Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MarkD

Golf MkIII glow plug problem

7 posts in this topic

Hi all. Im new here

Ive been looking for a forum like this for some time.

Anyway i have a 1995 Mk3 Golf and due to excessive starting problems the starter motor died (ive replaced it now). It died, i think because of faulty glow plugs.

Now i have replacements but ill be buggered if i can get the old ones out of the damn block. I snaped my ratchet on one of them.

Anyone got any tips on getting them out? Or is it just me that has this problem?

Thanx

Try with the engine hot! 169144-ok.gif

Welcome, also. Bit busy right now, catch you later.

Will do. That was my next thought.

Im gonna warm the baby right now and give it a go

The torque for the glowplugs is 12lb - ft, so if you have a torque wrench, you don't want to be putting much more than that on them, unless some smartarse wound them in too tight. If you break one, the head'll have to come off to remove and replace it!

Use some compressed air to blow dirt out as you remove them, then it stays clean on the threads and in the head. Use some copper based anti seize paste when you put the new ones in, and be very carefull you don't cross thread them!!!!!!! 169144-ok.gif

Regards.

Rusty.

A torque wrench mate...i had a hard enough job using a spanner in that confined space smile.gif

Anyway they are off now after i took the car for a blip down the motorway to warm it up.

Seams to be starting ok atm. The test will be in the morning though when its cold

Sweet as a nut mate. Started almost as soon as i turned the key. And the same 9 hours later when i left work.

Now to the brakes smile.gif