Sometimes VW can be utter rubbish

acarneiro

Sorry everyone, I just need to rant a bit.

Put my order in for a Diamond Black VW GTi 3Door DSG on the 2nd of November and left a deposit. The dealers said I'd have the car in February.

Come February, they said I'd have it in March.

Rang again in March, they claim I have a build date for the beginning of April. Presumably another 4 weeks wait from build date until I actually got it.

It's a great car and I was REALLY looking forward to buying it, but I think they've messed me about once too many.

Dare I say VW are being a victim of their own success? If they can't provide the cars then either don't sell them, don't advertise them or at the very least give accurate delivery estimates!

I've cancelled my order this morning.

Ho, hum...

I think I'm buying a new motorbike instead. A third of the price, twice the fun... and about 30 times more likely to chop me to little bits.... wink.gif

To be honest, I can't think of any car that would be a worthy substitute. But I feel that I have to drive a point across to VW. They've just lost 23 grand. Not that they care, but it kinda quenches my thirst for moral vindication.... smile.gif

Just out of interest, they aren't citing an issue with the supply of DSG equipped cars are they?

A friend's gf is waiting for a GTI with DSG (albeit on a business use lease) and there's been a delay with the DSG cars off that particular lease company.

Just a thought. confused.gif

They did claim trouble with the DSG last time I checked, but not the 3 months before.

That still doesn't excuse the complete lack of interest in letting me know what's going on. I'm OK with them delaying production until the product is as close to perfect as they can makie it. It's to be applauded, if anything.

It's delaying orders without the simple gesture of letting the custumers know and explaining what's going on that gets on my nerves. They have my email address. It couldn't have been difficult or expensive to send an explanation to all the people with delayed orders, surely...

[ QUOTE ]

They have my email address. It couldn't have been difficult or expensive to send an explanation to all the people with delayed orders, surely...

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree totally, but like you said, the dealers don't seem to care too much about customers in many cases.

Even more concerning is that - as said above - VW UK don't seem too bothered about the dealers being slack... smashfreakB.gif

I'm in the same boat. order on 4 Dec. still waiting. original date was 29 Jan, then I changed it to 1 March to get an 05 plate. Build date today (17 Mar) I was told, so hopefully a few weeks to wait. VW have not really been forthcoming with info and it's only when I've rung up myself that these delays become apparent. I vaguely recall seeing something on the website about them giving email progress reports, but it must be well hidden. Still they have given me a run around till it comes. the wait is torture as ive not had a decent ish motor since December!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I said it before, though noone took any notice, but the manufacture of RHD DSG cars for customers starts in April and was always planned to

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that makes it even worse!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

or a damn good reason to go for the superior manual gearbox rather than the £2k DSG option.... 123576-assfeck.gif

[ QUOTE ]

or a damn good reason to go for the superior manual gearbox rather than the £2k DSG option....

[/ QUOTE ]

Was just wondering why you claim the manual is superior?

The press are raving about how good DSG is and I have to say it sounds ideal for anyone having to crawl in commuter traffic getting a condition I refer to as "clutch knee". The big problem I have with the manual (and it was the same on the MkIV Golf) is there is too much travel between shifts (on the gear stick).

The main criticsm of the DSG is that it auto upshifts just below the red line. Personally I could live with that, although I wonder if there'd be a way of modding it so it doesn't.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

or a damn good reason to go for the superior manual gearbox rather than the £2k DSG option....

[/ QUOTE ]

Was just wondering why you claim the manual is superior?

The press are raving about how good DSG is and I have to say it sounds ideal for anyone having to crawl in commuter traffic getting a condition I refer to as "clutch knee". The big problem I have with the manual (and it was the same on the MkIV Golf) is there is too much travel between shifts (on the gear stick).

The main criticsm of the DSG is that it auto upshifts just below the red line. Personally I could live with that, although I wonder if there'd be a way of modding it so it doesn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Put simply I prefer to offer my opinion based on my own experiences as opposed to what the mags/journo's say.

Before buying my Mk 5 GTI I drove both the DSG and Manual car back to back and for me the DSG car was not nearly as fun and poorly suited to the GTI. I felt that the DSG system, whilst clever, got in the way of the driving experience and added nothing. Also it is no faster than the manual, despite what the mags and VW brochure claim

However if you do a lot of town, stop start driving the DSG is a good option but for me this car is about driving out of town and really enjoying what is a very good manual gearbox pengy.gif

Have you tried them yet??

Top speed is aero dynamic dependant not weight. Probably due to DSG transmition drag under the car as much as anything.

I have DSG on my Audi and I love it to bits for around town and out on the open road. There are a few occasions when DSG isn't as good as a manual, it can be a pain waiting for the clutch to slightly bite at traffic lights for instance.

But that and other small grips pale into insignificance when you are in a traffic jam on a motorway or you just want to have a relaxing drive in heavy rush hour traffic. I used to be foot flat to the floor my license is about to go driver. But those days are now few and far between, I am much more relaxed in the car and don't floor it half as much and in my book with roads the way they are thats a good thing in my book.

As for speed and 0-60 etc. If thats you main consern both with have major wheel spin in anything but perfect dry conditions, it can be a real pain with so much going through the front wheels. If thats your main want, get an A3 2.0 T FSI Quattro, cause in most conditions at traffic lights you really will be in its wake.

[ QUOTE ]

You have right,my friend,complaining about the delay of your car.But don't you think that it's worth it.Don't care about dealers,just about your car.

[/ QUOTE ]

I care about people trying to make a fool out of me. A car is only a car, after all...

I apologise myself, all the F1, rally and touring car teams must have fallen for it. A stick with a manual clutch is infact quicker.

You must have quicker hands than Billy the Kid. You can take your hand off the steering wheel, move it to the stick whilst disengaging the clutch, change gear, reengage the clutch and move your hand back to the steering wheel. Faster than someone to move their fingers 10cm and flip a paddle.

Why don't you go over to Sepanga this weekend and point out the error of his ways to Mr Schumacher. Perhaps that's why he didn't win the other week!!

Matt

Don't doubt the gearchange is quicker but the GTI with DSG is no quicker per se than the manual. So if the two are the same speed in everyday driving the so called "faster" gearbox becomes irrelevant IMO.

However if you need a quasi Auto for town driving it's a good option (but worth £1.8k though lol.gif)

Try it out 169144-ok.gif

The saving, although small, is the loss of acceleration when having to disengage then reengage the clutch. The DSG is quicker at this and has greater consistancy. The GTI has great acceleration in all gears though and this reduces the need to constantly change, something I hated on the Type R

Have to admit I spent a while deciding on whether to have DSG or manual. The speed thing wasn't an issue when it came down to it. More the fact that when going to work I have to queue up a hill for about 5 minutes, constantly on and off the clutch. Had to drive my girlfriends A3 (has DSG) to work one day and it made my mind up straight away. Having to pay £1.8k is a rip off and charging seperately for the paddles is taking the p!ss, but for my kind of driving needs money well spent.