Number plate twat - you sad sad person!

Colin M

Spotted yesterday in Sainsburys car park, Chertsey. A people wagon/small van with what should have been M11 MMX but badly mucked up with yellow and black screws and serious mis-spaced to spell MUMMY. In fact I had to stare at the plate for a few moments to work out what the original number should have been.

You sad sad person. Why aren't the police onto idiots like this? Almost every day I see some wannabe with their plate in an odd typeface or the usual distortion of spacing trying desperately to make their £250 plate look something special.

A few months back I spotted a large equestrian vehicle, a sort of stable cum Winnebago about 40 feet long with a bottle of Pimms in the cupholder etc. They had dropped the spacing and stuck a couple of yellow screws in the wrong place, their plate PON 18S stuck out a mile as PONIES. Even those that look like they could afford a "proper" plate resort to cheap tricks like these and clearly consider themselves above the law.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also spotted yesterday at a certain 'tuning house' - on a 911 GT3... XXX 91Y, except the 'Y' had been made upright with the right fork of the 'Y' shortened by a third.

Really, if your gonna buy a GT3 at least have the balls to buy a correct 911 plate !

I share Colins amazement at wannabees bastardising their plates to look something which they obviously are not, still it keeps them happy.

confused.gif

i must admit it is amazing what people do to there plates, yes i do have a private plate £200 quid and its 7OMK... but i dont muck about with silly letters or anything to make the 7 in to the T, i know what it means , and it was a prezzy and people who know me knows what it means to, how people get away with turning Y's in to 11's A's in to 4's etc i just dont know! i think it should be part of the MOT or something...

Ok, while i agree that it is annoying when chavs do this to their reg's, i think it's a little strong to call the person a sad twat in this instance.

That reg could have been bought by a child (by Daddy on behalf of the child obviously!) and how much of a smile would that bring to the child's face every time he got picked up by his mummy in her car.

When it comes to my son, i'm sure i can be accused of being a sad twat over lots of things - it just comes with the terratory!

It doesn't excuse the fact that this is illegal, and i'm sorry if i'm coming across as being pedantic but i read this while trying to work out what to get for my other half for mother's day!!

Plates made into something they're not (like Colins example) always strike me as a bit "fake Rolex", a bit wannabe.

It looks like they wanted a proper distnctive plate but couldn't afford it so doctored a plate to give the same effect. Probably not the look they were going for! grin.gif

The thing that really pisses me off is when I see the DVLA charging a premium for plates that are only of interest if doctored.

Many years ago I looked at getting N1CK F (the F being the first letter of my surname). Now this would have been N1 CKF and I'd have had to mis space the plate to get it to read what I wanted (I didn't know any better in those days! grin.gif)

At that time all the N1 *** plates were selling for (I think) about £1,000.

For N1 CKF? £3,000.

But the only value is if displayed illegally. SO the DVLA bump up prices of plates that are only really valuable if used illegally....

Bit naughty that. crazy.gif

Not got a problem with dodgy spacing as it's still the same reg. If you read it left to right its still the same.

Chopping bits off letters and using screws is bang out of order as it really is trying to discuise the plate.

To me this is no different (legally) to using fake/masked plates. You're trying to fool people into thing your reg is something it isn't.

Am shocked that so many apparently get away with it.

Yeh it's amazing what people will pay for something that isn't even right! DAV1D had obviously been bought for keeps by a bloke called DAVID and will not be sold for a long time. However the DVLA released the wannabe DAU1D which looks something like DAVID, but how much do you think was paid for that........

....... £31000!!! That is obscene!

A guy local to me has a very clever one. It looks like a standard plate, C13 something or other, personalised but nothing special. However when read backwards (in rear view mirror) it says his name perfectly, no daft screws or spacing! Very clever idea!

[ QUOTE ]

A guy local to me has a very clever one. It looks like a standard plate, C13 something or other, personalised but nothing special. However when read backwards (in rear view mirror) it says his name perfectly, no daft screws or spacing! Very clever idea!

[/ QUOTE ]

Like N3 WOB cool.gif

grin.gif The sadest example of number plate mis-spacing I've seen recently was some idiot in a Cav who'd spaced his number plate to make it look like the new style layout when it was obviously the old :

eg. R554TGF made to look lke RS 54 TGF - as if anyone's going to think its a 54 plate Vauxhall Cav ! Flush.gif

My plate is misspaced, but I haven't changed the font or used any dodgy screws or anything - just moved one letter fromthe right hand group to the left hand group.

Don't agree with people who try to make the plate look like different letters though - using screws, yellow bits of plastic, dodgy fonts etc. - at least mine is readable.

I saw C8NGO the other day. The owner had simply painted over the middle bar of the 8 so that it read CONGO. Highly illegal but I bet there is more chance of me being done for a parking ticket after overrunning by 30 seconds.

[ QUOTE ]

eg. R554TGF made to look lke RS 54 TGF - as if anyone's going to think its a 54 plate Vauxhall Cav !

[/ QUOTE ]

I`ve seen someone do that too. Curiously, I think that was on a Cav as well.

I did see a new Merc SL55 with the plate "CHR15 K" the other day. At least, I think that`s the combination he`d used, it was going pretty quick!

[ QUOTE ]

You sad sad person. Why aren't the police onto idiots like this? Almost every day I see some wannabe with their plate in an odd typeface or the usual distortion of spacing trying desperately to make their £250 plate look something special.

[/ QUOTE ]

yelrotflmao.gif. Relax, it don't hurt nobody, do it? grin.gif