Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ben

Got a red one

58 posts in this topic

After much deliberating between Fabia Vrs, Golf Anni Tdi, Polo Tdi Sport, Golf Tdi 130 and Polo GTI, the Polo finally won due to the fact that it was less than half the cost of the others and certainly not half the car.

Bagged a one mature lady owner, 40k, always cared for by same main dealer, W plate 3dr in Flame Red.

Mrs really wanted a red one (sorry Ritey) and this one came up on ebay and I got it at the reserve. Owner is also delivering it from Cardiff grin.gif

Now trying to restrain myself from:

a) Persuading Milltek to do a pipe

b) Installing Nav+

c) Getting a leather re-trim in lovely silver nappa

d) Sorting the suspension

e) Improving the induction

169144-ok.gif

Cheers

Ben

b3_1_b.JPG

Suspension is a must, and as for the milltek go for it, I've been on the developement list for nearly a year now ROLLEY~14.GIF

Well done fella nice motor (ps if you know a bodyshop guy, get the front splitter colour coded 169144-ok.gif )

[ QUOTE ]

Suspension is a must, and as for the milltek go for it, I've been on the developement list for nearly a year now ROLLEY~14.GIF

Well done fella nice motor (ps if you know a bodyshop guy, get the front splitter colour coded 169144-ok.gif )

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers chap.

Looking forward to this as my first Mk1 Golf Gti was bright red and a hoot to drive grin.gif

As for getting the splitter painted, my family own a large body shop in Bristol so no probs there 169144-ok.gif

All the best

Ben

Ben has it been in for the recall pedal box work ?

Yep, last year at some point. I was glad the owner knew what I was talking about when I asked grin.gif

Just called VW also and glad to see all the services were carried out nearly to the day also!

Where's the CD changer located? Got a brand new Phatbox under my desk which is looking for a home 169144-ok.gif

Cheers

Ben

Should be back right of the boot 169144-ok.gif

If its had full VW service, you should be able to trace any warranty work too, worth finding out too see what bits are new etc

Ta mate.

Will have a look when it lands on Friday. Looking forward to this grin.gif

Do they have any kind of traction control/esp etc?

Wheelspin central then. Not managed that for a while with 4WD grin.gif

Actually I lie. The RS does great 4 wheel wheelspins in the wet 169144-ok.gif

What are the brakes like on the Polo? You can see I've not driven before buying can't you! The bleeders are too far between to find one to try first!

Coming from a 4wd you'll think they are crap tbh. But you'll get used to them. You'll also find the steering wheel to be tiny and steering slightly not responsive IMO. But behind the wheel for ten minutes and you'll get used to it. The body roll will be annoying, hence the get the suspension sorted. Once your used to it, you'll love it. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

How do I reset the Oil Service Indicator on my wife's 1998 Polo?

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh? Where did that one come from mate? grin.gif

Tuesday.

Get the dealer to reset it.... smashfreakB.gif

Oh well done for crashing this post.... bowdown.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Ta mate.

Do they have any kind of traction control/esp etc?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it does its called EDL, Electronic Differential Lock. You'll know when its activated as the front end starts chattering and the tyres start scrabbling for grip, also the dash cluster has an EDL light. 169144-ok.gif

I've had the chattering, but no EDL light on the dash frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Well done and welcome...

Leave the splitter black... 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, leave the splitter BLACK, trust us! grin.gif

If you can get Milltek to do a pipe for the GTi, I'd be interested, so thats three of us tongue.gif

Oh btw I don't have EDL either confused.gif

Cheers

EDL is mentioned as being std in your brochure scan Ritey, what year is the brochure dated?

Cheers

Ben

You should have EDL, it stops the wheels spinning when the traction becomes poor. It noticible (spell!!!) when you get a chattering from the front wheels, the noise is pretty much like the ABS coming into play.

The dash cluster (tacho side) will also have an EDL light it looks like the ABS sensor light also in yellow but has EDL written across it , this will only light up if the EDL is faulty.

[ QUOTE ]

EDL is mentioned as being std in your brochure scan Ritey, what year is the brochure dated?

Cheers

Ben

[/ QUOTE ]

2001 mad.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Cheers

Ben

[/ QUOTE ]

2001 mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps all MY2001 model have EDL and 2000 models don't.

I'll let you know Friday.

Mrs doesn't want Phatbox in the car, can't understand it apparently. So if anyone wants a brand new boxed, unused 20GB VW Phatbox, drop me a PM or something.

Cheers

Ben

So basically I need to go out and see if EDL kicks in cool.gif

Yes you do.....you'll know when as the wheels will grip and off you go. 169144-ok.gif