New GTI - Good car......though overpriced

balboni

I was v v close to putting an order in for a new GTi about 4 weeks ago. I test drove a manual and a DSG and was looking to put an order in for a fully specc'd GTi. (incidentally, have also negotiated 6% off list in the process). Decided against, as it was just too damn expensive. I am not a snob, but when I told my mates it was a 25K they laughed. And i can see why. 25K on a Golf is too much. 30K on an Audi 3.2 DSG is TOO MUCH!! Is it me being tight, or are these cars just over priced???

PS - In the end I went for a new Audi Cabriolet will v high spec for 29K !

I traded in a 4 month old A4 Cab 1.8T Multitronic for my Gti and have so far been much more impressed. The Cab is by far the least interesting car I have ever owned although I would say that it is very well put together. It is just not any where near as involving to drive as the GTi and I hated driving it on the motorway as it was gutless. I noticed the other day that 2 months after I had traded it in the VW dealer had it up for £29,000 which is just about what I paid for it 4 months and 4000 miles earlier which I thought is a bit optimistic (you didn't buy mine?). The 3.0 is probably a better proposition.

Believe me, I deliberated this one again and again. The GTi is beyond just merely being more interesting, it is almost class defining. I say almost in view of WRX STi, 350Z. However, the GTi is a brilliant execution of meshing practicality with fun. BUT... it is a hot hatch, and for 25K it is encroaching on cars that fall into a different class altogether. In terms of quality I compared the leather on the GTi to the leather on the Audi, and there really is no comparison. Build. Fit & finish. Style. Presence. And really that is what swung me towards the Audi. Agreed, it in no way compares in terms of a rewarding driving experience, but that is not to say you cannot enjoy relaxed comfortable motoring from the A4 Cab.

The GTI is a good car for just under 20k, but spec it up and ouch...!

but that said, you can spec a A3 3.2 to 30k and 330i to 40k if you wanted, and that too is ludicrous.

The trick is keeping the GTI, simple, clean and as close to 20k as you can. bearing in mind i used to see V5's on the forecourt for 25k and R32's for 30k I don't think the GTI is overpriced, it's on the money... it's just a shame VW have gone backwards in terms of the fit/finish!

For me to have parted with my cash, the quality inside needed to be more A3 and less Polo.

I think most will agree it is a good car. When you start adding options to it that's when it gets expensive.

I suspect that over time some options such as xenons may get added to the basic spec to make it better value. VW also have in the past added various options over the life of each model. So expect different wheels and Recaros etc to come available as options.

I agree, but as a long time Audi driver and currently a S4 4.2 owner I could not justify a specced up 3.2 of 2.0 FSI S-Line sportback to over 30k for a car that is uglier and not as much of a drive as the GTI. As for the VW customer service only time will tell but I have found the Audi ownership to be 2nd to none so I can't expect much better than that!

5 Dr DSG in 10 days and counting..........

[ QUOTE ]

I could not justify a specced up 3.2 of 2.0 FSI S-Line sportback to over 30k for a car that is uglier and not as much of a drive as the GTI.

[/ QUOTE ]

I paid £24.5k for my 3.2 with Full Leather, Sunroof, Bose, Metallic and Armrest (+ it comes with Quattro).