Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DanAdams

I've bought a new mkV GTI, few questions please...

20 posts in this topic

Hi all. I took a test drive back of the mkV GTI back in the first week of March and places an order same day. I have a couple of questions please for people who may be a bit more acquainted with such things than I am:

- Given an order date of first week of March, is anyone able to estimate (even approximately) a build date? Closest my salesman gave me last time we spoke was April-June.

- Would the sales chap be able to give an exact build date by now if I rang him do you think? Do VW do give out exact build dates as standard?

- Do I have any choice in registration plate when I get the car or just get what I'm given? THis is the first time I've bought new but I'm sure I remember my brother poring over a list of plates that the dealership had been allocated and picking one for his Audi - is this possible?

Many thanks for any help with these.

The GTI by the way is a 5-door in white. Didn't really fancy any of the options at all, it seems incredibly well specced in standard form, but I went for a centre armrest and six disc changer to keep the girlfiend happy.

BTW, I'm also selling a '91 GTI 16v to part-finance this, new here so not sure if there's a dedicated for sale forum but give me a PM if anyone's interested in her.

Cheers chaps

Dan

Welcome to Tyresmoke.

We have a Dedicated google optimised classifieds Here

and we also have a general market place HERE , list it in both you might get some luck.

When ever I haev ordered a new car I have always been able to get a build week date, so your salesman should be able to get this, the problem you have is that he maybe a lazy SOB like many other VW staff, so he might want chasing.

A lot of dealers these days have a limited list, but it will not be a huge list like they used to get, all I did was ask for a 'Z' in mine!!! IF you wanted to spend an extra few £'s then you will find several VW** GTT type plates around.

Welcome to TSN Dan, Brave choice going for white, but feck me, without a doubt the purist's choice...nice one 169144-ok.gif169144-ok.gif169144-ok.gif

A White one you have got the colour of the moment good lad you will love it

Hi,

I ordered mine at the end of December and I picked it up yesterday (White 3-Dr DSG). The saleswoman was really knowledgeable and was saying that VW have confirmed some delays recently - I think it's associated with DSG supplies. Mind you, mine was due early April and actually arrived early MArch.

My impressions so far... Fabulous. I guess coming from a Civic Type-R, it's the peace and quiet that's the most noticeable. The DSG - brilliant so far.

I'll post some pics and a review next week after It's had a wash...

Reading the manual it seems to have a lot of features that aren't mentioned anywhere, nothing amazing, but nice nevertheless. I'll check them out in the next few days.

The ambient lighting is cool, if you signal to the car behind (cheers, sorry, up-yours, etc) they see a red hand - amused me anyway.

The auto dimming mirror is excellent, so much clearer than the normal types.

Cheers, Neil.

I'm glad someone is enjoying the undoubted pleasures of the GTi. My order was placed and confirmed on 14/02/05 with Reg Vardy in Leicester. I must say i got over a grand off, so i was really pleased. Just spoke again to them, and although very polite, they're saying that i am number 12 on the list which currently stands at 22. They are getting an allocation of about 2 a month, which if my maths is correct, i won't even get an allocation date for about 6 months, never mind a build date or even a delivery date. Is anyone else experiencing such huge delays? It's a 5dr manual with ONLY the Winter Pack as the Option, so it's not as if im ordering the whole lot. He insists this is a generic problem at the minute with the whole of the UK. Surely there's some way to place pressure on VW UK; meanwhile my £1000 deposit is accruing interest in THEIR bank account!!!!!!

Hi Neil,

Can you confirm/deny whether the DSG has the Launch Mode as with the Audi's ?

Cheers

Lee

[ QUOTE ]

I'm glad someone is enjoying the undoubted pleasures of the GTi. My order was placed and confirmed on 14/02/05 with Reg Vardy in Leicester. I must say i got over a grand off, so i was really pleased. Just spoke again to them, and although very polite, they're saying that i am number 12 on the list which currently stands at 22. They are getting an allocation of about 2 a month, which if my maths is correct, i won't even get an allocation date for about 6 months, never mind a build date or even a delivery date. Is anyone else experiencing such huge delays? It's a 5dr manual with ONLY the Winter Pack as the Option, so it's not as if im ordering the whole lot. He insists this is a generic problem at the minute with the whole of the UK. Surely there's some way to place pressure on VW UK; meanwhile my £1000 deposit is accruing interest in THEIR bank account!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome to the joy of Reg Vardy. You've probably gathered the fact that they are a bunch of w8nkers! They lost the Audi dealership in Leicester a couple of years ago because they couldn't organise a shag in a brothel!

