Mk 5 GTI exhaust

Gareth

Two questions to fellow owners...

1. Are the exhaust silencer pipes pretty mucky and discoloured now?

2. Does your GTI chuck rubbish out the back under hard acceleration??

Reason is that I had a little run out with a friend in his CSL yesterday (and yes he was impressed with the performance and traction of the GTI 169144-ok.gif) and he said the exhaust was chucking rubbish out whenever I booted the GTI... Flush.gif

Aside from just getting the Milltek I'm thinking of anyway...any thoughts??

Gareth Mine seems ok, but have only just cracked the 1k mark. I have yet to check the oil level to see if any has burnt off durring running in. Also what fuel are you using as the FSI may have something to do with it, I am not technical but I have only put optimax in while running it in but will mix it as optimax up near me is 89p !!

Optimax is the best fuel as it is 98RON. Most "premium" fuels (if not all others) are 97 (Esso, BP Ultimate etc). My understanding is that a 97 won't have long term effects as the engine will adapt to it, but you perhaps won't see the engine being quite as economic nor will you get full performance. Thats what I've been told anyway.

Interesting about the oil. I'm on 2.5k and also have used no oil, which is not what I was expecting. I'd heard that FSI engines use loads of the stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

Dealer finally came back to me and just said it just needs a good clean...great, no poo sherlock smashfreakB.gif

Will have a go at the weekend with Autoglym metal polish and see if that works.

as for the exhaust chucking out rubbish he said the time honoured phrase.."they all do that..." Flush.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Dealer finally came back to me and just said it just needs a good clean...great, no poo sherlock smashfreakB.gif

Will have a go at the weekend with Autoglym metal polish and see if that works.

as for the exhaust chucking out rubbish he said the time honoured phrase.."they all do that..." Flush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

try Brasso or Brown sauce... both have acids that shift metal grime.

As has already been mentioned its AutoSol that you need.

My 2.0 FSI Sportback exhaust is the same. Have given it a good going over and even needed to used some mild sanding cloths. The same used un the sanding part of the pain process. They don't damage the exhaust chrome at all but do help to shift the dirt.

I haven't seen anything coming out of mine but have to say I haven't look to be honest. I think all cars can suffer from this at times, probably due to the higher sulphur content in UK fuels that there is abroad.

Will have a look though and let you know.

• 2 weeks later...