (ouch) it does seem like a lot of money for a modest increase in power. Has anyone experienced the JCW kit on the 2005 model Cooper S? My dealer is getting an 05 car with the JCW kit in, but not until after I've taken delivery. Doh!

I'm tempted to wait and see how I get on with the standard car before taking the plunge, and the price stays the same whether I get the kit before or after delivery....

Decisions, decisions :-)

At least it marks my return to driving sporty cars (and Tyresmoke) after my time in the wilderness of diesel Clios and the v v v slow diesel Discovery (although the Mini load space may be less than I've become accustomed to!)

I can't wait - the test drive had me grinning insanely for hours!

You may be comforted to know that the wheel base of the BMW mini is the same as a landrover blush.gif

Good choice in cars the, the new mini is ace, and a cooper S is bound to having you many happy miles of motoring.

Personally, although the works is BMW approved, I'd look at alternatives too, a friend of mine got a BMW Mini One and just took it to AMD, has saved a couple of grand in getting it done up, over the cost of BMW and thus far has no need for warranty work etc due to the original quality of the car.

Worth bearing in mind, I believe Top Gear also said the same.

Hmmm.. I think I'll go down the AMD route after I've had the car a while and got to know it! The AMD prices certainly look better then the BMW ones....

[ QUOTE ]

You may be comforted to know that the wheel base of the BMW mini is the same as a landrover

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not know that! I'm going to find a Mini to park on top of tomorrow to check you are right ;-)

I have not managed to get a shot in a tuned S yet - but spoke to another dealer yesterday - they have a JCW S coming in early next month, so I've booked a drive in that =)

You're right about the standard S being fun! I'm getting more tempted to just take it as is for a wee while, and then upgrade if I feel the need.

I can't wait for delivery...... Spent a good hour today watching the video on the Mini website about the manufacturing process. Sad, sad person that I am ;-)

[ QUOTE ]

I have not managed to get a shot in a tuned S yet - but spoke to another dealer yesterday - they have a JCW S coming in early next month, so I've booked a drive in that =)

You're right about the standard S being fun! I'm getting more tempted to just take it as is for a wee while, and then upgrade if I feel the need.

I can't wait for delivery...... Spent a good hour today watching the video on the Mini website about the manufacturing process. Sad, sad person that I am ;-)

[/ QUOTE ]

I've driven a few, they are superb, supercharger whine is much more audible, great sound from the exhausts, downside it you cane it everywhere, I challenge anyone to stick to the speed limts in a works. Bloody thirsty too!

[ QUOTE ]

Stop messing around Jape, and get the works kit on order. We all know you'll regret it if you dont. <random smiley>

[/ QUOTE ]

Sigh....I know you're right. Sold to the man with the empty wallet :-)

Why is it we on Tyresmoke are never happy with a standard car? I guess speed and power (and spending)are addictive ;-)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...