Did they quote you a delivery time when you ordered it?

Well, an exact date, no. This was done through Carfile, who apparently then got Reg Vardy to ring me. I took this deal as i was getting over a grand off, whereas the local dealers here were offering a fat zero off. Reg Vardy was saying probably July/August, but that's looking more and more unlikely. As i mentioned earlier, if this were a generic problem at the minute, i wouldn't mind so much, but i'm reading about people who have ordered same time as me, or ever later, and are getting build dates, and much sooner than the vague ETA i have received. What annoys me even more is that i've already paid a £1000 deposit!

I may well be wrong, but I get the impression each dealer has a number of build slots per month. Various brokers were referring people to Reg Vardy, so their initial allocation of build slots must have filled up extremely quickly. drivethedeal.com told me, some time in February, that they could still guarantee the price, but delivery would be some time around September. Got a similar story from another broker. In the end, I got another dealer to match the Vardy price, and they gave me a build date of early April.

Me thinks i'll just have to wait. If i cancel now and go to another dealership, i risk not only waiting longer but also paying more. It just pains me when i hear and read articles in this forum about people who have already got theirs, or are about to take delivery. All this after i purchased a used Mk IV GTi (2001) in December. What was i thinking of??!! Am passed now by just about every car on the road, it's that slow! Should have kept my Skoda Felicia and ordered the Mk V....ah well, life deals a bad hand sometimes!!

If i were you i'd tell em to feck off, pay list, and get it elsewhere. Come august, by the time they honour this deal, a whole new batch of GTI's is due from Wolsburg-so they'll be other deals around due to the amount of stock, maybe even another gem from drivethedeal.com

& don't worry about your GTI, we've all been there. Last year, I lost 6k on a beemer in 6 months when i decided it was too slow... ouch!

loddrik's posted a nice story about some poor dude with a Boxster (in the porsche thread) THAT WAS PAIN!!! i suggest you read it for therapylinky 169144-ok.gif

Oh yeah, forgot to mention i lost out on a Mk V GTi back in early February; i was told i could have a standard Mk V GTi from some internet dealer in Manchester, even paid the deposit, was told the car was as good as mine, was to pick it up early March, had even arranged the bloody loan, only to be told mid-February that somehow someone else had got my booked car....this is why i don't want to cancel now, just pissed off. On the flip side, gives me more time to save i guess, only problem being that the more i'm saving, the more Options i want on...

Thanks all for the replies. I called the salesman back, he's a nice bloke but very young and I think not completely on top of the whole order process. Closest he can give me now is a "probably the esecond week in May". It's going to absolutely kill me waiting until probably late may early June for delivery. I think my girlfriend and coworkers already want me to shut the hell up about the damn car already but I'm obsessed. blush.gif

The colour I ummed and ahhed about more than anything else, but I just thought feck it, if I'm blowing all the money on it buying new anyway I may as well get the car exactly how I want it or else I'd only regret compromising on it. Resale value and weekly washes be damned.

Cheers guys

Dan

The latest I heard was thet V Dubya is quoting June production and July delivery.

I ordered a 3 door, red with 18" alloys in Dec last year for a delivery in March. Got told this week that it is not even built yet. Informed dealer I wasnt happy and what else did they have. They found a 3 door, leather, 18" alloys and cd changer in Reflex silver for immediate delivery. Obviously spec is slightly higher but I get my car next week. If you want to get your hands on one quick this is the way to go as there are some out there unsold. I also know of a black 3 door with leather and 18" that is in stock and just looking for someone to buy it.

Appreciate this information mate, ta...

Wish i could afford what's on offer here; only reason i can afford one is because of the saving i am getting. Those prices seem to be very steep actually, but thanks for this information anyway...

Hi Lee,

I've put about 600 miles on it so far. I'll check the launch control out once I've let it run in a bit more...

Cheers, Neil