Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mixit

GTi DSG and those "Paddles"

16 posts in this topic

Hi All.

Test drove a DSG GTi this morning, without the paddle shift. Has anyone actually driven a "Paddled up" Golf yet?

The dealer seamed to know very little about the position of the paddles or if they turned with the wheel or not. He even commented that they may end up as "Buttons" on the wheel ???? I find this very strange as there is already a paddle shift system in the VAG group, TT anyone?

As for the DSG experience... smile.gif, very impresssed. Will write more later when I have a bit more time. I'll just add that I am keen to order my car, but need to know about these damn paddles. Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated. Also ( flame suit on ) what do you guys think of Candy White on a GTi. Salesman thought I was nuts! Heavy loss on residual etc, etc.

Cheers .. Mixit laugh.gif

yep.. my paddles are attached to the wheel and so move when turning..

I can't imagine or see why they would change it!

Your salesman is an uninformed prat. Not at all like the salesmaen I've dealt with ha ha.

See the other thread lower down, they are attached to the wheel and turn with it

Candy White - brave choice but go for it. The car really does look good in white. Its not to everyones choice so it may affect the residual value. I reckon that white's going to come back led by the GTI.

Hi

I've ordered a DSG with the paddles. Do you use the paddles a lot, or do you tend to just stick it in drive? I suspect I might use the sport mode quite a lot. How are you finding the DSG in general, and what's the sport mode like.

Thanks for the info folks, very helpful. Tony, you need to read my post mate, I don't have one yet, just test drove. smile.gif

Tony

Girlfriend has DSG on her A3, have to admit it was bit like anew video game at christmas when I first drove it. Used the paddles quite a bit but then just started to use it in automatic and blipped the paddle for a downshift if you want to boot the thing.

Go for the white with 18''s if you do it. I don't think it will effect the re sale value he is just talking CR@P.

[ QUOTE ]

he is just talking CR@P

[/ QUOTE ]

to be fair he did say...

[ QUOTE ]

I reckon that white's going to come back led by the GTI.

[/ QUOTE ]

Therefore it would appear to be a balanced opinion. Yours seems erm...harsh?

I can't seem to get a test drive in a DSG. What are the thoughts of those who have tried/owned a motor with it? Is it worth the extra cash?

Have a search through the Audi forums as this has been discussed to the point of suicide when the A3 came out. At least on there you'll find people who have ownership experience rather than notional or test drive experience.

On the whole on the A3 at least the S mode is just manic, really hunts up and down the box all the time far to agressive for day to day driving. D is all you need and it will hold onto gears no problem, it seems to learn as well, if you start racing around a lot it adapts and alters change points as a result.

I use the paddle very rarely really, standard on DSG equipped Audis they are nice to play with on a major back road blast and the occasional quick change down but thats about it.

Relax and let the gears do the work in town is a dream, and paddles for the back road blasts. Don't know how much they are on the Golf but if they are a lot I would question that a quick move of the gearstick is enough and buy a wheel and playstation with the savings. pengy.gif

tribs.. I had to travel over 100 miles to get a test drive in a DSG. There seems to be very few demonstrators out there. I was so impressed I will be placing an order in a few weeks. I just need to get the best px deal on my 6 month old 2.0 TDi. Any offers anyone?

I've ordered the DSG with paddles. I have to say I haven't driven a DSG and have to rely on reviews; but note the below Evo Magazine road test. It's generally a thumbs up but says the sport mode is almost too responsive. I get the impression that if you sneeze you'll be kissing the rear of the car in front before you finish the full "achoo".

web page

BeakerBuddy, I was not being harsh with GTI Boi's comments but with the original post at the top which are :

Also ( flame suit on ) what do you guys think of Candy White on a GTi. Salesman thought I was nuts! Heavy loss on residual etc, etc.

So GTI Boi this was not directed at your comment's and I totally agree with you that the white could and by how it looks on a GTI should be on the way back.

[ QUOTE ]

I've ordered the DSG with paddles. I have to say I haven't driven a DSG and have to rely on reviews; but note the below Evo Magazine road test. It's generally a thumbs up but says the sport mode is almost too responsive. I get the impression that if you sneeze you'll be kissing the rear of the car in front before you finish the full "achoo".

web page

[/ QUOTE ]

I found the "Sport" mode agressive but great fun. The car holds onto every gear almost until the rev limiter. It realy works the engine hard and sounds fantastic. I think EVO got it about right saying it's "qualifying lap" teritory, even so it's a very impressive bit of software. All modes of the gearbox work very well and it was impossible to fool the gear pre-selection sequence by accelerating and then slowing gently or braking and then stamping on the loud pedal, it had the next gear and rev range just right every time. All in all a very satisfying driving experience. 169144-ok.gif

You won't be dissapointed when you get your car. Iv'e had an R32 and a couple of Impreza's and I have to say I thought the GTi was an absolute screamer by comparison. It just felt so very quick and sure footed for a FWD car. As I said further up the thread, just need a good px deal on my 6 month old 2.0 TDi and an order will be placed. I had fooled myself into thinking I could wean myself off super unleaded ! How wrong I was. crazy.gif mikxit