Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ben

Got a red one

58 posts in this topic

No EDL to speak of boys wink.gif

Not that I've been hooning it anywhere grin.gif Dropped the seller down to the station a minute ago and had a blat back along the lanes.

Brought a proper smile to my face, turn in is much better than the RS4 and it is so chuckable even on the std suspension.

I reckon it needs a good thrashing as it doesn't rev that freely, probably still a bot tight from having a mature owner (unless they are all like that).

Brakes are a bit spongy also, but stop none the less.

Now to the best bit - apart from a liberal dose of stone chips on the bonnet (all fresh so proably got done by a gritter I'd say), the car has 3 miniscule parking dings on it. They are tiny. None of the wheels have been curbed, and only one of them has corrosion. The interior is spotless, you'd never guess it was nearly 5 years old smile.gif

It's been Diamondbrited from new, but I'll get me Swissol out in the spring and give it the once over 169144-ok.gif

A few trim rattles, the tray below the radio being the cause of the worse. Cool dials, and bit of piano trim on the instrument cowling.

Also noticed that some of the cars I've seen advertised had red door cards, this one has black only (which I prefer).

Service time soon so what should I expect for an anual 40k?

Only had it 40 minutes and so much to say already smlove2.gif

Cheers

Ben

You have black door cards? Got any pics? I thought all of us had red inserts!

I find my brakes a little spongy sometimes too, I'm looking into getting some EBC Greenstuff pads fitted but spent my hard-earned on some new rear tyres this afternoon so there goes the budget again! Still I get two nice new Toyos fitted next week grin.gif

I'm sure Ritey will help you out with an estimate for the 40k service cost - mine had 52k on the clock when I picked it up so I don't know how much it is! blush.gif

Glad you like it!!

Cheers

I'll get the camera out when I get home. Perhaps red cars have black trim.

Which Toyos did you get? I've got the T1R's on the RS4, 255/35/18, quite like them at the moment. The Polo won't last long on it's rubber, pretty worn.

Cheers

Ben

I went for T1S in the end, 195/45/15 natch, a touch over £60 each inc. fitting/balancing/new valves. I was also offered Goodyear Eagle F1s (£15 more expensive per tyre), Avon ZZ3s (about the same price as Toyos) or UniRoyal RainSports (£54 per tyre). I believe I made the right choice... I've heard good things about the Toyos on here and on Uk-Polos.net - good tyre, softer than most, good grip and tread pattern.

I forgot to ask about T1Rs! slap.gif

£60 each? Bargain. It's got Avons up front and Pilot Sports on the rear, probably the originals at the rear.

Left camera dock at work fot the pics - arse.

Next week it is then.

Cheers

Ben

Polo's should have red cards with the same type trim as the dash on the cappings (top of the trim) ie pipply (bloody horrible IMO... SAUER0421.GIF

Now if the car was specified with leather, then the door card will be black and covered with leather (but most probably knowing VW in Vinyl!!!)

Pic attached of my wifes car which has leather trim. 169144-ok.gif

post-2976-137914301159_thumb.jpg

post-2976-137914301163_thumb.jpg

Interesting, wonder if that's out of a standard 6n2 ??

It's got the textured material on the top, and the fabric matches exactly. I can't find any pics of another red one with cloth trim to compare to though.

[ QUOTE ]

Service time soon so what should I expect for an anual 40k?

Ben

[/ QUOTE ]

Right just looked at my paperwork and my 40k service was done when I bought it (part of the deal) and they haven't listed the cost. Its the big lowish mileage one though, my 50k mileage was 165.52 and that was oil and plugs as I have a K&N filter.

I reckon aslong as its a standard 40k budget for around £200 - £250 as the cambelt is done

I'll do a bit of calling around to get some comparative quotes.

Problem is, I HATE my local dealers.

Another quicky, does anyones throttle pedal able to be pulled back towards you and stays there? Eg, if you put your foot under it and pull back, my one moves back a couple of inches and stays there until I next press it back down. I keep coming off the brake to find my foot is actually underneath the throttle pedal - which is not exactly ideal.

Perhaps something from the pedal box recall?

Cheers all

Ben

My gas pedal can be raised a couple of inches too - never bothers me when driving mind you, I only noticed when I fitted my alloy pedals. Its quite normal 169144-ok.gif

How are you managing to lift the pedal up when driving? confused.gif

I lift it sometimes when I move from brake to gas. I actually think the throttle is slighty sticking until I pull it up with my feet.

One for the dealers.

Also, have I read somewhere that wheel bearings go? Which side is it likely to be on the front?

Cheers as ever lads, and got some pics to post grin.gif

Ben

My pedal moves too, and others I've been in, that's standard on the Ibiza as well, pedal box recall didn't alter it at all. Something that is just going to have to get used to I'm afraid. As for wheel bearings, touch wood haven't needed a new one since I've owned the car. Where did you hear that info from ?

Not sure - thought it was from here when I was doing some research. I reckon one is knackered as the car is a bit on the noisy side. No drama really, just hard to tell which side.

So yours has gone mate?

Cheers

Ben

Still in the process of. Got a fault to sort first

[ QUOTE ]

Still in the process of. Got a fault to sort first

[/ QUOTE ]

Good luck chap, nothing serious I trust.

Another note: - cheap petrol makes the car pink. A tank of Ultimate/Optimax has sorted this grin.gif

I hope its not, but then again this is VW so probably something complex. Sometimes it doesn't want to start, turns over fine but just won't play ball. Leave it for a random amount of time and then again sometimes it will be fine, or you'll have to leave it longer. Rumours have it, it could be ignition switch / barrel, immobiliser or even fuel problems frown.gif

If it was the barrel then surely it wouldn't turn over. If it was immobiliser then it may not fire but turn over.

If it was fueling then it would probably fire a couple of times then die.

Replace the least expensive part first 169144-ok.gif

Cheers

Ben

Well, here's the little beast grin.gif

poloside.sized.jpg

Dsc01591.jpg

And next to big bro.

RSandPolo.sized.jpg

Cheers

Ben

[ QUOTE ]

I hope its not, but then again this is VW so probably something complex. Sometimes it doesn't want to start, turns over fine but just won't play ball. Leave it for a random amount of time and then again sometimes it will be fine, or you'll have to leave it longer. Rumours have it, it could be ignition switch / barrel, immobiliser or even fuel problems frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Bloody Hell,

Dave, my wifes does exactly the same.....but since the earth lead has been reconnected it hasn't done it, now it has also had the the throttle body cleaned and the dealers thought this might be the cause the problem, but since both have been sorted, we've had no further problems...touch wood. 169144-ok.gif

Wayne, how long has the car not been playing up since the dealer made the changes ?

Dave,

I'll check the service receipts tomorrow evening before I come to work. But since its been done, its been fine.

VW charge for cleaning the the throttle body housing, even though they know it causes problems with the cars "well being"......cheeky sods SPericani2.gif