New cheaper Z4

Ari

I see BMW are bringing out a 2.0 four cylinder version of the Z4, priced at a very sensible £22K.

I think that will be a nice car for the money, and removes the Z4 (with that engine at least) completely from being a competitor of the Boxter.

I remember when the Z4 came out BMW said it was not a direct replacement for the Z3, it was an upmarket and sportier car in the Boxster bracket, hence there would be no 4 cylinder version, just a 2.5 and 3.0

Since then they've brought out a cheaper 2.2 six cylinder version, and now this "bargain" priced 2.0 four cylinder version.

So the question is, did they do it to broaden the appeal of a successful car, or try try and shift some units cos its not selling?

Marketing aside, if you want a premium 2 seater open top sports car for circa £20K then, apart from the now aging Audi TT 150hp 2wd version, this has to be at the top of the list surely?

Bit more info here. Note price has now been announced in UK at £22,000

[ QUOTE ]

BMW is pleased to announce the arrival of the Z4 2.0i Roadster, a new entry-level model for the two-seater, open top sports car. Powered by a 150bhp engine, the new car is the first Z4 to be fitted with the lightweight four-cylinder powerplant built at Hams Hall in Warwickshire. The 1,995cc unit propels the Z4 from zero to 62mph in 8.2 seconds before going on to a top speed of 136mph. Torque is 200Nm at 3,600rpm.

Due on sale in the UK in May, the car's commendable performance is due in part to the use of VANOS and VALVETRONIC technology. VANOS decides when an engine's valves are opened while VALVETRONIC determines by how much they open. The net result is improved engine performance in terms of power, economy and responsiveness.

Standard equipment on the Z4 2.0i will include 16-inch alloy wheels, Dynamic Stability Control and Automatic Air-conditioning. An SE version will add a fully automatic roof, front foglights, heated door mirrors and windscreen washer jets, and on-board computer.

The introduction of the Z4 2.0i Roadster brings the number of engine options in the model range to four and the number of BMW models powered by UK-built four-cylinder petrol engines to three (1 Series, 3 Series and Z4). Three six-cylinder engines with capacities of 2.2-litres, 2.5-litres and 3.0-litres complete the Z4 range with the new model making its first public appearance at the Geneva Motor Show on 1 March. Prices will be announced at a later date.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.carpages.co.uk/bmw/bmw-z4-roadster-02-02-05.asp

bmw_new_z4_roadster_02_02_05.jpg

Yes, I spotted that in this months Performance BMW (which is ironic when you think about it).

I'd tend to agree though that this drops it firmly into the prime position for a "marque" produced 2-seater.

With 150bhp it isn't going to blow many cobwebs away but I hark back to 10 years ago and an MX-5 ownership experience.

It wasn't fast, but it was by far the best drivers car I have ever owned and if ever I think of "hazy days" then the MX-5 is usally in the memory somewhere.

A smart move by BMW, although I suspect it is because of a lack of sales on the Z4 as Ari has already said.

Agree the performance is not going to "kick you back into your seat", but equally 0-62mph in 8.2 secs and 136mph is useful performance.

I could actually be seriously tempted by one of these. It's usefully quicker than my Audi 1.8T sport cabrio (8.2 to 60 compares with my 9.4) if 4mph slower on top speed (academic), probably be a more "fun" drive, and its cheaper.

I'd have to know how noisy it was on a fast cruise (hate noisy cars on motorways and my Audi is very impressively well insulated and quiet at motorway speeds) and I'd have to sacrifice the back seats, but I'd certainly consider it I think.

My mate went from an A4 cab, and was going to buy a boxter, but after loads of days trying both that and the Z4 he went for the Z4, as a fun car that can also be used daily it is awesome.

Different league to the A4 cab Ari, but you loose obvious benifits.

I know this is difficult to draw comparisons with but I had a 3.0 Z4 for 2 or so hours when they first came out.

As a drivers car it was very good fun.

Performance isn't the first wish when buying one of these, you're right. Plus, if you're going to gain in that respect anyway then it makes it even more attractive.

I'm still not fully sold on the rounded shark nose, and I wish they'd gone back to the Highline edges rather than the Bangle flames, but it's still a very nice car.

The driving position was very nice as I recall, but the trim was rather spartan (could have been most BMW's I guess).

Let's not forget they're the fastest convertible in the world too....(the advertising campaign...the hood down time). Talking of which, I am sick and tired of the sun going back in because of the amount of time it takes for the hood on my M3 to drop. It's bloody ridiculous.

[ QUOTE ]

So the question is, did they do it to broaden the appeal of a successful car, or try try and shift some units cos its not selling?

[/ QUOTE ]

They did it to broaden the appeal as I heard the punters simply are not buying as many Z4s as BMW hoped. Not going to make as much profit for the company as selling a 3.0 Sport - but profit is still profit....

Ian C

Originally posted this in "General Cars", but thought I'd move it in here as more relevent to Z4 enthusiasts perhaps.

This would almost certainly be the model I'd be interested in if I did find myself going the Z4 route in the future.