1 March 05.....who's got one and what d'ya think?

Sheds

well i've not for sure, have had to have a freebie Corsa from the stealer until the GTi finally turns up in a promised, "few weeks", but i'm sure lots of you lucky peeps took delivery today? what are the initial views of the masses? too busy stroking the bonnet to sit in front of your PC? smirk.gifsmirk.gif haven't seen a single one on the road at all yet.

Well after 4 days of driving everywhere what can I say. The car feels fantastic. The pull in gear is the best thing I would shout about, it goes like a train in any gear and to worrying speeds without you knowing. The seats are just right for the support and not too bad over long drives. The mpg is not bad either as i am getting 33mpg but I am running it in a little. The exhaust note is nice but could be a little louder and the ride is better on the 18'' than my BMW 18''but they were 35 profile. The only down side is the stereo, it is nothing short of shocking and is a big failure on VW's part. How can a car like this have such a bad stereo, I have not got the sound pack just the 6 disc changer in the armrest but you would be better of investing the money on aftermarket stuff. I am going to wait to see what others start to do to improve the sound as I think someone has tried a amp and it does work but only at low volume. Overall I think I have made the right move from my BMW 330D, I love the sporty feel of this car and the looks as it is not too OTT. When you get yours make sure the bottle opener is in it as my dealer seems to of left it out durring the PDI (Yeh right) so they have ordered me a new one. It's great and worth the wait!!!

Nick

Hi there, i'm glad somebody is a new proud owner, although got this feeling that during the Summer there shall be a convoy of GTi's hitting our roads, incuding mine of course. I take note of your comments about the stereo and totally agree. I currently have a Mk IV GTi and the stereo/speakers are just awful. Hence, when i take delivery of my new GTi in July/August, i have already ordered a Speaker Upgrade that the VW Garage is arranging privately, for c.£250.00. I feel it is worth it, because when you spend that much on a new sporty motor, you got to have the right sound....

I would love to hear other peoples' views on the new Mk V's speakers??

[ QUOTE ]

Hi there, i'm glad somebody is a new proud owner, although got this feeling that during the Summer there shall be a convoy of GTi's hitting our roads, incuding mine of course

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine too, so that's two in South Yorkshire at least 169144-ok.gif

Mine is coming early July jump.gif

May i ask where you are getting yours from? I was going to get one from my local dealer in Doncaster, but they were offering no discounts at all. I got mine through Carfile, well, Reg Vardy in Leicester, got about £1100.00 off. Mine is standard Red, only having the Winter Pack Option, although i doubt there shall be any use for that during the Summer, lol. Was going to go for Xenon lights, but way too expensive..

[quote Hence, when i take delivery of my new GTi in July/August, i have already ordered a Speaker Upgrade that the VW Garage is arranging privately, for c.£250.00. I feel it is worth it, because when you spend that much on a new sporty motor, you got to have the right sound....

I would love to hear other peoples' views on the new Mk V's speakers??

[/ QUOTE ]

Does that figure cover all 10 speakers, or just the front ones?

[ QUOTE ]

Oops, nearly forgot, and probably a daft question, but what do you mean by the 'bottle opener'?

[/ QUOTE ]

My test drive car had a metal bottle opener fitted between the front cup holders - presumably a standard item, and for soft drinks only grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

May i ask where you are getting yours from? I was going to get one from my local dealer in Doncaster, but they were offering no discounts at all. I got mine through Carfile, well, Reg Vardy in Leicester, got about £1100.00 off. Mine is standard Red, only having the Winter Pack Option, although i doubt there shall be any use for that during the Summer, lol. Was going to go for Xenon lights, but way too expensive..

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a company car and was sourced through Neva Consultants. Don't know which dealer they're getting it from but had pre-ordered a few each month. The VW dealers in Doncaster and Barnsley are useless fekr.gifs

The bottle opener is there if you get the centre arm rest option. It fits in the cubby hole next to the gear knob. You are supposed to get it but it seems the people doing the PDI's or just the sales people have taken a shine to them and forget to put them back!!.

Well,I've had mine now for 6 weeks and in the immortal words of McDonalds (or JT if you prefer) I'm loving it.

For those who are interested its Tornedo Red, 5 door, manual, interlagos interior, CD autochanger and centre armrest.

Disappointed with the stereo (I mean, its not the 80's!) and there is a slight whilstling noise from the drivers door. Got my bottle opener though! (Read a funny comment in paper this week when they asked VWUK why there was one and they said "we'd been wondering that too"!).

The lurve points are - exhaust sound (better out that in?); the amazing attention the car gets (real thrill!) racing chavs in their corsa's!

Overall, really pleased with the car, it can only get better as they build more and the R32/34/36 (whatever it will be) should be sweet!

Glad you like it, mine is due sometime this Summer. Like yours, mine is Red, 5-door, minus the Arm-Rest, have it on my current Mk IV and seldo use it, so opted for the Winter Pack + Speaker Upgrade instead. I agree with others, the Standard Speakers are rubbish, so aftersales job it is. One question please: in traffic, when stationary, does the car judder a bit? My GTi Mk IV does that and gets on me t*ts!!

Like your bit about the Chavs in their Corsas. I'm sick also of being overtaken by most cars on the road....ROLL ON MK V..