2.5tdi fuel consumption

manzer1977

I've recently bought a 1999 A6 Avant 2.5tdi Quattro with 91K on the clock. If has a full audi history and seems to have been well looked after. I'm a bit unsure about the fuel consumption tho, it seems to average about 27mpg at the most with sensible driving. I was under the impression that this car would return much better consumption than this. I could get more than this from my 2000 S3 chipped to 265 bhp. Something doesn't make sense. Does anyone have any ideas please?? I'd rather not go straight to the dealer, just paid for the S3 service, that's enough money to audi for a few months!!

cheers

That sounds pretty good to me, I had a 2.5tdi A4 Multitronic (which has better fuel figures than the manual) and that used to return about 32mpg on average.

The Quattro tiptronic I tried (multi was new and they didn't have a demo) was returning around 25mpg on the day I took it out.

I get 44.5 round town and 55+ on a run in my DSG S-Line A3, but that is alot lighter which makes all the difference.

Stick some Millers Diesel PLUS and also a tank of BP Ultimate Diesel. Give it a go and a good thrash for a few miles. Should remove the soot from it!

The Dies el + stuff, is the only one worth using - Redex is poo, so is all the other ones. Only available from certain outlets. you might need to ring around asking for it.

Also worth cleaning the MAF with alcohol and cotton swab (CAREFULLY, as if you break it, it'll be £180 from Audi)

Good luck.

I'm considering the 2.5 TDI as my next car. Is approx 30mpg the average? I have a 60-65 mile round trip each day, mostly motorway, but if thats the average mpg I think I'll look at petrol again!! As said above, my S3 used to do better than that!

Rich

You need to take one out and see what it is like with your style of driving before you decide.

A friend has got an average of nearly 40mpg from his 320d auto, where as I used to get between 29 and 34, and after going on a journey with him teh other week I now know why, a journey that takes me 45-55 mins took us 1hr15mins. I would rather loose some mpg enjoy my car and get there quickly.

• 2 months later...

Hmm, very interesting. I was thinking of replacing my Mercedes C250TD with an A6 2.5TDi, but if they only manage 30mpg I may as well save some money and get a higher spec petrol.

Mind you I struggle to get more than 30mpg with the Merc unless it's on long trips.

I am seriouisly beginning to think that I would be better off with a petrol or a 1.9TDi for economy but I think the 1.9Tdi in an A6 will feel unerpowered against what I am used to. Unless of course I go for an A4 instead, does the 130bhp TDi A4 feel lively enough and will that get 45+mpg?

The A4 will certainly be spritelier, and the 130bhp TDi is reported to be quite torque'y. 50mpg is what I hear its capable of on motorway cruising.

The "in-between" option is the 1.8T petrol which will get you upwards of 40 on long journeys.

All the 1.8T cars I have driven, including an A6 and an A4 S-Line have got between 25 and 33mpg, you could maybe get 40mpg cruising at 55mph, but who wants to do that?

I still fancy a 2.7T allroad, goes like stink, the one I used had been remapped and was awesome, but, and it is a big but, when I took it back at 6pm it was showing 12mpg on the DIS!

Agreed on the 2.7T but if I spanked my 2.5TDi on short journeys I can get it down to under 20mpg on the DIS. Booting it I can drop the DIS down to single figures. EEK2.GIF

Agreed on the 1.8T if the OP wants 50mpg then a 1.9TDi is the only way to go. Personaly I haven't owned one but I've heard the 130bhp model isn't short of grunt.

[ QUOTE ]

Agreed on the 1.8T if the OP wants 50mpg then a 1.9TDi is the only way to go. Personaly I haven't owned one but I've heard the 130bhp model isn't short of grunt.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 130BHP is not short of grunt, but it is loud on noise. Not sound, but noise. The 2.5TDi produces a sooo much smoother amd refined sound. So much so, that I will wind my window down to hear it!

• 2 weeks later...

[ QUOTE ]

if I spanked my 2.5TDi on short journeys I can get it down to under 20mpg on the DIS. Booting it I can drop the DIS down to single figures.

[/ QUOTE ] same here smile.gif and just as you get on the motorway if you keep your foot down coming down the slip road smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

The 2.5TDi produces a sooo much smoother amd refined sound. So much so, that I will wind my window down to hear it!

[/ QUOTE ] Ditto, i used to have a 1.9TDI and although the fuel eco. was good it was a bit noisy, where as the A6 with a 2.5 V6 TDI seems to be alot smoother and sounds nicer too, mines the 163, i had 4 adults and a boot full and i mean full of stuff when we went down to newquay the other week and the car still went nicely, almost felt like it was pulling like it does with just me in the car 169144-ok.gif