Buying a mark 4 gti turbo

Dirtbag1981

Just about to buy a golf gti turbo, the engine says 20v turbo and the vehicle spec says 1.8 gti turbo

But it has a GTI badge on the back (GTI all silver)

I thought that a 1.8 gti turbo is a redeye version

Is this car im looking at a redeye version 150bhp or is there a different underpowered 1.8 turbo version. HELP ME PLLLLLLZ

I think that all 1.8 Turbos came into the UK with silver GTI badges as that is what they have in Europe so it looks like the original dealer has not changed it to the red I. The reason was that in europe the none turbo GTI was badged as a 2.0 and the turbo as GTI, but in the UK the VW bods thought they would sell more 2.0 with a GTI badge on it so they lauched 2 versions. This is why the GTI got such bad press because it was only a NA 2.0, where as there was a turbo GTI which they put a red I on to show a difference between the 2 but some lazy/tight dealers didn't do it. If your car has the 20v turbo engine it should have the red I and if it is from a VW dealer get them to change it if that is what you want. I may be wrong but that is my understanding.

Cheers Nick

[ QUOTE ]

My better half's petrol GTI came with a red "I". I think for the last year of MKIV production all the cars came with this but I'm not sure. The earlier cars seem to have the silver "I".

[/ QUOTE ]

To confuse you even more, all the early GTi's I saw had red 'i's, mine was the 'new' 2001 model and had a silver 'i'

as i said, it was down to preference at the time of ordering. Nothing more, nothing less 169144-ok.gif